Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Where are MR's eBooks coming from?

I see that Canada's copyright law calls for life plus 50 years.

It occurred to me that Raymond Chandler has been dead 50 years, and therefore all of his work should be public domain in Canada now.

I note that all of the eBooks in our download library refer to the fact that the book is public domain in Canada, but I don't see any reference to the site where they were initially obtained.

I also note that I don't see any Raymond Chandler!

Is there a source, Canadian or otherwise, where I could find Chandler's works?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Raymond Chandler isn't in the public domain until the first of the year following the 50th anniversary of his death

Last edited by BenG; 11-13-2009 at 01:32 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Books come from many sources, GA.
For older public domain books Project Gutenberg is good for text and html files. The Internet Archive has a lot of PDFs, which need a great deal of work sometimes. But these work under US copyright, so won't be hosting Chandler.
I occasionally work from scans that I've done myself but find that it's a lot of work.

Now, for works entering the Canadian public domain, such as Chandler's, on 1 January 2010, there won't be an online source until someone scans an early edition and posts it somewhere on a Canadian site.
You could ask the people at Project Gutenberg Cananda, or Wikilivres (the two largest Canadian PD book sites) if they have plans to do Chandler. You could even offer to do it yourself, or join the PG Canada team of distributed proofreaders.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Even if someone scanned a book at PG on 1 Jan 2010 - it'll still take a while to get through the system.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks guys!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I am thinking there might actually be these texts on the net already *wink, wink*; they just haven't been put into mobi format yet and -- I get it -- that isn't quite legal till Jan 1 ... a few days from now. But perhaps there are a few New Year's treats waiting for release on that day if one of our book creator's is so inclined?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote