Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
Different touchscreens and their sensibility

I tried Sony eReader touchscreen, you cannot control if if you put a screen protector on. However, I found some other touchscreen (that is also e-ink/e-paper), after you put a screen protector on, you can still control it. However, I still feel I have to be very-careful, when I touch the screen coz e-ink/e-paper screen seems so fragile, I feel like I am touching egg shell. Sometime I feel I rather don't use the touch screen.
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Which Sony eReader with a touchscreen did you try? What kind of screen protector did you apply? The PRS-600 style touchscreen is different than the PRS-350/650 style. The latter uses IR transmitters/receivers in the bezel, like the Kobo, Nook STR, and new Kindle Touch devices. I'm not really sure what technology the PRS-600 used (not sure if it was resistive or capacitive), but I suppose that could maybe be affected by a screen protector. On the IR models, as long as the screen protector is thin and applied correctly it should not interfere with the IR grid projected on top of the display.

Also, eInk isn't that fragile. You're unlikely to damage it through regular touching, or there'd be tons of posts of broken Sonys, Kobos, and Nooks. IMHO, if the developers wanted a screen protector over the eink screen they would've put one there and so I don't use a screen protector on any of my devices (not on my phone, not on my Nook STR, and not on any of my tablets).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I'm not really sure what technology the PRS-600 used (not sure if it was resistive or capacitive), but I suppose that could maybe be affected by a screen protector.
The PRS-600 has a resistive touch screen. Nothing wrong with the touch-screen itself; the real issue with it was its mirror-like surface, making it sometimes difficult to see the screen due to reflections on the surface.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PRS-600 has a resistive touch screen. Nothing wrong with the touch-screen itself; the real issue with it was its mirror-like surface, making it sometimes difficult to see the screen due to reflections on the surface.
In which case a screen protector should definitely not interfere with it.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
In which case a screen protector should definitely not interfere with it.
It didn't. I used a screen-protector on my PRS-600 to reduce the reflectivity.
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
PRS 650 is the one I was referring to.
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmeal View Post
PRS 650 is the one I was referring to.
There's absolutely no reason that a screen protector should interfere with the screen on a PRS-650, because the screen itself has nothing to do with the "touch" mechanism. That's a a "grid" of invisible infrared beams which are about 1mm above the screen. As long as you don't apply a protector that's so thick that it interferes with the IR beams, it will work fine.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Although I read a LOT. And my PRS-650 screen is fine.

As is my old PRS-600, which my wife now uses.

My biggest complaint with the -600 versus the -x50 series is the much lower contrast. Not the glare.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I get a lot of food on my 650, lol. The screen surface is quite durable to my eye. I do use only water moistened microfiber to clean it. A screen protector is not likely to prevent full-on e-ink cracking damage anyway (in case of a drop or being sat on). I recommend going naked.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I get a lot of food on my 650, lol. The screen surface is quite durable to my eye. I do use only water moistened microfiber to clean it. A screen protector is not likely to prevent full-on e-ink cracking damage anyway (in case of a drop or being sat on). I recommend going naked.
Since it is now inevitable that this will be posted...

I may as well do the honors.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #11
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have an expensive screen cover for my iPad and iPhone and it doesn't interfer with the ability to touch. All my ereaders have something to protect them also but they are not touch but I still prefer to cover them up. Just as all my keyboards have covers. Sorry, back to the question, standard covers should not cause problems to your touch screen but you may simply have a device with a poor screen. I played with plenty and they are all different.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote