Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #61
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Nope no it's not. I can get up to 8 days on mine.

As it has been recommended to you in the past by others, you have a bad battery PLEASE WILL YOU JUST REPLACE IT!!!
Now you see, this is what I just don't understand.
Nobody on this forum who owns a Nook believes that you can read for nearly 200 hours on your Nook, so why say it.

We have already done a survey in these forums, the highest number of reading hours anyone has claimed is 20 hours (with everything but reading off) the lowest number of hours on one charge was claimed at 2.5 hours using wifi constantly. Most claimed 8-12 hours of reading time. Most sane people don't claim the battery life of any device as the time it takes the battery to go flat when not being used.

As to your claim that my battery is faulty, well in that case 50% of Nook owners have faulty batteries so a good reason not to buy a Nook.

Look at the poll results, in a Nook dedicated forum, 34% have voted for the Kindle 3, that suggests to me 34% of Nook owners are dissatisfied with their Nook and would prefer to own a Kindle. Quite an astounding vote really. I wonder what would happen if Amazon offered to exchange your old Nook for a new Kindle 3 at no charge?

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 09-04-2010 at 12:28 AM.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #62
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The new Kindle is very tempting. I love how light it looks and its better contrast really is noticeable. I've had my nook for a few months now and I'm fine with the contrast and weight, but sometimes my hands do start to get tired so I'd like a lighter reader.

However, the pluses on the nook still outweigh the K3 for me. I could easily sell my nook and get a K3, and probably still have a small profit left over. Just to point out one plus, my favourite favourite thing - swiping to turn pages - is only on the nook and I've gotten so used to it I think it'd be a deal-breaker for me.

For my money, I'll wait for the nook 2, which I'm hoping will come relatively soon and be lighter and with better contrast to outdo the K3.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #63
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the new kindle 3 isn't anything revolutinary, It took the Kindle out from the fields and gave it a shower and put it in a suit. Still basicall they device.

The Nook IMHO is still a better overall e-reading experience with the color touchscreen and the Barnes and Noble InStore experience. and oh yeah E-PUB
Interesting you should say that seeing as you don't own both. I do and without a doubt, the Kindle is a superior reading experience.

"E-Pub". That's a tired reason. With Calibre managing your e-Pub library it will transparently convert and place e-Pub books onto a Kindle. I know, as that's what I do.

There's far too much fanboy FUD around this K vs Nook debate or perhaps I should say too much B&N shilling?
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #64
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
Nobody on this forum who owns a Nook believes that you can read for nearly 200 hours on your Nook, so why say it.

We have already done a survey in these forums, the highest number of reading hours anyone has claimed is 20 hours (with everything but reading off) the lowest number of hours on one charge was claimed at 2.5 hours using wifi constantly. Most claimed 8-12 hours of reading time. Most sane people don't claim the battery life of any device as the time it takes the battery to go flat when not being used.

As to your claim that my battery is faulty, well in that case 50% of Nook owners have faulty batteries so a good reason not to buy a Nook.

Look at the poll results, in a Nook dedicated forum, 34% have voted for the Kindle 3, that suggests to me 34% of Nook owners are dissatisfied with their Nook and would prefer to own a Kindle. Quite an astounding vote really. I wonder what would happen if Amazon offered to exchange your old Nook for a new Kindle 3 at no charge?
Just a FWIW here; my Nook needed a charge every 3 to 4 days or so with wireless off. Even when not used that touch screen waiting to wake up was eating battery. My K3 arrived on the 27th, it's been charged once when it arrived and it still has 60% of its first battery charge left. Sure, I've only loaded a couple of books so the prerequisite indexing hasn't eaten much but still, impressive is an understatement.

Oh, and during this time I've used the lighted cover for at least 3 or 4 hours.

For those that can't be bothered to count, that means I'm on day 8 now.

Last edited by AdrianM; 09-04-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #65
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Seriously. Try a different battery. My ipod touch gets something like 8-10 hours, and I can tell you, the nook isn't anywhere near that ballpark.

