Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #166
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
5 volt != 1.8 volt
Get the correct adapter!!
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #167
fexofenadine
Senior Turbonerd
fexofenadine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Touch
I just managed a serial JB on a Voyage on 5.7.4 using a TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE without any issues. Thanks so much guys and gals, as always a wealth of information.
fexofenadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #168
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fexofenadine View Post
I just managed a serial JB on a Voyage on 5.7.4 using a TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE without any issues. Thanks so much guys and gals, as always a wealth of information.
Your welcome.

That adapter cable is a bit more expensive than a lot of bargain basement adapters -
But, it is known to work, is well stocked, and has world-wide distribution.

Someone who followed ALL of the directions and had no problems.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #169
dalvick
dalvick began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
hello,

can you please tell me if is this, is the correct adapter?

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01...=ASUH2C685L5Z6

thank you
dalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #170
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalvick View Post
hello,

can you please tell me if is this, is the correct adapter?

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01...=ASUH2C685L5Z6

thank you
The chip used does support 1v8 operation when using the Vio reference, but I can't see any signs on that board that the feature is supported by the board (3v3 and 5v0 only supported - not an external reference input).
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #171
dalvick
dalvick began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The chip used does support 1v8 operation when using the Vio reference, but I can't see any signs on that board that the feature is supported by the board (3v3 and 5v0 only supported - not an external reference input).
Thank you knc1
dalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:02 AM   #172
fexofenadine
Senior Turbonerd

Is there any value in switching from the serial jailbreak to the new downgrade method you've published? I notice that you mention that the downgrade method's jailbreak will survive firmware updates, whereas the old way does not seem to.

Is there a quick way to patch to the new survival method without downgrading, etc? (assuming I haven't misunderstood things of course)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #173
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Is there any value in switching from the serial jailbreak to the new downgrade method you've published? I notice that you mention that the downgrade method's jailbreak will survive firmware updates, whereas the old way does not seem to.

Is there a quick way to patch to the new survival method without downgrading, etc? (assuming I haven't misunderstood things of course)
For people who do not wish to peel the front bezel off their kindle, remove a ton of tiny machine screws, and figure out how to connect tiny wires to those tiny TTL serial pads, and for people who have an Oasis (KOA) model with no known serial port, the non-serial jailbreak is the ONLY option.

The pent-up demand (literally THOUSANDS of kindles) show just how many folks have been waiting for a software-only (no serial port needed) jailbreak.

So your "is there any value" question may be answered "yes, indeed, most definitely, and by thousands of people who have been waiting for the new method".

But if you really wish to practice your soldering skills on your kindle, the serial port method in this thread (often the only option for a seriously bricked kindle), the jailbreak only fails to survive if you failed to follow the procedure completely. The hotfix/bridge is installed SPECIFICALLY to help the jailbreak survive firmware updates (but requires carefully following instructions to avoid deleting it just before the firmware update procedure).

And yes, you can install the latest hotfix without jailbreaking again (provided you do not factory reset and then update to newer firmware).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-12-2016 at 08:35 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #174
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@fexofenadine: You have to install the hotfix no matter your original point of entry, so, don't worry, you're update-proof, too (unless you got creative and skipped a step).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:34 AM   #175
fexofenadine
Senior Turbonerd

Brilliant, thanks Geekmaster and NiLuJe.

I had performed the serial jailbreak and was unclear as to which part was the update-proofing. Obviously the new software-only method is huge news!

Thanks again for your support
Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #176
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Brilliant, thanks Geekmaster and NiLuJe.

I had performed the serial jailbreak and was unclear as to which part was the update-proofing. Obviously the new software-only method is huge news!

Thanks again for your support
...and knc1 and branch delay and everyone else who helped with the software-only method. You are ALL amazing!!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #177
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
It is useful for us who need to debrick the Kindle Paperwhite.
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 AM   #178
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Thanks for your tutorial! I have successfully debricked my Kindle!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #179
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post
Thanks for your tutorial! I have successfully debricked my Kindle!
Which means you are now ready to break it again.

Isn't working with undocmented devices fun?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #180
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which means you are now ready to break it again.

Isn't working with undocmented devices fun?
Make useful modications are fun, but I will be careful not to brick it, because it is hard to debrick.

I do not know why Amazon set obstacles for end-users to debrick a KPW.

Last edited by Mr.Samuel; 02-09-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Tags
serial jailbreak