Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
akleiw
akleiw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
I finally configured my Kindle to talk via https and I'm happy to report that I haven't experienced any problems since.

When ServerConfig was set to use http url.todo, the download from Amazon would get stuck at 0%. I can send you logs generated by the Kindle.

I'm curious how do you configure Kindle for PC to work with KSP?

Thanks!
akleiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
pwr
pwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with others

Device: Kindle 4NT
Hey, glad it finally worked .

Quote:
Originally Posted by akleiw View Post
When ServerConfig was set to use http url.todo, the download from Amazon would get stuck at 0%. I can send you logs generated by the Kindle.
Hm, that's strange. Will have to look into it. No need for the logs, I'll have to test it anyway -- thank you for the offer though .

Quote:
I'm curious how do you configure Kindle for PC to work with KSP?
This is a tricky one.

Technically, Kindle for PC/MAC have a local file with settings (.kinf2011, in ~/AppData/Local/Amazon/Kindle/storage/ on PC, some equivalent on Mac). The file is crypted because it contains the Amazon credentials, client registration & SSL certificate, etc.

Decrypting this file _is_ possible -- I'm guessing writing to it as well, though I haven't tried -- with code from a certain toolset written in Python. I've seen people here are wary of linking to it, or even mentioning it, because its primary purpose is decrypting various book DRMs -- so I'll just say it can be found on Google. In any case, using it for reading .kinf2011 is rather cumbersome, requires a certain version of Python installed, so I did not bother much with it.

Another solution is to install a HTTP proxy (I've used Fiddler2 on PC, I think Charles Proxy might work as well), enable HTTPS decrypting in it, and configure Kindle for PC to use it as a HTTP proxy (Tools menu/Options/Network). Then you will see basically the same Todo calls as the ones done by the Kindle device. Then you can use the proxy to alter the response on one of the HTTPS calls, where you specify the replacement url.todo value, as your server_url. The procedure is not really simpler than modifying the .kinf2011 file directly, but it carries less liability I think .

I plan on updating the KSP documentation with the exact procedure soon(ish), but right now I'm trying to finish the stuff I'm currently working on -- automatically sync-ing the last read position between devices. I feel that without this feature there is little reason to use KSP with multiple devices at all. And after that, I also plan to have the annotations automatically sync as well, right now they are stored by KSP but only really work on the device you've created them on.

Cheers,
-pwr
pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
pwr
pwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with others

Hello,

More updates: I've implemented the atomatic sync of last-read position and annotations across devices in KSP, and I've also added documentation for configuring Kindle for PC to talk to a KSP server.

Cheers,
-pwr
Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
pwr

Quote:
Hey akleiw,

I've tested my Kindle with KSP over http://, and book downloads from Amazon work for me. Do you still have the logs when it did not work for you?

Cheers,
-pwr
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
akleiw
akleiw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
Sorry for the wait, I've PM'ed you the logs (skip to 19:00). I'm not sure though, if it's worth the trouble to investigate this problem until somebody else complains about it.

On Sunday I'm going try KSP on my friend's kindles; he's got Kindle 4 and Kindle 3 3G, books will be served from OSX Lion. I'm going to check whether it works without SSL.

Thanks for the instruction for setting up Kindle for PC, it worked like a charm. I had no problems downloading from Amazon when KSP server was set to http.

Last edited by akleiw; 05-18-2012 at 02:55 PM.
akleiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
I know this is an old thread, but I had just started to look into reverse engineering whispersync for this exact reason. Has anyone reached out to you about it working/not working on the Paperwhite yet? I'll be trying this out (manually) with it.

Thanks,
Ben
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #22
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
this is incredible, amazing work
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote