Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
taphil
taphil began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Defective LED on Paperwhite 2

Looks like I got a dud. I didn't notice it in the daytime when I got it, but went to read at night and it was obvious.

The left LED on the bottom doesn't turn on evenly with the other 3 LEDs. When the brightness setting is below 11, the left LED stays off. Above 11, it does turn on but it's not as bright as the other 3 LEDs. This causes a huge dark spot over the bottom left quarter of the screen with any brightness setting. It's even more obvious that in the pictures show.

This is ad-free PW2. I'll probably return it to Amazon and pick up the ad version at Best Buy and pay the $20. Question though: does the $20 fee to make the Kindle ad-free apply to the lifetime of that particular device, or does it carry over to Kindles I get in the future?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2963.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	112566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2965.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	112567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2966.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	112568  
taphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Wow, send it back for sure. That is obviously a bad unit. The SO, or lack thereof, applies only to one specific Kindle. SO, or lack thereof, are not transferable to another Kindle.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
taphil
taphil began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
So if I pay to remove SO, will it permanently be disabled if I were to sell it in the future and someone else registered it with their account?
taphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taphil View Post
So if I pay to remove SO, will it permanently be disabled if I were to sell it in the future and someone else registered it with their account?
Exactly.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Definite defect

Quote:
Originally Posted by taphil View Post
Looks like I got a dud. I didn't notice it in the daytime when I got it, but went to read at night and it was obvious.

The left LED on the bottom doesn't turn on evenly with the other 3 LEDs. When the brightness setting is below 11, the left LED stays off. Above 11, it does turn on but it's not as bright as the other 3 LEDs. This causes a huge dark spot over the bottom left quarter of the screen with any brightness setting. It's even more obvious that in the pictures show.

This is ad-free PW2. I'll probably return it to Amazon and pick up the ad version at Best Buy and pay the $20. Question though: does the $20 fee to make the Kindle ad-free apply to the lifetime of that particular device, or does it carry over to Kindles I get in the future?
Call Amazon CS and they will send you a new unit as a replacement with no cost to you. Yours is the first real defect I've seen posted here for the PW 2013. They may even give you a small credit for your inconvenience.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote