Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Brandon202000
Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: SONY
Unhappy PRS-500 Battery Life After Epub Upgrade

Another poster mentioned that both his PRS-500s (2) seemed to have shorter battery life after the Epub firmware upgrade.

I, too, noticed the same, at first thinking it was because my 500 is old and the shortened battery life was something I had not noticed before.

But now I have my doubts.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Brandon202000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Noticing something myself. I fully charged mine before I sent it off and it came back with a half charge. I wonder if the update screws up the charger calibration. I'm going to run it till it dies and see what happens.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
Both of my upgraded PRS500's run out of juice after maybe 4 days or so. Both used to last for a couple of weeks. So the upgrade is starting to look like the gift that keeps giving (see my good news for Mac owners on another thread.)
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If I remember correctly, when the 600 was announced, Sony specifically listed battery life based on Sony's format vs. ePub, with ePub eating more power than Sony's format.

So it seems reasonable to imagine a decrease in the amount of time between recharges, all other things being equal...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon202000 View Post
Another poster mentioned that both his PRS-500s (2) seemed to have shorter battery life after the Epub firmware upgrade.

I, too, noticed the same, at first thinking it was because my 500 is old and the shortened battery life was something I had not noticed before.

But now I have my doubts.

Has anyone else noticed this?
With all the pluggings in I've been doing since getting it back it's hard to be sure
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I was getting shorter and shorter times between recharges before the upgrade, so I went ahead and ordered a battery off of Ebay while it was gone. When it came back the battery life was still weak, perhaps weaker. I popped the little 500 open, swapped the battery, and now it lasts even better than when it was new.

I certainly can't say for certain, but it seems our problems stem more from 2-3 year old li-po batteries than from epub.

Just my 2 cents.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
I was getting shorter and shorter times between recharges before the upgrade, so I went ahead and ordered a battery off of Ebay while it was gone. When it came back the battery life was still weak, perhaps weaker. I popped the little 500 open, swapped the battery, and now it lasts even better than when it was new.

I certainly can't say for certain, but it seems our problems stem more from 2-3 year old li-po batteries than from epub.

Just my 2 cents.
Can you share your purchasing link and price? I have to charge my 500 every night now.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader

I do think the battery life is a little bit shorter even with my new battery, but it's LOTS better than before I swapped.

Here's a link to the seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
I asked the Sony Repair guy about this when I was getting the slip to send my reader in for firmware upgrade. He said that they didn't have any way to replace the battery at the same time. It would be another repair order and another whole shipping cycle. Too bad they didn't think of that, they could have gotten my money pretty easily.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
I was using old lrf's that were on my card so its not epubs that are eating the battery
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_T View Post
I was using old lrf's that were on my card so its not epubs that are eating the battery
Then it is card issue.
Try to read it from internal memory.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Just my $.02 - It's not a card issue. I don't use a card in my Sony, and I've been loading books as .lrf (epub sucks - wish I hadn't done the upgrade). My battery life has been cut to 1/2 or (if I'm being generous) 1/3 of what it used to be.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader

I'm sure the epub books chew up the battery a little more quickly than the lrx format did, but it's a pretty good swap to get access to the epub format IMHO.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
Just my $.02 - It's not a card issue. I don't use a card in my Sony, and I've been loading books as .lrf (epub sucks - wish I hadn't done the upgrade). My battery life has been cut to 1/2 or (if I'm being generous) 1/3 of what it used to be.
It is really worrying to hear people complain about battery life degradation after the upgrade
I think that you have to start a new topic, maybe even with poll asking people who did the upgrade whether they noticed a significant battery life degradation or not. Then email Sony and include a link to the poll. Maybe it will grab their attention.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
My observations: I have 2 upgraded 500s and the battery life is MUCH shorter than before. I used to get 10-14 days on a charge with typical reading levels. Now I get 3-4 days. This isn't a subtle effect for me.
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote