Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your views on illegal copying?
All illegal copying of books is wrong 43 13.78%
It's OK to copy a book that is Public Domain in a different country 134 42.95%
It's OK to copy a book if I bought it new in print (I've paid the author) 172 55.13%
It's OK to copy a book if I own it in print (I own a paid-up copy) 181 58.01%
It's OK to copy a book that is not published electronically (I can't buy it) 126 40.38%
It's OK to copy a book that is not published in my country (I can't buy it here) 125 40.06%
It's OK to copy a book if the author is dead 79 25.32%
It's OK to copy a book if I think that the author is rich 19 6.09%
It's OK to copy a book from mainstream publishers 17 5.45%
It's always OK to copy (information wants to be free) 61 19.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
What are your views on illegal copying?

I'm interested to see what people's how people feel about different kinds of illegal copying of ebooks. Please check ALL the statements that you AGREE with. The question is how you feel, not what you think the social consensus is, or what the law means. By "copy a book" I mean obtain an electronic copy by any means - darknet, a friend, etc.

1. All illegal copying of books is wrong
2. It's OK to copy a book that is Public Domain in a different country
3. It's OK to copy a book if I bought it new in print (I've paid the author)
4. It's OK to copy a book if I own it in print (I own a paid-up copy)
5. It's OK to copy a book that is not published electronically (I can't buy it)
6. It's OK to copy a book that is not published in my country (I can't buy it here)
7. It's OK to copy a book if the author is dead
8. It's OK to copy a book if I think that the author is rich
9. It's OK to copy a book from mainstream publishers
10. It's always OK to copy (information wants to be free)
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't call it illegal copying, I call it theft because we have to look at things differently in the Digital age.

I don't like the choices very much either. I think the same concepts should apply to digital as to print. If you make a copy for your own uses without giving it away or sharing with others, then all it's fine. If you "distribute" it to someone else, then it's not. It's boils down to an author's (creator's) rights to me.

Last edited by kennyc; 02-19-2010 at 06:27 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
How about this option:
It's OK to copy a book if I borrowed from the public library (I've paid the author through my library subscription)

And by the way, copying a book for my own use is not illegal in my country (NL).
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Geo restrictions prevent readers from buying books they want to pay for. In the end they will consider getting a free copy.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Pirates make every story better.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't call it illegal copying, I call it theft because we have to look at things differently in the Digital age.
I know you do, Kenny, but I was trying to canvas opinion using neutral language.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I get a chuckle out of that last choice. "Information wants to be free" -- maybe we we should pass a lay making

information = corporation = person....

and then we can lobby for information rights and stopping China from Information Rights Abuses!

"Free Information" Now!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Pirates make every story better.
When is "Talk like a Pirate Day" anyway?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I know you do, Kenny, but I was trying to canvas opinion using neutral language.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I still have to say it though.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
When is "Talk like a Pirate Day" anyway?
September, so we've got a ways to go. However, every day is Act like a Pirate Day!
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
How about this option:
It's OK to copy a book if I borrowed from the public library (I've paid the author through my library subscription)
That's an interesting one. I don't think that I can edit a poll once it's started, but we could repeat in a few months perhaps. Personally, I wouldn't go for that option - authors only get a very small payment for a library loan.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Personally, I wouldn't go for that option - authors only get a very small payment for a library loan.
I don't quite see your point. Whether I borrow a book and read the paper copy, or borrow a book and read an electronic copy I downloaded from elsewhere, the author gets the same payment. Or do you mean to say that you're against library loans in general?

Anyway, interesting poll!
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
I don't quite see your point. Whether I borrow a book and read the paper copy, or borrow a book and read an electronic copy I downloaded from elsewhere, the author gets the same payment. Or do you mean to say that you're against library loans in general?
I think that libraries are great, and have written to mine to try to get them to stock ebooks.

There is a difference between owning a book and borrowing it, which I think it is reasonable to carry through to the digital world. If it's OK to copy a book when you borrow it, authors will lose more profitable sales to library loan + copy.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Well Libraries are free here unless you pre-order a book. Then you pay a nominal fee of AUS$0.55 so the last choice fell out for not applicable.

When is copying unlawful - if I finish a pBook I borrow it to a friend. That's ok, isn't it. When I finish an eBook and send it to friend it's not? Even though I paid the same amount for it? Hmm. Still confused.

I am against pirated books however, I am sure that one day I will give in to temptation just because geo restrictions prevent me from getting the book I want.

I voted for the first option because anything illegal is wrong. Doesn't mean I don't do it just trying not to get caught
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #15
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
It's always okay, and not only is it always okay on a philosophical and ideological level (pro human, anti-greed), it's also okay because of the practicalities of the digital medium. There is no way to stop sharing, no physical or digital process by which control of a digital object can be achieved. It will occur even if you lock off and put a wall around every part of the internet.

I support and encourage all forms of what you might call 'piracy' and what I would call 'sharing'. My hope is that all digital objects will be reduced to zero in worth and that only those with no idea of profit or gain will create our culture, or that we create our culture together with the culture itself being the reward. What is bad for the coffers of multi-nationals is always good for people.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote