Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
kdelany
kdelany began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Wiggling the Smart Media card out

I'm a new owner of an eBookwise 1150 with 128 Smart Media card in and I'm really enjoying it. Just got a card reader so now I'm looking at trying that copying stuff to the card deal (intending to start with Flatland https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15731).

I've got as far as peeling open the darker grey rubbery bit on the back of my eBookwise and poking warily at the small black bit (next to the Do not remove card while unit is on warning) that I assume is my Smart Media card.

Could someone be so kind as to describe to me how I wiggle, slide, or otherwise get the card out? I'm feeling very cautious as I don't want to damage anything (probably difficult, but reassurance is always nice!)
kdelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
My trick was take a piece of Scotch tape and slide it into the slot, sticky side facing the SmartMedia card. Apply a little pressure, pull gently...and with any luck, the card will pull out.

After I pulled the card out, I made a "permanent" Scotch tape "tab" on the SmartMedia card. I applied a short piece of tape to one side, folded it over, and stuck the other end on the reverse side of the card. Then I repeated - because a single layer of tape really was too thin and it broke too easily.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
My trick was take a piece of Scotch tape and slide it into the slot, sticky side facing the SmartMedia card. Apply a little pressure, pull gently...and with any luck, the card will pull out.

After I pulled the card out, I made a "permanent" Scotch tape "tab" on the SmartMedia card. I applied a short piece of tape to one side, folded it over, and stuck the other end on the reverse side of the card. Then I repeated - because a single layer of tape really was too thin and it broke too easily.
that's a good idea. i've got one card which comes out easily, the other is a real ordeal.

some important advice kdelany, when you remove / insert the card,
BE VERY CAREFUL THE EB1150 IS TURNED OFF !!!!

ideally, you should turn it off, remove the card, turn it back on and off again, and be certain it is off before re-inserting the card.

apparently, the eb1150 is VERY sensitive when it comes to the memory card and i hear you can easily brick the card and / or the device (!!!) if you don't do it properly (thus the warning).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that's a good idea. i've got one card which comes out easily, the other is a real ordeal.

some important advice kdelany, when you remove / insert the card,
BE VERY CAREFUL THE EB1150 IS TURNED OFF !!!!

ideally, you should turn it off, remove the card, turn it back on and off again, and be certain it is off before re-inserting the card.

apparently, the eb1150 is VERY sensitive when it comes to the memory card and i hear you can easily brick the card and / or the device (!!!) if you don't do it properly (thus the warning).
I think a bricked eb1150 can be recovered using the reset pin and typically a bricked card can be recovered by formatting it on the device itself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think a bricked eb1150 can be recovered using the reset pin and typically a bricked card can be recovered by formatting it on the device itself.

Dale
that's very reassuring to know, however i still hope to avoid having to test that information myself.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
John-K9jgs
John-K9jgs is on a distinguished road

Device: eBookwise, Treo 650
Removing eBookwise card

The scotch tape trick sounds good.

I found that on my new unit (just taken out of the shipping box today) I could remove it by catching my fingernail in the little (VERY little) depression on the card and tease it ouf that way.

Might as well have left it in. When I got it out it was quickly obvious that I have no reader that will accept it (gee, it's THIN!) so I put it back in (machine turned off all the while of course) and will have to resort to the USB cable for loading books.

John
Indiana
John-K9jgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-K9jgs View Post
The scotch tape trick sounds good.

I found that on my new unit (just taken out of the shipping box today) I could remove it by catching my fingernail in the little (VERY little) depression on the card and tease it ouf that way.
I just make sure my thumb is "grease-free" and depress a bit hard onto it with my thumb sideways and drag it out while pushing down.

Quote:
Might as well have left it in. When I got it out it was quickly obvious that I have no reader that will accept it (gee, it's THIN!) so I put it back in (machine turned off all the while of course) and will have to resort to the USB cable for loading books.

John
Indiana
I recently got one of these Ultra All-in-One Card Readers that read SM cards.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I purchased one of those all-in-one readers to load books onto a new Smartmedia card. When I looked at the books on the card that came with my ebookwise-1150, the folders and files weren't anything that I recognized. I have a number of txt and doc files that I converted using ebookwise librarian that I thought I could just drag to the card but I was unsure how to accomplish this. Is it possible?
kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I purchased one of those all-in-one readers to load books onto a new Smartmedia card. When I looked at the books on the card that came with my ebookwise-1150, the folders and files weren't anything that I recognized. I have a number of txt and doc files that I converted using ebookwise librarian that I thought I could just drag to the card but I was unsure how to accomplish this. Is it possible?
kaz

Sure is!

Just drag the .imp from the your hard drive onto the drive letter assigned to that card reader for SM cards. Be sure to drop it in the root directory of the SM card and not in the ebooks directory. The EBW1150 will take care of converting the .imp into the .RES format that the EBW1150 "actually" uses.

Inside the ebooks directory, you will find the .imp exploded into its .RES dir name folder with all its .RES filetype files. To retrieve one of those .RES folders/ebooks, just follow steps #1 to #6 of this post.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Thanks so much! It took me hours to load all my books from ebw librarian to my new SM cards. I wish I had checked here sooner!
kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Thanks so much! It took me hours to load all my books from ebw librarian to my new SM cards. I wish I had checked here sooner!
kaz
If you are just getting started, then check all the programs that handle/manipulate/convert the .imp format in our wiki i.e. IMP software

And be sure to install Impserve which can be found here along with my plugins. The plugins can also be found here and you may want to refer to this post about getting the secondary programs (Lit2sb, Mobi2IMP and PDFRead quickly installed).

Hopefully this isn't info overload for ya...

Oh, and by the way, welcome to MobileRead.com (the .IMP way!)
Old 01-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
kdelany
kdelany began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Success!

Success! I've now got Flatland on my reader, thanks to everyone's advice here.

zelda_pinwheel, I appreciate your concern about being sure the device is off, and used your advise of turning it on and back off while the card is out to be sure.

John, I didn't even notice that thin recessed line but after reading your post managed to get my thumbnail hooked enough to carefully wiggle out the card.

FizzyWater, thanks for being the first to reply. The card was stiff so I may try your sticky tape trick yet!

kazbates, I'm glad this thread helped you as well!
kdelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Woo-hoo!

The little recessed line didn't work for me because...well...I'm a nail-biter. Nothing to grip with. I think I used tweezers, once.

So the tape is pretty much permanent on my SmartMedia cards. Seems like the tape "tab" breaks off maybe once or twice a year and I have to reapply. But it works well enough for me.

Enjoy your eBookwise!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
after destroying my first card tring to get it out of the reader ( =( .. snap )

On my 2nd card what ive done is get a small strip of duck tape and made a little handle.

I put the tape at the top, and folded it over so there is about 1/4" tab that sticks out above the card.

I then just fold the tab over when I want to close it up, and its very easy to get it in and out.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
John-K9jgs
John-K9jgs is on a distinguished road

Device: eBookwise, Treo 650
I note the instructions on the website suggest using a rubber-y eraser (like a Pink Pearl, I guess) to get a little traction on that stinky little card to draw it out of its lair.

I was thinkimg that I could coax it out with some tasty .pdf files - wouldn't you think it would crawl out for that?

I like the two tape ideas too, very useful. My card is getting easier now that it has been in and out a few times.

John
John-K9jgs is offline   Reply With Quote