Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #31
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Please add me to your list. My participation will be up and down with my travel schedule, but I love good books.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #32
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi everyone!

First of all, many thanks to our moderator, NatCh, for making this thread sticky!

VillageReader, grooks, and Leep, I'll make sure you're added to the list.

Also, if anyone has comments or suggestions on ways to make this an even better experience, please feel free to continue to throw them out. I have a feeling it may take us a couple of months for things to really start running smoothly, and it's a major priority for me to to try to address everyone's concerns and requests...so keep them coming!
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #33
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
Sounds good, and not read the book, so put me down please.. Also, since I'm working with a lot of Indian colleagues I'm sure I'll find it particularly interesting...
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #34
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
You know, this could be a "group" in the MR "Groups" section. Just sayin'.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #35
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
GatorDeb
badgoodDeb
I first saw badgoodDeb and I thought, wow, I've already developed a tough reputation around here

I can't say I've had the pleasure of reading her posts
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #36
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Well then, I'll have to show you one, so you know who I am!

(actually, badgood is a combination of my last name and his last name ....)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #37
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Ok, when are we to have the 1st book completed?
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
Ok, when are we to have the 1st book completed?
See message 20 in this thread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #39
Mom of 4
Mom of 4 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi everyone! Just joined yesterday and I want in! Sounds like you all will be a fun group! I've wanted to be in a book group for a long time, but can never seem to make it to a meeting, so an on-line discussion group will be perfect!
Mom of 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #40
cybear
cybear began at the beginning.

Red face

I'm in, but I'm also in grad school, so not sure I can keep up with this as much as I would like. But I'll try!!
cybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #41
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
It's a great idea, with a nice side effect in that the previous discussion threads might prove useful to others in the future to help them decide if a new author or book would be to their liking.

Quote:
P.S. I also wanted to add that per Elsi, I think if the Book Club takes off it would be a good idea to concurrently run two books: one classic from the public domain, and one contemporary book. My thoughts are to see how it goes, and try that after a few months if folks are enjoying it.
I think that would be a good idea. It allows those who only want to buy a book now and then to still take part as well as giving those who already own or have read the selected book, an alternative option.

However, with the abundance of free books (that are still in copyright) for example Baen free library and the numerous authors who provide a selection of their books via their own websites. There's always the option of providing a paid and free alternative each month in the same genre assuming that won't dilute discussion too much?

Perhaps down the line, if this really did take off with a decent monthly participation, you could negotiate some sort of discount/promo code for those taking part with the various book sites

Anyhow, so long as the book is available in a format I can convert to fb2 for reading, I'll likely take part. Quite like the idea

PS If you're wanting to get a Passage to India, it's worth checking out fictionwise today as they're still doing the 50% micro rebate. The book is $5.99, but you'll effectively get $3 off a future months book choice

Not sure if the book will be my kind of thing, but I'll give it a go, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised

Last edited by JoeD; 10-15-2008 at 09:41 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #42
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I'm in... If it is still ok to join?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
I'm in... If it is still ok to join?
Nope, you posted 2 minutes late according to the time stamp on your message.

JUST KIDDING! Of course... there is really no membership requirement. You don't even have to be on any official list. Just read the book and join the discussion when Jo opens the thread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #44
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone!

I'll add UKHaiku, Mom of 4, cybear, JoeD, and Slite to the list.

As Bob mentioned, the club is going to be relatively fluid...if you've read the book, you can dive into the discussion! There aren't any requirements or true deadlines (unless, of course, you want to discuss November's book in December...that might be bit dicey, since it will have already been discussed ).

I just finished Wicked last night, so I'll be starting on A Passage to India in the next day or so.

I also wondered what thoughts people had for the discussion thread...it could be a free-for-all, or there could be structured questions for discussion that are posted each month, based on the book.

Let me know what you all think.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #45
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Count me in as well, sounds like a great idea.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote