Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Trying to choose a new ereader.

Hi,
I need some advice. I have a rooted nook tablet but for some reason it makes my eyes burn if I try to read for long periods of time. I prefer e ink. I also have an Aztak EzReader 6inch that I have been using for the past few years. It does the job but since ereaders have improved so much over the years I would like to upgrade. Being able to connect to the bookstore via wifi would be wonderful as would a touch screen. It is sad to have paid $250 back in the day when most new readers are way cheaper but.....

Anyway,
Most of the books that I have are epub so( unless I am mistaken )any reader from amazon would not be compatable. I have been looking at getting a nook glow but reviews are a mixed bag. I am looking at the nook simple touch glow/nook simple touch/kobo. This purchase will be made for christmas. If I go with a nook product..I will root it.
1. Is the nook glow that bad or would it be better to buy the old style one and get a lighted cover?
2. Is the glowlight just as bad on the eyes as a backlight screen? I know research has now claimed that there is no difference between e ink and lcd but I can read for hours on an e ink screen with no side effects)

3. Does anyone know if the kobo glo will be available in the US before christmas?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'd go with the Sony T1 or T2 or the Nook Simple Touch (with no light). Both are great as is or rooted (well, not sure about rooting the T2 yet).

I would bet, if they can meet supply needs, Kobo Glo will be released in the US before Christmas. The Mini is reported to be at Best Buy, I read that somewhere.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
As an alternative to Kindle, I quite like my T1. It has a touch screen and you can connect to book stores. I've downloaded a lot of Kobo books on it. It's comfortable to use.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote