Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Questions about T1 or Sony readers in general

I have about 200 books on my new T1. Whenever I want to add books to a collection, I have to go through ~200 books to select the books. Is there a fast way to reach the specific books without going through all the books one by one?

Another related question: after I download books from the web, how to add them to the collections? I find the downloaded books are not listed with other books.

Thank you.

Last edited by pj123; 10-07-2011 at 02:47 AM.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
fewilcox
fewilcox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have the same question and a related one so I'll ask it here instead of starting a nearly identical thread: Can you search for specific words within in a book? One of the things I disliked about my dear, departed 505 is that I couldn't use it to look things up in reference books so I won't be buying another ereader that lacks that function even though I love what I've already seen of the T1.
fewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am kind of confused by OP's questions, so I will let someone else reply. But to answer fewilcox's question - yes, you can search for specific words, with the disclaimer that some users have been reporting problems with searching backwards (some bug in the PRS x50 series, not sure if it was fixed with the T1).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Do see thread

Does anyone like their T1?

I discovered from this - I think, but find it difficult to believe - that you can't delete books !
Hope I'm wrong, but............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I discovered from this - I think, but find it difficult to believe - that you can't delete books !
Hope I'm wrong, but............
You are wrong!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
re: deleting. There is a delete books option. When in title list/collection view-the far right menu button brings up delete as one of the options

Last edited by beespeckled; 10-07-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: to add example photo
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
Fewilcox- you can do search I just tried it. You access it via the menu button when you have a book open, "search" is the first option on the second screen located with Orientation and Settings. I tried it out with "balloon" it took a while for it to scan the whole book, it didn't find that word, but then I typed in "London News" and it popped up quick.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Op, I know what you mean! I haven't found a way either, but I was thinking on the computer software you can create your collection there and sync it to the device. Otherwise, creating collections on the device when you have a large library is a slow, chuggy process. Hopefully it gets patched quickly or someone finds a better way to do it.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
You can create collections using Sony's software. I've done it and it works fine.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply! The Sony Reader software will work but I tried to avoid it: I store the books on microSD card and regularly clean up books (both on the SD card and in the Library of the Sony Reader software) to keep things organized. But when I connect the device to the computer, the deleted books all come back again and totally mess up my device. There must be a hidden place that I don't know where the deleted books hide.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Thanks for the reply! The Sony Reader software will work but I tried to avoid it: I store the books on microSD card and regularly clean up books (both on the SD card and in the Library of the Sony Reader software) to keep things organized. But when I connect the device to the computer, the deleted books all come back again and totally mess up my device. There must be a hidden place that I don't know where the deleted books hide.
Are you using a Mac? Things go into a hidden "Trash" folder on the device itself when deleting, make sure you "empty trash" before disconnecting

Might be same on later versions of Windows, so make sure you empty the recycle bin there also.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
pj123
Zealot

log: Thanks! Yes, I do use a Mac, but how to "empty trash" on the device before disconnecting?

Last edited by pj123; 10-07-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You empty the trash on your Mac To remove your files your dragging them to trash can on the dock right?

It should appear "full". You can either right click or click press and hold the trash icon on your doc to get the "Empty Trash" option. After you do so it will appear empty.

There's some more details and pictures here -- http://guides.macrumors.com/Trash
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
If you're syncing your device to the software they'll keep putting them back on your reader. Forever and ever and ever! It's all because of that nifty little syncing thing. You cannot remove purchased content from your computer software and if you remove it from your device it'll just get put right back on it.

Sync means exactly that. Everything on your computer software will be put on your reader exactly as it is on your computer. It's ok if you have a small number of books but a right royal PITA if you have a lot of them! I don't sync mine and life seems to be better. I haven't chucked my unit into the wall. It's still in one piece. lol
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Op, I know what you mean! I haven't found a way either, but I was thinking on the computer software you can create your collection there and sync it to the device. Otherwise, creating collections on the device when you have a large library is a slow, chuggy process. Hopefully it gets patched quickly or someone finds a better way to do it.
Calibre will create collections when you use it to send books to the device. Collections are based on tags and series information. It should also remove books from your reader if you select the book and then click remove.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote