Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
dehein2
dehein2 began at the beginning.

Reader for Newspapers

Hi,
im searching for device to read newspapers and magazines, sometimes books.

As most Newspapers offer an epaper as PDF download, this will me the most needed feature. The german "FAZ" or "Sueddeutsche" for example offer downloading the complete Newspaper as PDF.. a Ppage is about 100-300kb..

Is it a good idea to use an ereader? I will have to scroll a lot as newspaper pages tend to be big Is an iliad e.g. fast enough?

Thanks alot
dehein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
whiskymac
Scottish Member
whiskymac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Dell Axim 51v
I recently bought a Sony PRS505 and have tried loading newspapers onto it, the Sony reader handles PDF files very well. My first problem is that there's not a great selection of British papers available, I live in Scotland. I used Calibre to load the Daily Telegraph only to find it was Australian. The Irish Times is also available, a little closer to home. When reading them I use the table of contents to navigate around but it can take a while to read it all as on average there are around 800 pages in a typical newspaper when loaded on the Sony reader.
whiskymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
dehein2
dehein2 began at the beginning.

im not sure if a 800x600 resolution is what im looking for. especially when viewing large newspaper pages, every pixel counts - or am i wrong?

I just saw that irex has a new 10" ereader - perhaps that one is a good choice for newspapers????

Has anyone tried reading a full issue pdf of the FAZ oder Sueddeutsche or Handelsblatt on an irex device?

Thanks
dehein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Banjoplucker
Banjoplucker began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
I have managed to work out a recipe for the UK Telegraph. I can send it if you want
Banjoplucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
dehein2
The irex DR1000s has now got the pressreader application available for it. You culd take a look in that forum as there are a number of comments on how well it works.

I am presently using it to read the Daily telegraph, one of the many UK newspapers & it works very well. The only issues I have are that the MAC downloader doesn't yet work & you cannot write on the Newspapers you download to the DR1000. The downloading process can take a long time but once in the device it is very quick to read & generally navigate.

regards
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
icecoolmike
icecoolmike began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon
The irex is good but very expensive. I'd go with the Kindle DX http://ebookportable.blogspot.com/20...kindle-dx.html

This is the best reader when it comes to newspapers
icecoolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoolmike View Post
The irex is good but very expensive. I'd go with the Kindle DX http://ebookportable.blogspot.com/20...kindle-dx.html

This is the best reader when it comes to newspapers
Would you really recommend that someone living in Germany buy a Kindle DX?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
icecoolmike
icecoolmike began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon
I don't see why not. Are they available in Germany?
icecoolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
no they are only sold in america
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote