Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Teardown: A look inside Kobo's eReader

For those of you tech heads who are interested, here is a couple of links to what's inside that pretty little piece of plastic your holding.

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2010...kobos-ereader/

More Pictures of the Kobo's inards:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

Enjoy.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Actually, I think the FCC pictures are the originals of all of those. Too bad they are sort of fuzzy. I haven't tried to figure out how to open up my Kobo. I think it is snap together, but it might have glue or ultrasonic welding, too. I don't want to break it I like it (mostly) just the way it is.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Actually, I think the FCC pictures are the originals of all of those. Too bad they are sort of fuzzy. I haven't tried to figure out how to open up my Kobo. I think it is snap together, but it might have glue or ultrasonic welding, too. I don't want to break it I like it (mostly) just the way it is.
Pholy, I think most of us like our Kobo just the way it is. AND I really think most people reading ebooks, don't really care what's behind the screen, as long as it works. I was just fulfilling that morbid curiousity that most of us humans seem to have. Yes, it is too bad the pics are sort of fuzzy.

Last edited by Orochi; 05-15-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
If the Kobo comes out with WiFi capabilities - will it be call the i-Kobo? Yak, yak, yak.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
I believe the case is snapped together. I accidently dropped the Kobo & the case broke & a small piece came off (sh*t). I just snapped it back in place.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The images are also available on our local wiki. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo...r_disassembled

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
I believe the case is snapped together. I accidently dropped the Kobo & the case broke & a small piece came off (sh*t). I just snapped it back in place.
Ahh... the first person to drop one. was it a bad drop? Does the KOBO still work? I have been wondering about this since I was battered about on a busy subway ride. Ebooks are all good and fine but, if I drop a paper book it still works afterward.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Roy Hinkley
Roy Hinkley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the look inside. I'm still trying to decide what to get. If they improve the sans-serif font and add full-justification, I'd gladly go with the Kobo.

The pictures have me curious about replacing the 1000mAh battery with a 2000mAh one for longer time between charges.

The switches in the 5-way button look pretty standard. I think it would be easy to replace them with a "softer" one that doesn't click.

Also, removing the bluetooth board would likely give longer battery life since I would never be using bluetooth anyway.

I might just have to get one to "operate" on it.
Roy Hinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Also, removing the bluetooth board would likely give longer battery life since I would never be using bluetooth anyway.
The bluetooth module is only powered up when you explicitly tell the Kobo to sync that way via a menu... as far as I know, I don't think we even have the option to be in always-available mode with the current firmware.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Ahh... the first person to drop one. was it a bad drop? Does the KOBO still work? I have been wondering about this since I was battered about on a busy subway ride. Ebooks are all good and fine but, if I drop a paper book it still works afterward.
Yea, it still works fine. I've also read somewhere else here that the bottom left corner appears to be somewhat "flimsy". Guess which corner broke on mine!
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #11
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hinkley View Post
Thanks for the look inside. I'm still trying to decide what to get. If they improve the sans-serif font and add full-justification, I'd gladly go with the Kobo.

The pictures have me curious about replacing the 1000mAh battery with a 2000mAh one for longer time between charges.

The switches in the 5-way button look pretty standard. I think it would be easy to replace them with a "softer" one that doesn't click.

I might just have to get one to "operate" on it.
Yeah, those buttons are horrible!, can't believe they used those instead of the soft rubber ones with imprints at the bottom to close the circuit. The stuff you find on calculators.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
Yeah, those buttons are horrible!, can't believe they used those instead of the soft rubber ones with imprints at the bottom to close the circuit. The stuff you find on calculators.
Personally, I totally approve of the clicky switches. I like the tactile feedback. (But then I'm using a model M keyboard!)
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I like that the buttons are pretty 'tough', so I don't accidentally hit them all the time. On the other hand tho, sometimes the presses just don't registers.... even when I feel and hear the 'click'
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I like that the buttons are pretty 'tough', so I don't accidentally hit them all the time. On the other hand tho, sometimes the presses just don't registers.... even when I feel and hear the 'click'
Agreed, on all points.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
drawlll
drawlll began at the beginning.

After looking at the pics it looks like it would be pretty easy to fit a new battery when it eventually becomes necessay. The only thing that would worry me is getting the cover off without breaking it, anyone done it yet.
drawlll is offline   Reply With Quote