Hell I just had it in my bag for like several days, pulled it out today for school. It had like 10% on the battery still.

No one claims the Kindle gets 500 hours of battery life while reading it. "Two weeks between charges" doesn't mean 2 weeks of 24x7 reading. It can go to a max of a couple of weeks between charges if not used / used lightly, just like the Nook can manage a max of about a week in the same circumstances with airplane mode on.

You've seriously bad problem with your nook or your nook battery. I don't know why you won't believe it. Instead you just keep threadcrapping in Nook threads that it has no battery life.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 AM   #66
AdrianM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
The new Kindle is very tempting. I love how light it looks and its better contrast really is noticeable. I've had my nook for a few months now and I'm fine with the contrast and weight, but sometimes my hands do start to get tired so I'd like a lighter reader.

However, the pluses on the nook still outweigh the K3 for me. I could easily sell my nook and get a K3, and probably still have a small profit left over. Just to point out one plus, my favourite favourite thing - swiping to turn pages - is only on the nook and I've gotten so used to it I think it'd be a deal-breaker for me.
That's a personal preference of course but I find the movement distracting. With the K3 the button presses require so little effort it's possible to forget you're actually doing anything and with your thumb resting on the buttons you don't need to move at all, just press slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
For my money, I'll wait for the nook 2, which I'm hoping will come relatively soon and be lighter and with better contrast to outdo the K3.
I really hope that B&N pull out the stops for the N2 and come with something special. Competition will only drive other manufacturers to improve; the new Sony's look to be awesome too and with rumours of a new Kindle in the works with a touch interface, it's all good.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #67
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Seriously. Try a different battery. My ipod touch gets something like 8-10 hours, and I can tell you, the nook isn't anywhere near that ballpark.

Hell I just had it in my bag for like several days, pulled it out today for school. It had like 10% on the battery still.

No one claims the Kindle gets 500 hours of battery life while reading it. "Two weeks between charges" doesn't mean 2 weeks of 24x7 reading. It can go to a max of a couple of weeks between charges if not used / used lightly, just like the Nook can manage a max of about a week in the same circumstances with airplane mode on.

You've seriously bad problem with your nook or your nook battery. I don't know why you won't believe it. Instead you just keep threadcrapping in Nook threads that it has no battery life.
Funny how some posters write anything except how many reading hours they get on one charge!. Makes you wonder if B&N doesn't employ people to troll forums .... it's actually a very cost effective marketing method. My instructions to such employees would be, don't tell outright lies, but sidetrack negative issues and make personal attacks on posters who bring up such issues.

PS
Kindle 2 owners seem to claim a 24-30 hour reading on 1 charge.

PPS
As your family has both why not just post how many reading hours you get on each device?

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 09-04-2010 at 03:27 AM.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #68
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Interesting you should say that seeing as you don't own both. I do and without a doubt, the Kindle is a superior reading experience.

"E-Pub". That's a tired reason. With Calibre managing your e-Pub library it will transparently convert and place e-Pub books onto a Kindle. I know, as that's what I do.

There's far too much fanboy FUD around this K vs Nook debate or perhaps I should say too much B&N shilling?
EPub isnt a tired reasoning, only Kindle owners tired of not having it and hearing about it. You don't have to jump through extra hoops or do something illegal. And sure it may not be complicted to you or me but there are many out there, like my father for example that would have no idea how to run and manage calibre. and oh yeah what's that huge advantage of e-pub Library books. That's huge to alot of people. Amazon does want to tie you into their eco system whether you want to believe it or not. They are copying the model that Apple set forth with it's ipods and itunes before they opened it up with AAC a couple of years ago.

fanboyish kind of like your Kindle 3 gushing you've been doing?

by the way I predicted your Kindle 3 response to the T.

