Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
brilliant animated film

words fail me to describe the genius of this short film :

http://trucadire.com/videos-externes/blublu
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
words fail me to describe the genius of this short film :

http://trucadire.com/videos-externes/blublu
Amazing, somewhat disturbing, but absolutely amazing!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
What an amazing piece of art! I wonder what the citzens of that area think, what with all the left-over art on the walls!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
What an amazing piece of art! I wonder what the citzens of that area think, what with all the left-over art on the walls!
I rather think the movie was shot first, and then the animation done in layers over the digital film. I doubt that there was any large scale artwork done in order to create the animation.

It's still a brilliant film ....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I rather think the movie was shot first, and then the animation done in layers over the digital film. I doubt that there was any large scale artwork done in order to create the animation.

Oh... Don't mess with my naivete'!
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Sorry ....
Old 11-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post

Quote:
you never know... you'd be surprised what people will do sometimes (for art).
Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
you never know... you'd be surprised what people will do sometimes (for art).
Nah .... you can tell it's a digital overlay just by looking at it.

I was talking to someone just the other day about this sort of thing. How, if you are used to doing this sort of work, your mind gets used to telling the difference between actual film or photography and good ... but not perfect .... digital manipulation.

In this case, the film makers weren't even trying for seamless digital manipulation, but it's not really necessary for the artwork they produced. It's still positively brilliant.

Not that it isn't possible to do a manipulation so seamless as to be undetectable .... this just isn't that.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I reckon it was done for real .

http://www.designrelated.com/inspira...ren/entry/2241
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

thanks for the link sparrow ! very interesting. i thought it was done for real, based on the moving clouds in the shots and the remanent traces of outlines muddying the white overpainting in some sequences... it looked like a very rapid series was done, before each painting had time to dry.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
pshrynk

Prolly a melange of actual wall art and CGI. But still...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

well, the guy is a graffiti artist to start with, so it's actually more likely it's all really painted on walls. and it definitely looks that way to me... i don't know how common graffiti art is where you live, but here it's quite common to see really quite complex, monumental stuff, some of it is amazingly well done. so it seems completely plausible to me. but if you don't have that in your cities then you might find it a bit less likely.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
well, the guy is a graffiti artist to start with, so it's actually more likely it's all really painted on walls. and it definitely looks that way to me... i don't know how common graffiti art is where you live, but here it's quite common to see really quite complex, monumental stuff, some of it is amazingly well done. so it seems completely plausible to me. but if you don't have that in your cities then you might find it a bit less likely.
Graffiti is very common in San Diego (where I spent most of my life), not so much out here in the country.

However, the reason I think most or all of it is CGI is the scenes where there are people and or cars moving but the animation continues at a different pace. Either the artist was able to paint a large wall and get out of the way so that the frames could be shot .... in a few seconds, while a single car or person was going by .... or it was done in CGI .... and, as pshrynk mentioned, it could be a mixture of the two.

I still think it's a work of genius .... I just don't believe for one second that it was all done large scale.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

And .... judging by this piece of work of his from 2005, I'd say he was an animator to start with .... this one is also outstanding ...

Sorry, that I can't embed it .... but it's worth visiting the link to see it.

http://vimeo.com/426534
Old 11-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
It's too perfect to be done in post-production, I think this is the real deal.

One of the greatest animated films (aside from shreck, nemo, wall*e etc) is a french production called renaissance. AMAZING visuals and a good story.
I love 3D movies, and this is top notch!

EDIT: here's a nice review: http://dvisible.com/2007/10/01/anima...sance-revival/
mores is offline   Reply With Quote