Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way to view/convert scanned PDFs?

What's the best way to view scanned books in PDF format on an ereader?

I have one scanned book in PDF form, and there are big left and right margins, so I thought this might be contributing to how much it downsizes on an ereader. I tried to fix this by cropping the pages in Nitro PDF, but even after cropping, the margins still appeared on the ereader - even though they don't appear on my computer's Adobe reader. I think this is because the ereader has to display certain dimensions - and I don't know how to change the page dimensions of the PDF.

Anyway, what is the best way to view scanned-book PDFs on an ereader, and what can I do to fix the specific book I mentioned so that it views better?

Thanks.
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
If it's a scanned PDF (image based) there are several solutions PaperCrop, PDFLRF, and PDFRead.
  • PaperCrop is my favorite, imaged base reflow, customizable crop. Only outputs (PNG, JPG, TIFF, or PDF)
  • PDFLRF is no longer on MobileRead you'll have to torrent it. Only produced LRF but makes the BEST LRF
  • PDFRead : Supports the most devices (IMP, MOBI, LRF). But the LRF does not look very good.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 05-27-2009 at 04:39 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
What's the best way to view scanned books in PDF format on an ereader?

I have one scanned book in PDF form, and there are big left and right margins, so I thought this might be contributing to how much it downsizes on an ereader. I tried to fix this by cropping the pages in Nitro PDF, but even after cropping, the margins still appeared on the ereader - even though they don't appear on my computer's Adobe reader. I think this is because the ereader has to display certain dimensions - and I don't know how to change the page dimensions of the PDF.

Anyway, what is the best way to view scanned-book PDFs on an ereader, and what can I do to fix the specific book I mentioned so that it views better?

Thanks.
What e Reader do you have?
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
enarchay
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill75 View Post
What e Reader do you have?
Sony PRS-505.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
A strong second for PDFLRF for this kind of job. If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll send you a link.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
enarchay
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
A strong second for PDFLRF for this kind of job. If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll send you a link.
I couldn't find it.