Last edited by boswd; 09-04-2010 at 11:22 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #69
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Funny how some posters write anything except how many reading hours they get on one charge!. Makes you wonder if B&N doesn't employ people to troll forums .... it's actually a very cost effective marketing method. My instructions to such employees would be, don't tell outright lies, but sidetrack negative issues and make personal attacks on posters who bring up such issues.

PS

PPS
As your family has both why not just post how many reading hours you get on each device?
what's your deal with the batter y anyway, or you are just trolling this forum instead on the kindle forum? It's known the battery issues with the nook but are not so bad as you paint them.
If you like the kindle so much go and get one and stop trying to look the kindle as the worst ereader out there, just saying.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #70
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a nook and I love it, although I have to admit that I wish the battery life was longer. It doesn't sound like my battery life is as bad as Sarahsbloke, but it certainly is much less than my Sony 505.

Anyway, a lady I work with just got a K3 delivered yesterday, and I must say the screen on it is very nice. The K3 is very light weight as well--but the actual size of the reader (Length and Width anyway) was very comparable to my Kindle.

I'd still choose my nook over the K3 though--mostly because I really enjoy being able to download books from the library. I think I prefer the LCD touchscreen of the nook over the K3's keyboard, although to be fair except for a very limited time playing with it yesterday, I've never used the Kindle's keyboard interface.

I am very tempted by the new Sonys though. My husband has a Sony 900 and I love the way the touchscreen interface works. If it's true that they have indeed made the screens on the new models much clearer, I'm going to be severely tempted to buy a 650. I don't need wifi and I really like the way the Sony has integrated their dictionaries.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #71
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I really don't think this poll is a fair read since it's in a Nook forum
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #72
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
I am reading lots of blogs everyday. I know that Trook can read rss feeds but I dont know how. Is it convenient or not? I'm using Google Reader a lot. It would be very nice to have Google Reader program on the nook. As I have learnt from the internet, I can use web browser or Calibre to convert rss feeds to e-book.

Can you compare Nook vs Kindle 3? The most important factor is rss reading. And I really like the opennes of the nook because it has Android OS. I have Nexus One and I really like it. I chose it over iPhone and I am very happy with it.
First off, I haven't read this whole thread, but seeing as how it's turned into a battle between the two readers, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents against your question about Google Reader, as that was one of the deciding factors in my decision between Nook and Kindle 3 since I was also tired of reading RSS on a Nexus One (or HD2, depending on my mood).

Secondly, I've written the only known Google Reader app for the soon to be released Windows Phone 7 (G:RSS @ http://nowsci.com/techviews/20100612...s-phone-7-wp7/ , so hopefully my recommendations will hold at least a little weight.

Nook
The Good: The Nook is "open" in that it runs Android. And in fact, if you get a Nook that has the serial number of 1002 (outside of the box) or older, you can install custom software on it, including a custom Google Reader app: http://nookdevs.com/GReader . If you're a techie, search the internet for Nook Emulator, and you can actually try out the Nook (for the most part) as an emulator using the Android SDK.
The Bad: While the Google Reader app functions well, it's lacking some really basic functionality. It will only read one label at a time, meaning if you have your feeds organized into different folders, there is no way to browse those feeds. Next, it doesn't allow you to browse a feed by title or teaser, so you have to read every item sequentially. Also, the 1002 models are quickly disappearing, meaning no more "open" OS (for now).

Kindle 3
The Good: A Webkit browser means that even the iPhone based Google Reader web-page will work on the Kindle 3.
The Bad: Refresh rates are a pain when using the mobile sites, and there's no good way to "jump to next article" when you're reading. Clicking around with the D-pad is not a good experience when you want to skim articles.

So, realistically, the Google Reader experience on both devices is.. not good. That being said [warning: plug ], I'm currently in development on a Web-based Google Reader app for e-Readers that will support both the Kindle and the Nook. With the Kindle, the goal is quick highlighting of links for next articles, and with the Nook it's formatting the skin to include all the controls on the LCD pre-scroll that match the standard browser's visual controls. You can see a screenshot in this thread, where I'm working on an SSL bug right now: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97398 *edit* Added the screenshot of the LCD here so you don't have to click. */edit*

I'm waiting for my Kindle 3 to arrive so that I can begin the skin porting process, and hopefully will release by the end of October.

