Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Format shifting now legal in the UK

I doubt it makes much practical difference, since many people assumed it was legal anyway, and circumventing DRM isn't allowed. All that said, I'm happy to see this change, because I think it's reasonable to want to format shift, and reasonable activities shouldn't be illegal.

Quote:
The exception is limited to personal use of lawfully obtained originals, and does not allow any sharing of the works, including with close family members.*It also does not allow for the removal of any anti-copy technical protection measures, including those found on most DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. Given most media consumption is moving to a pure digital environment constrained by such measures, it remains to be seen how effective the new right will be in practice. How many people will be ripping CDs in ten years time?
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog...ar-last-hurdle
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
You can't back up the DVDs with a normal burner that you find in computers, unless you remove the encryption. The encryption keys are stored in a part of the disk that the burners won't allow you to read or write, so just copying the rest of the data to a new disk leaves you with an unplayable copy. You still have to break the law to back up those optical disks. We have the same law here in Canada, and it's just as broken.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
The anti-circumvention provision is similar to anti-circumvention provisions in U.S. and Canadian legislation, and is just as poorly thought out.

So I can copy a file for my own use, unless the publisher has put a digital lock on it, and then it becomes illegal? Why does a publisher's imposition of a digital lock change my right to make a backup for my own use? I can't distribute the backup in any event. This does, however, serve to highlight how skewed copyright has become in the UK (and Canada, and the U.S.) toward copyrightholders rather than the public (i.e., by allowing the copyrightholder to control your right to do something that most probably don't think of as wrong).

It's even more insane (but not at all surprising) that not only did copyrightholders fight this right, they also tried to demand some form of compensation for letting people have it.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 08-01-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
The anti-circumvention provision is similar to anti-circumvention provisions in U.S. and Canadian legislation, and is just as poorly thought out.
I (and the blog post that I linked in the OP) agree that the anti-circumvention clause is silly. I still think, though, that this is an improvement in UK copyright law. At least now I can legally rip all of my CDs to MP3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
It's even more insane (but not at all surprising) that not only did copyrightholders fight this right , they also tried to demand some form of compensation for letting people have it.
It's even more ridiculous given that the BPI said that they wouldn't sue anyone for making personal copies back in 2006.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I (and the blog post that I linked in the OP) agree that the anti-circumvention clause is silly. I still think, though, that this is an improvement in UK copyright law. At least now I can legally rip all of my CDs to MP3.
This is MobileREAD: more importantly, you can legally scan your books and make epubs. (Which I believe is also legally the case in Canada, but I'm sure it's untested in the courts).
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
This is MobileREAD: more importantly, you can legally scan your books and make epubs.
But you still can't legally remove the DRM and convert an ePub to a Mobi/etc (or, as is usually the case, to a "better" ePub"). That's the restriction I would like to see lifted, for personal use, because it "criminalizes" legit customers who wish to use their purchased e-books on different devices.

Making backup copies of copyrighted, but not copy-protected, material for personal use has always been legal here (Germany, and probably in all EU countries).
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Note that "Format shifting now legal in the UK " won't be true until October.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
I doubt it makes much practical difference, since many people assumed it was legal anyway, and circumventing DRM isn't allowed. All that said, I'm happy to see this change, because I think it's reasonable to want to format shift, and reasonable activities shouldn't be illegal.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog...ar-last-hurdle
Without the right to "format shift" something that is "copy protected" you haven't fixed anything.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Without the right to "format shift" something that is "copy protected" you haven't fixed anything.
There is a minor matter that is fixed.

Amazon demands exclusivity for indies using some options of KDP (Kindle Digital Publishing) but allows DRM-free publication.

So you can legally format-shift for a non-Kindle platform.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
There is a minor matter that is fixed.

Amazon demands exclusivity for indies using some options of KDP (Kindle Digital Publishing) but allows DRM-free publication.

So you can legally format-shift for a non-Kindle platform.
Exactly. It's a small step forward, but it's good to see a step forwards instead of backwards.

I have a Nook, a Kindle, and plenty of DRM-free ePubs and Mobi files. At least now I can legally convert them to use on whichever reader I wish. Plus, I can scan paper books to use on my ereaders. For me, these are useful functions that I would like to be able to do without breaking the law.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Exactly. It's a small step forward, but it's good to see a step forwards instead of backwards.

I have a Nook, a Kindle, and plenty of DRM-free ePubs and Mobi files. At least now I can legally convert them to use on whichever reader I wish. Plus, I can scan paper books to use on my ereaders. For me, these are useful functions that I would like to be able to do without breaking the law.
Does this allow scanning services to be used to scan and digitize paper books for personal use? I highly doubt you would want to spend either the time and or money to do so yourself. Mostly time if you scan individual pages of a book one at a time. Or money to invest into an automated multi page scanner that will scan a whole book by itself. Another thing to consider with the automated approach (you or a scanning service) is the neccesity to destroy the book. Once you cut the binding off, I doubt the book has much resale value if it is even legal to do so.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Does this allow scanning services to be used to scan and digitize paper books for personal use?
I believe so, but I'm not a lawyer ;-)