Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #31
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
May I know how long it takes to get an estimate from the time you start your first book?

Also, is the reading speed universal for all books? Lets say I get a time left for reading book A. Will the same reading speed be used to calculate time left for book B too?
The guesstimate starts after flipping the first page.
It may be incorrect, but it gets adjusted every page you turn.

Skipping pages because of pictures, lists, links, hyperlinks, titles etc, makes the estimate go off.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #32
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I go through about 200 books a year, so probably 6 years worth on the PW I guess for me, which isn't too bad but still... Wouldn't kill them put in more storage.

I really like the idea of a PW but it doesn't seem to be quite there yet so I'm holding off and will wait and see what the next iteration has to offer I was given a Kandle clip-on light when I got my K3 and I've used it a grand total of 3 times in over 2 years!
You could always move the books to the cloud storage, 5GB at this moment, perhaps more in the future.
So make that 21 years worth of books (which of course, by that time the kindle is old and worn).
You could also save your books on a harddrive, and upload them when you want to re-read them again. This would make your storage unlimited.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #33
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
You could always move the books to the cloud storage, 5GB at this moment, perhaps more in the future.
So make that 21 years worth of books (which of course, by that time the kindle is old and worn).
You could also save your books on a harddrive, and upload them when you want to re-read them again. This would make your storage unlimited.
I don't really like or trust the cloud I'm afraid - it's fine as a form of back-up but I'd hate to have to rely on that. And all my books already are on my computer but I still much prefer to have them *all* on my Kindle as well. Yes, I know, I'm peculiar but surely I should be allowed to have them where I want them rather than where Amazon thinks is "easiest" or "best". I hate being dictated to

Last edited by Yolina; 01-08-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #34
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I'm into the computer business for many years already, and I still own programs I downloaded in 1995 or before that.
But I do notice that harddrives do tend to get corrupted over time.
SD cards the same, but more because of multi read/writes rather than because of keeping data static.

USB flash drives have served me well to keep my most important data saved.
They can keep files for decades without corrupting.
I still have some files on my first USB flash drive ever, a 128 MB drive I bought in 2000-2001.
And it still works wonders, albeit a bit slow, as it's a USB1 drive.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #35
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
But I do notice that harddrives do tend to get corrupted over time.
Quick question,

those hard drives that you note get corrupted ... are those drives that you have in use, or at least regularly back up to each other, or drives you leave alone for a long time?

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They added a separate setting.
That's the first thing I did was turn the recommended books off.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Quick question,

those hard drives that you note get corrupted ... are those drives that you have in use, or at least regularly back up to each other, or drives you leave alone for a long time?

Best regards,
Andy
Any Hard Drive can go bad at anytime. It doesn't even have to be powered on. Lately it seems the quality control on hard drives have taken a huge nose dive. I've gone through a few in the last couple of years. I would never trust my only copy to a external hard drive or internal hard drive. For me I use Discs. I have DVDs that are are over 12 years old that still work. I always keep three backups though. I do use External drives but it's not my main backup. I use Discs/Cloud/External Drive when it comes to my ebooks.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #38
Luminose
Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The UI hasn't actually changed, Blossom - the PW's UI is (other than the light) the same as that of the Kindle Touch.
That's only as of the latest firmware which I believe didn't even come out until today, 1/8/2013.
Luminose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #39
ProDigit
Karmaniac

hard drives that are in constant use, have their data moved around a lot stay healthy longer, because of re-magnetizing the data. That's why a harddrive light is never really off on a Windows vista/7 computer.
Harddrives of the nineties, below 8GB used to have a data retention life of 4 to 6 years. Harddrives today are 2 to 3 years tops, before they start corrupting or losing data.
Maxtors are the worst.
SD cards keep data for a long time, but get corrupted when a lot of data is written over sectors. You may know SD cards are flash memory cards with MLC's (meaning there's multiple of data bits stored in one cell, leading to degradation when a lot of read writes are being performed).

CD-R's have a shelf life of about 3-5 years, 7 years tops. DVD's of 5-7 years, 9 tops.
But, it's still better than a floppy disk!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

CD-R's have a shelf life of about 3-5 years, 7 years tops. DVD's of 5-7 years, 9 tops.

I've never had a disc go bad yet. I have discs from 1998 that still work. I have CDs much older that still work just fine.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #41
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

I've never had a disc go bad yet. I have discs from 1998 that still work. I have CDs much older that still work just fine.
Same here!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #42
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Audio CD's are of different quality to CD ROMS or CD RW's.
I've had several corrupted within 5 years.
It also depends on how you store them. They seem to hold out best in a cool, dark room or storage space.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Oh, OK, yes . I always use list view myself, so I forgot about those .
Actually, Harry, as of today, you are right: KT got an update that makes them exactly the same:
covers
Recent order on cloud list
Time to read
Fixed layout support
Also whispersync for voice for audible player
Etc

It feels like a new device! No new fonts of course (lower screen resolution).

The good news is that most likely we can assume that any update for PW should also be available for KT going forward.

So far I haven't been able to download any of my fixed layout books ('device not supported') but probably they have not updated the supported properties in the store yet.

A very happy Kindle day....
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
hard drives that are in constant use, have their data moved around a lot stay healthy longer, because of re-magnetizing the data. That's why a harddrive light is never really off on a Windows vista/7 computer.
Harddrives of the nineties, below 8GB used to have a data retention life of 4 to 6 years. Harddrives today are 2 to 3 years tops, before they start corrupting or losing data.
Maxtors are the worst.
SD cards keep data for a long time, but get corrupted when a lot of data is written over sectors. You may know SD cards are flash memory cards with MLC's (meaning there's multiple of data bits stored in one cell, leading to degradation when a lot of read writes are being performed).

I've got numerous CD-Rs which are 20 years old. 7 years is most definitely not "tops" for their storage. They don't degrade - keep them safe from physical damage and they should last virtually indefinitely. They were designed for 100+ year storage life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #45
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I've got numerous CD-Rs which are 20 years old. 7 years is most definitely not "tops" for their storage. They don't degrade - keep them safe from physical damage and they should last virtually indefinitely. They were designed for 100+ year storage life.
Unfortunately, some of them do degrade, depending on the chemicals used in the writable layer. Especially badly if they are subject to UV in visible light.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote