Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
noideaatall
noideaatall began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
converting from standard mobi to compressed mobi

I've got a directory of .mobi files and a device with not that much memory but which can read compressed mobi files. Is there some tool that can go through my directory and convert the mobi files to a mobi file with different specs?

I've googled this for ages - any2mobi has been mentioned for making copressed files but it looks like I would have to convert away from mobi so it could open the files which seems dumb and I cannot even find any2mobi - I think it used to come with calibre but doesn't anymore?
noideaatall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre (via the GUI, or using ebook-convert), converting from mobi to mobi will compress the result. This does involve more than compression though, since Calibre will run though its standard ebook processing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
noideaatall

oh thanks, I'll stop going crazy trying to find how to do it then.

In this case most of my files should already be compressed. Odd they still seem larger then I would have expected an uncompressed text file to be. Oh well I can live with it.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by noideaatall View Post
In this case most of my files should already be compressed.
If you created them using Calibre a long time ago (at least a year ago), they will probably be uncompressed. The original Calibre MOBI output was uncompressed by default, but that was changed at some point.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
noideaatall

some are old, some I got already as a mobi and may not be converted. So it seems like it might be a good idea to convert them all again.

I'm not finging it a little tricky to use the command line. I'd like to convert everything from one directory and put the new compressed files in another directory - to see how much smaller they are and avoid the file names clashing.

any idea how to do this?
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noideaatall View Post
some are old, some I got already as a mobi and may not be converted. So it seems like it might be a good idea to convert them all again.

I'm not finging it a little tricky to use the command line. I'd like to convert everything from one directory and put the new compressed files in another directory - to see how much smaller they are and avoid the file names clashing.

any idea how to do this?
I don't know how to do it with Calibre, but you could unpack the files with mobiunpack.py, and then re-compile with KindleGen. This should get you the highest compression with fewest changes to the files.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
TWiTCommander
TWiTCommander began at the beginning.

you can use kindlegen to achieve different levels of compression. i don't know if it will accept a mobi file as the source file though.
TWiTCommander is offline   Reply With Quote