Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #166
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Yeah, I meant Windows 8 Metro Apps (not just windows programs) from the Windows App store....those should also be available for the RT App Store. Correct?

My thinking is that a developer will be more willing to develop for RT because they know the app can also be downloaded for Windows 8....which will have a huge user base.
Correct. The App Store has the same content for the desktop and RT versions.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #167
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
So far the reviews have been very strong for the hardware aspect. They think the O/S is an interesting alternative to iOS and Android, but it lags a bit. The major negative has uniformly been the dearth of apps, which we all knew before any reviews. Although, I think most apps can be replaced by the actual website. I don't think any reviewer gave the proper importance to the Office suite preloaded on RT though.

Overall, I plan to check out the Surface at a popup store in NYC on Friday and buy it after I put it through its paces, assuming it passes. I'll base my decision on HD video over netflix and youtube, Word on a complex document, excel on a financial model, powerpoint, the 2 keyboards, and general web browsing. I'm undecided on which keyboard to buy.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #168
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I found it interesting that reviews mention things like no Facebook app or Twitter app. Mind my signature when i say this- They aren't needed. The People Live Tile works just fine for keeping track of and responding to messages in either, the share charm works great to share things you find on the net to either AND the IE 10 resolves Facebook etc etc exactly as it does here on my laptop. Dedicated apps for either would just be superfluous.

forgot to mention- you can even pin tt he individual web pages as tiles on the start page so they are just a click/touch away. dont have to open the browser and then click a favorite ( that can be done too) I've done that with google plus on my Nokia because there isnt a G+ app .

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 10-24-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #169
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Asus is now offering a Windows RT called the VivoTab RT for $599:

Incredible performance, small form factor.
Operating System: Windows® RT
Processor: 1.3 GHz NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 quad core processor
Display: 10.1" Super IPS+ Panel with 178° viewing angle and 600 nits brightness
Storage: 32 GB/64 GB flash memory
Battery: Polymer 25 W/h, up to 9 hours1

The Asus Vivo Tab is noted to be coming soon:

Our most incredible tablet to date.
Operating System: Windows® 8
Processor: Intel® Atom™ Z2760
Display: 11.6" Super IPS+ Panel with 178° viewing angle and 600 nits brightness
Storage: 64 GB flash memory
Battery: Polymer 30 W/h, up to 8 hours1; also coming soon

The ASUS TAICHI™ 21 Convertible Notebook/Tablet
Operating System: Windows® 8 (64-bit)
Processor: 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3317U (1.7 GHz)/Intel® Core™ i7-3517U (1.9 GHz)
Display: Dual 11.6" IPS Full HD display (1920x1080) with 10-finger touch for notebook and tablet functionality
Storage: SATA III SSD 128 GB/256 GB
Graphics: Intel® GMA HD
Battery: 6 cell with up to 5 hour of battery life
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #170
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
The Asus Vivo Tab is noted to be coming soon:

Our most incredible tablet to date.
Operating System: Windows® 8
Processor: Intel® Atom™ Z2760
Display: 11.6" Super IPS+ Panel with 178° viewing angle and 600 nits brightness
Storage: 64 GB flash memory
Battery: Polymer 30 W/h, up to 8 hours1; also coming soon
12 inch tablet, huh?
That is good. Hope the weight isn't too high.
64GB and 8Hr battery suggest it'll *list* for around $999 but since ASUS products do get discounted a street price of $800 looks doable after a couple months.
Spring 2013 is looking to be interesting.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #171
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
12 inch tablet, huh?
That is good. Hope the weight isn't too high.
64GB and 8Hr battery suggest it'll *list* for around $999 but since ASUS products do get discounted a street price of $800 looks doable after a couple months.
Spring 2013 is looking to be interesting.
Goodereader is saying it is slated to start at $799 They also will have a Vivo Tab Smart starting at $499.0
Quote:
Vivo Tab Smart features and Intel Atom Z2760 Clover Trail processor and runs Windows 8. Price starts at $499 and includes a 8 megapixel camera. It offers around 9 hours of battery life. More details are awaited.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #172
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Goodereader is saying it is slated to start at $799 They also will have a Vivo Tab Smart starting at $499.0
Oooh-kaaayyy.
Maybe we won't have to wait til the spring to see a Win8Tab at $800.
I'll have to keep an eye on ASUS: unlike ACER, it looks like *they* got the right message from the SURFACE release.
Smart Tab, huh?
Yeah, things are getting interesting now...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #173
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Re the commercial itself: I just love how it screams "we have reinvented the mouse-click", to date the most iconic "computer use" sound in films etc. Very well done!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #174
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I would definitely wait for the wave of Win8/Win RT tabs to hit the market before buying any.

On the other hand, as soon as the Samsung Ativ Pro Pc will be available in Germany, I will try to get one to supplement/replace my work laptop :-)
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote