Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
zoma
zoma began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Irex DR800S doesn't show calibre-epubs

Problem solved. Sorry for that.

Last edited by zoma; 03-08-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Error on my side.Everything ist okay now.
zoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
can you post an example of such an epub file? I'll have a look.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
jhoff80
Enthusiast
jhoff80 began at the beginning.

Device: none
It might be helpful to mention how you solved the problem, too, in case anyone else ever has the issue.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
arroba
arroba began at the beginning.

Device: irex DR800S
yes, please!

I'm a complete ignorant in these issues, many times I try to convert a book (rtf, htm) and the epub looks o.k. in the calibre viewer and in epubreader but when I try to open it in the device (DR800S), nothing at all... my way to solve it is doing a big mess with wordpad and notepad until I get a txt file with no formats at all, and I then I can see it in the DR800 but the result is quite ugly...

I haven´t been able either to open html files, it only displays the first page and the flipbar doesn´t work anymore... and I have to reset the device. Does it happen to anybody else or it is I´m starting with a "bad" html file?
arroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arroba View Post
yes, please!

I'm a complete ignorant in these issues, many times I try to convert a book (rtf, htm) and the epub looks o.k. in the calibre viewer and in epubreader but when I try to open it in the device (DR800S), nothing at all... my way to solve it is doing a big mess with wordpad and notepad until I get a txt file with no formats at all, and I then I can see it in the DR800 but the result is quite ugly...

I haven´t been able either to open html files, it only displays the first page and the flipbar doesn´t work anymore... and I have to reset the device. Does it happen to anybody else or it is I´m starting with a "bad" html file?
Hmm, I haven't had any issues. I've converted a couple hundred books with no issues. I did have an issue with one epub that I pulled down from manybooks.net, but I just ran it through Calibre and it fixed whatever the issue was.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
zoma
zoma began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
arroba is right. I just cannot give you a file here, sorry. It is not calibre. The file is okay with Sony or Cybook which I tried myself. Open the same converted file with Irex 800S you get this mess. I think it is a reader for pdfs (neglectable line distortions if you have the page dimensions right) and drm-epubs only.
zoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoma View Post
arroba is right. I just cannot give you a file here, sorry. It is not calibre. The file is okay with Sony or Cybook which I tried myself. Open the same converted file with Irex 800S you get this mess. I think it is a reader for pdfs (neglectable line distortions if you have the page dimensions right) and drm-epubs only.
It should work with non-DRM epubs. Maybe there's something that isn't configured right in Calibre? As Mr. Goodbar says, he's doing basically the same thing and it works for him.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a wild guess, but what language/font is your ePub using? Maybe it's trying to use a font that the DR800 doesn't have, so the pages show up blank?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Hmm, I haven't had any issues. I've converted a couple hundred books with no issues.
Ditto. A little over 300 ebooks (Mobi, Kindle) stripped of DRM (if any) and converted in Calbre to ePub. All the many I've checked and read on my DR800 have worked perfectly fine.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arroba View Post
I'm a complete ignorant in these issues, many times I try to convert a book (rtf, htm) and the epub looks o.k. in the calibre viewer and in epubreader but when I try to open it in the device (DR800S), nothing at all.
It is hard to know what is wrong without an ePub to try. If you can make this happen with an ePub without copyright issues, attach the ePub to a post and I'm sure you will get plenty of expert advice.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

One thing I just noticed is that if I use Calibre to convert a TXT document to ePub and have it put on a default cover, the pages don't show up when I open the ePub using Sigil, only the cover shows up. If I tell Calibre not to put on a default cover, then it works fine in Sigil. Is this a bug in Calibre that some readers might handle OK, but not all?

For those that convert these and they work find... do you put covers on them in Calibre?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
For those that convert these and they work find... do you put covers on them in Calibre?
Yes, for dozens that somehow lost theirs along the way. (I think Calibre wasn't looking in the Mobipocket program's "covers" folder when I imported all those.)
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
arroba
arroba began at the beginning.

Device: irex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is hard to know what is wrong without an ePub to try. If you can make this happen with an ePub without copyright issues, attach the ePub to a post and I'm sure you will get plenty of expert advice.
Thanks, you are right, I´m not having this problem with my ow rtf files, I can convert them and they display properly in the dr800. With the problematic files, I´ve found (after spending a little time reading other threads ) that running calibre with the debug option and running it again on the index.xhtml file seems to work (both results look o.k in epubreader but only the second one displays in dr800)

Regarding the html files, the device it supposed to read them but it only shows the first page and I cannot go on reading the document... I am attaching an example:
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (11.8 KB, 246 views)
arroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
javifields
Enthusiast
javifields began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
I have also problems to read epub files generated with calibre in my DR800S.
It works correct for rtf -> epub.
But when I transform from lrf to epub and copy to the DR800, the book is blank.
javifields is offline   Reply With Quote