Thanks,
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NookMenu.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	57729  

Last edited by Fmstrat; 09-05-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #73
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:

There are Kindle owners who post on the Nook board. I keep an eye for the Kindle vs Nook topics and people who post here looking for a new reader and not in the generic looking for an e-reader topic. So I voted for K3.

Try not to be surprised. (grins)

I have had a Kindle for two years now and have yet to buy or download a free book that requires conversion from EPub to Mobi. I know it can be done but I have not had to do it. I have well over 300 books on my DXG. Sorry but EPub is not that big of a deal in the US. The only time it is an issue is for the library and even then it doesn't have to be an issue if you don't want it to be.

Outside of the US EPub is more of an issue since it appears to be the prefered format. I suspect that will change now that the Kindle is international and more and more people are buying Kindles outside of the US. A smart publisher will provide both Mobi and EPub formats when the Mobi format prefered by Amazon starts to take off. The Kindle has been international for about a year now. The number of e-books available for the K1 grew pretty dramatically after year one and has continued to grow ever since. I expect a similar growth outside of the US this year.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #74
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

PS

PPS
Yes. I am a Barnes and Noble paid professional anti-Kindle troller.

I haven't sat down and counted how many hours each gets. I know my wife's kindle gets better battery life - it doesn't have a tiny LCD screen on it. Everyone knows the kindle has better battery life. I'd say it gets about 2-2.5x what the nook gets (which is what everyone says, pretty much).

Example: the Nook goes days before needing a recharge if it isn't being used much. I charged mine over the weekend. Unplugged it on Sunday morning, and took it on vacation with me (on airplane mode). I didn't use it at all (was reading a hardcover on the trip). I just checked the battery. It is at 80%. It's Wednesday morning (2 days and ~20 hours later).

I made no personal attacks. Simply stating, like many others have stated, you either need a new Nook or a new battery. Yours is BROKEN.

I'll quote you from before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke
I have a Nook, but battery life is poor (about 10 hours reading), the OS is flaky. In the morning the battery might be dead, even with a full charge at night. It might not wake up from sleep and I have to pull and insert the battery while plugged into a PC. I just want to read books, the Nook doesn't always allow me to do that (it works properly about 28 days out of 30). The Kindle is far more stable (battery life about 30 hours) reading, and if choosing again I would go for a Kindle.

I don't live in the USA, I can't change it for a new one, many Nooks have problems and require returns to B&N. Not a problem if you live in the USA. I would say this device is really not suitable for residents of other countries
No one else reports this kind of behavior requiring battery re-seating. I have not re-seated the Nook battery a single time. No one else reports it running from full battery to zero overnight when it isn't being used, either. No one else reports an 4-8-hour battery life. No one reports is regularly not resuming from sleep.

Yet you insist on trolling on every Nook thread on how the battery life sucks and how it's not a stable device. Your nook has a serious problem. That doesn't mean they all do this stuff.

You have a valid point about getting service outside of the USA. That's always a hazard of importing things. But the rest of it - you either have a bad battery, or you got a flaky unit that is in need of an RMA or replacement.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 09-08-2010 at 01:56 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #75
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If I had an e-reader of any brand and the battery needed to be recharged every 4 hours with the 3G mode turned off, I would be calling customer service. There is clearly a problem.

In case anyone cares, My K1 lasts about 13 hours without a charge. I know this because I read most of my plane flights between Washington DC and Sydney, Australia, including waiting to change planes in San Fransisco. I don't sleep well on planes and only watched two movies. The rest of the time I was reading so about 13 hours. I had a backup battery just in case my 18 month old K1 on its first battery had power issues but I didn't have to use it.

The battery life on the K2 is suppose to be double the K1. The battery life on the K3 is suppose to be double the K2.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote