Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2009 Book Club Vote
My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse 31 36.90%
Topper by Thorne Smith 11 13.10%
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of The Dog) by Jerome K Jerome 37 44.05%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 3 3.57%
The Silence of Colonel Bramble by by André Maurois 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #76
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I voted for Three Men in a Boat after downloading and reading a few pages. How does the Book Club work? I didn't see anything about it on the Forums page.
From the below MR link is the social groups page listing the various groups on this forum..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/group.php?do=grouplist

I've quoted from that page...

Quote:
Book Club
Group Maintained by pilotbob

The Mobileread Book Club is an informal group which every month selects a book to read and then discuss on the forums.

Each month on the third week a thread is created to gather nominations for the next months book based on an established genre schedule. After 5 days or ten books being nominated a poll is created. The poll is open to all and runs for 5 days.

Each month on the fourth week a discussion thread is created for that months book. This thread is open for everyone to post their impressions, reviews etc. about the book.

The MRBC threads are in the "Reading Recommendations" section. There are no requirements to join and no dues. Join in on the fun. We'll see you in the forums.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #77
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I voted for Three Men in a Boat after downloading and reading a few pages. How does the Book Club work? I didn't see anything about it on the Forums page.
It's very information. Read the Welcome Info / Intro thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30382

If you have any questions, ask in that thread to keep everything in one place.

We also have a Book Club group if you go to the Community section of Mobile Read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...and the Winner IS:

(well you can all see the winner in the poll)...

So get reading. I will open the discussion thread on July 26.

BOb
Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #79
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
A close fought battle. I'm sending the book to my Kindle!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #80
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
If you would like to download the winning book it can be found on the following pages:
lrf version
prc version
epub version
imp version
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #81
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
If you would like to download the winning book it can be found on the following pages:
lrf version
prc version
epub version
imp version
Thanks.... you saved me a few mouse clicks. Although, I might end up downloading it to my Kindle directly using the MR Download Guide.

BOb
Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've started Three Men in a Boat and have finished chapter 1. Not a laugh or a giggle yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #83
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've started Three Men in a Boat and have finished chapter 1. Not a laugh or a giggle yet.
Good news for folks with diametrically different tastes (us 'Passage to India' fans for example).
We'll probably bust a gasket on this one!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #84
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You are a Vulcan after all.

BOb
Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #85
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
TMML.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
TMML.

BOb
Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #87
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I know we're not discussing this yet, but I did want to report that I read the first four chapters last night. Not hysterically funny, but amusing.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I know we're not discussing this yet, but I did want to report that I read the first four chapters last night. Not hysterically funny, but amusing.
Yes, amusing is a good way to describe things. Another word that comes to mind is quaint.

I did finish The Discworld book Lords and Ladies and yes, it did have groans and laugh-out-louds in it. Maybe we should have chosen a Discworld book instead.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-23-2009 at 01:13 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote