Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Kindle 2 vs Kindle 2 - Screen Refresh Problem

I've had my Kindle 2 for quite some time now, and it's well out of warranty. But this summer, while reading on the beach, I noticed pronounced screen fade in direct sunlight. I think it's always been there but it never really bothered me until now. So I called up Amazon to see what could be done about it, and they replaced the unit at no charge. Great service!

Now I've got both units and side-by-side there is a big difference. The screen on the newer K2 is much crisper, with much better contrast. And of course the sunlight problem seems to be fixed. Hooray! Just one problem though - the new K2's page turning is different; it flashes black as usual, but then when the text appears there is a microsecond lag before the text darkens. Overall it's not that much longer than the old K2, but it's definitely different. It's almost like the text has to come in to focus. And while I've never had a problem with the page-turn flash before, this little extra lag is annoying me. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I'm wondering if it's normal and just the price that I have to pay in order not to have sunlight fade, or is this something abnormal and I should ask Amazon to send me a different one.

Keep in mind these are the exact same units - identical model/fcc numbers etc.

Thoughts?
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
As you found out, Amazon's customer support is the tops. First thing I'd do is call them and describe the problem, and see what they say.

Hope it works out.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert