Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #61
jarretttt
Banned
jarretttt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
how do i know if kindle 3 (keyboard) has started to download the upgrade?

I had my kindle 3 wifi on for several days now, still no update. I wonder if has started download or not. anyone who successfully updated via wifi maybe could tell, when it starts to download, is it just silently happen in the background or there's a prompt or progress bar indicating the download?
jarretttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #62
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My KSO upgraded itself to 3.3 about a month ago. So far, none of the new features have any significance for me.
My K3, now KK, upgraded itself at some point unknown to me.

To me, this is an annoying update. I email articles to my kindle via klip.me all the time. After I read them, I don't want to remove them. I don't want them cluttering up my archive. I want to delete them. Now I have to go to the kindle page and tediously delete them, one by one. Bummer.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #63
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Working on the 'if it ain't broke' principle, I'll hold off updating my Kindle until I need to. The only change I would like to see is a firmware solution to my Kindle occasionally hanging for minutes at a time when I annotate or highlight. I don't want to mess around switching off Indexing and then switching it on again.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #64
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
My K3, now KK, upgraded itself at some point unknown to me.

To me, this is an annoying update. I email articles to my kindle via klip.me all the time. After I read them, I don't want to remove them. I don't want them cluttering up my archive. I want to delete them. Now I have to go to the kindle page and tediously delete them, one by one. Bummer.
If you're not interested in this feature go to Manage Your Kindle @ amazon and turn off Personal Document Archiving. It's a bit annoying to me at the moment... but once I can deliver these personal documents to other Kindle apps/programs I'll appreciate it much more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
Working on the 'if it ain't broke' principle, I'll hold off updating my Kindle until I need to. The only change I would like to see is a firmware solution to my Kindle occasionally hanging for minutes at a time when I annotate or highlight. I don't want to mess around switching off Indexing and then switching it on again.
This drives me crazy. More often than not it totally hangs and I have to force a reboot on the Kindle.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
Next time you hook your Kindle to a computer, check the size of the MyClippings.txt file. It is probably getting too large. When you add a highlight, it has to scan to find the end of the file, then it needs to save, then index it. Back it up and delete it, that should improve performance.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #66
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Next time you hook your Kindle to a computer, check the size of the MyClippings.txt file. It is probably getting too large. When you add a highlight, it has to scan to find the end of the file, then it needs to save, then index it. Back it up and delete it, that should improve performance.
If you delete the MyClippings.txt file will it re-create itself on the Kindle?
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #67
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
If you delete the MyClippings.txt file will it re-create itself on the Kindle?
It should be created the next time you make a highlight/note.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #68
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
It should be created the next time you make a highlight/note.
Thanks. Karma to you.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #69
BakerBug
BakerBug has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretttt View Post
how do i know if kindle 3 (keyboard) has started to download the upgrade?

I had my kindle 3 wifi on for several days now, still no update. I wonder if has started download or not. anyone who successfully updated via wifi maybe could tell, when it starts to download, is it just silently happen in the background or there's a prompt or progress bar indicating the download?
Can anyone answer this? I'm wondering the same thing.
BakerBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #70
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBug View Post
Can anyone answer this? I'm wondering the same thing.
When it finishes downloading it will typically restart itself and run the update within a few minutes. I don't really know how to tell if it is downloading other than the spinning icon in the upper-left screen, but if your connection is good it will download the update in a minute or two, so you might not notice the download taking place. I think the spinning icon only displays at the end of the download, so if you blink you will miss it.

If you think it might have downloaded, you can go into Settings and select Update Your Kindle from the menu. If Update Your Kindle is greyed out then the update wasn't downloaded.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-21-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Just manually update. It's quick and easy. If you can sideload a book using USB you can do a firmware update.

Download the right bin file for your Kindle. Plug Kindle in then drag and drop bin file into the root directory. (The place you first see when your Kindle drive connects)
Eject Kindle, Go to Menu/Settings/ Hit Menu Again and select Update your Kindle from the menu options. Sit back and wait till done.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #72
jimmythesaint
jimmythesaint began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
I am getting the same failure as others have posted.

First, it appears to work, then it enters a second update screen and fails.

This is an unhacked kindle. No modified software whatsoever.

Interestingly, I am left with a bin file that has been renamed to a long name made up of seemingly random numbers.
jimmythesaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #73
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythesaint View Post
I am getting the same failure as others have posted.

First, it appears to work, then it enters a second update screen and fails.

This is an unhacked kindle. No modified software whatsoever.

Interestingly, I am left with a bin file that has been renamed to a long name made up of seemingly random numbers.
Someone posted to make sure the Kindle doesn't have anything to download and is not indexing. They had failure the first time till they made sure the Kindle was idle and the second time it installed fine.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #74
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
The software just downloaded to my Kindle a couple of hours ago. Everything went fine.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #75
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Not that I'm worried as the update seems pretty minimal, but I'm just wondering... I'm in the UK and both our standard Kindle 3 Wi-Fi's state they are running version 3.2.1 and the 'Update Your Kindle' option is greyed out?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote