Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Sony veteran and first Kindle experience

I was visiting my folks last week after having sent them a K3 as a belated holiday gift. Once the book is open, it's a great experience reading the same continuous title.

However ... the menu navigation was a nightmare. Granted I wasn't used to it, and yes, I did keep trying to touch the (bleep)ing screen!

I ran into the situation that my dad (who has Parkinsons) finished a sample that he liked, so I bought the book, but I had to go back to the sample to see the location where it ended, and then (tediously) fast forward to that point so he could resume reading. Did I miss something - was there a better way?

There appears to be no DELETE feature on a Kindle? My mom was surprised to see me tethering the unit, and deleting stuff from her PC.

Unless there was a more detailed User Guide I missed, the one I encountered focused heavily on adding (their) content, and not a lot else? I stumbled across the web browsing feature under "experimental", almost by accident.

I'm now convinced I'd get a 950 next before getting a Kindle if I want to add internet.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You can easily delete items by hitting left on the d-pad and selecting Delete or right-click and select delete from the list of choices.

You're right about the samples, that's been an annoying problem since day one, and I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet. I generally note the location number and then select Go To Location from the menu when I start the full book. This should work better once page numbers are widely implemented, but it's still a work-around.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

I hadn't realized there was a "Go To Location" feature.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I use the "GoToLocation" after reading a sample -- but I suggest a bit of caution. One of the first samples I read was editted -- when I skimmed the real book to find my spot, I realized that the real book had a few extra lines (interspersed) which the sample hadn't had. Hopefully, no one does that to their samples any more. But I'm never sure ....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
When you are used to the touchscreen navigation on the Sony ereaders, it is difficult to get your brain around the Kindle organization system. They are quite similar though once you get used to the differences. As you noted, the Kindle is all about the wireless ecosystem and interaction with the Amazon store for ebooks and also Audible.com (owned by Amazon) audiobooks. You have to remember that the Amazon CEO, Jeff Bezos, in response to comparisons to the iPad emphasized that the Kindle is all about reading. I think that's why they place the web browser and music player in the Experimental submenu, which would not be intuitive to a Sony user to find them there. The music player truly is experimental and practically featureless. The K3 web browser though is quite sophisticated. I would call the 950 browser experimental by comparison. The K3 even has an image photo viewer like your Sony does, which many people probably don't even know! You have to create an images folder and then enter a special keyboard code to activate it.

Here are some tips for when you help your parents with their K3. The Menu key on the K3 is like the Options key on your Sony. Press it anywhere to see a list of menu options. The 5-way navigation joystick is also critical. Moving it left and right will often bring up menu options. You probably didn't guess that one! For example, when you have highlighted a book to open, press the left button and it brings up the option to delete the book. Press the right button and it brings up a special menu related to that book where you see the book cover, you can add it to a collection, you can go to last page read or a specific location, you can search the book, you can see your annotations, you can see a book description from the Amazon store, and you also have the delete option again.

The other thing about interfacing with the Kindle is that you can do many things by special keyboard combos. For example, Alt + G refreshes the screen if you have ghosting. Here is a link to the MobileRead wiki on Kindle Keyboard shortcuts.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Amaz...oard_Shortcuts

After playing with your parent's K3 last week, I would guess that now you understand better why Kindle users so often say "I want my wireless, who cares about touchscreen" and Sony users so often say "I want my touchscreen, who cares about wireless". Me, I like both, which is why my 950 is my primary ereader. Hope that helps you understand the differences a little better.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Thanks!

I didn't think the web browser was particularly sophisticated, but I only tried it for a couple of minutes. Moreover, where they were staying had a wireless connection available, but the 3G indicator was ON; I couldn't figure out whether Wifi is a "subset" of 3G or not?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I wouldn't call the K3 browser sophisticated in comparison to my iPhone, but it does have more features than my 950. I'm ok with that. The 950 is Sony's first attempt at a web browser so I don't expect it to be perfect. Too bad Sony doesn't have a history of firmware updates to make improvements. One can't have confidence that the recent firmware update will happen again.

I like the article mode on the K3 where it can isolate just the text of the article on the website which makes it easier to read. The 950 can't do landscape orientation in the browser which is a big oversight in my opinion. Also I wish that Sony let you download from websites besides their bookstore.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Moreover, where they were staying had a wireless connection available, but the 3G indicator was ON; I couldn't figure out whether Wifi is a "subset" of 3G or not?
I just realized that I didn't comment on this part of your message. I have the Wi-fi only K3. However, from what I understand about the Wi-fi + 3G model, it's either wireless on or wireless off. If Wi-fi was available but the 3G indicator was on, then I think that means that the Wi-fi connection was not established / active. If the Wi-fi connection was established, then it should have taken priority over the 3G. Maybe the Wi-fi where they were staying needed a password to be connected or Terms & Conditions to be accepted?

The 950 is different. You can control Wi-fi and 3G to be on/off independently of each other in the menu settings. There is also a switch to turn all wireless on/off.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I downloaded a sample and a book, and asked my mom "How do you know when it's done?" She replied, "I don't think you're notified - you have to check to see if the item is listed (yet)." They aren't going to be doing any browsing, so the 3G is fine for the occasional Kindle store transfer.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah, I don't search for books from my Kindle. I search on my mac and tell amazon to send them to my Kindle. I try not to buy books until I'm ready to read them, and in the right mood to read that particular book. So I send myself the samples. Then, when I've read the sample and really do like it, I click "check the details online" (or something like that) and see what the price is ..... (on the Kindle) .... and THEN decide to buy. So I'm using the web on the kindle, but only for books that I've already sampled. You could do that for your folks too, if they'll let you access their account.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Excellent suggestion! I rarely shop from the Kindle. I do something similar - browse and buy on the Amazon website and then select for the book or sample to be wirelessly delivered to my K3.

Also just a tip that you can gift ebooks now and could buy specific books for your parents too.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yeah, I don't search for books from my Kindle. I search on my mac and tell amazon to send them to my Kindle.
I didn't know this & I feel like I usually check out books at amazon & then shop on the kindle.This makes much more sense. DUH
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Excellent suggestion! I rarely shop from the Kindle. I do something similar - browse and buy on the Amazon website and then select for the book or sample to be wirelessly delivered to my K3.

Also just a tip that you can gift ebooks now and could buy specific books for your parents too.
I'll have to look into that as there's a book I really think they'd like (which I've read).