Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Billi Vote • December 2014, Multiple Choice
The Prose Writings of Heinrich Heine 1 9.09%
The Trial by Franz Kafka 4 36.36%
The Burning Secret by Stefan Zweig 4 36.36%
The Road to the Open by Arthur Schnitzler 4 36.36%
Under Fire: The Story of a Squad by Henri Barbusse 6 54.55%
Mother by Maxim Gorki 4 36.36%
Three Soldiers by Jon Dos Passos 4 36.36%
Island Tales by Jack London 3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Billi Vote • December 2014

Help choose the December 2014 selection to read for the MR Literary Club! The poll will be open for three days and a discussion thread will begin shortly after a winner is chosen.

The vote is multiple choice. You may vote for as many or as few as you like. If you vote for the winner it is hoped that you will read the selection with the club and/or join in the discussion.

The rotating nominator (this month - Billi) may not vote in the poll. In the event of a tie, there will be a one-day non-multiple-choice run-off poll where the rotating nominator again may not vote. If the run-off also ends in a tie then the tie will be resolved by the rotating nominator.

Select from the following works:

The Prose Writings of Heinrich Heine

The Trial by Franz Kafka

The Burning Secret by Stefan Zweig

The Road to the Open by Arthur Schnitzler

Under Fire: The Story of a Squad by Henri Barbusse

Mother by Maxim Gorki

Three Soldiers by Jon Dos Passos

Island Tales by Jack London
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'll wait until I get home to vote, so I can think about the list.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not going to think too hard about this one and just vote for the two that really stood out for me on reading the snippets. The Trial would have been an easy vote, but I've already read it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Much as I love both Kafka and Gorki, and despite how interesting I think a discussion of The Trial might be, I decided to cast votes only for authors that I have never read. (Chess Story by Zweig was the April 2013 selection).

I enjoyed going through the list of authors on this web site that was provided by Billi and trying to guess just what about them made the Nazis want to ban them, to burn their books. Some seem obvious—Kafka was Jewish and if not a book like The Trial would probably have been enough—but others seem a little puzzling. One nice thing about the Internet, and ebooks I suppose, is that any government preventing access to books has likely become impossible.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thanks Hamlet. This was one of the points I wanted to make - to make aware of the book burning and what an incredible wide range of writers from all over the world have been forbidden. And what a sad remainder in the bookshops, besides the classics of Goethe and Schiller that they didn't dare to touch.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Under Fire: The Story of a Squad by Henri Barbusse Kindle edition at $0.00.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6YW3HWK55XCGG2