Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Ndsvan
Ndsvan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (2012)
Bad Layout, bugs last versions for magazines downloaded by Calibre

Hello everyone,

I updated calibre from 84 to 89 and found several problems with common issues of magazines, e.g. the presentation in general is worst than calibre version 84, and I foun problems with several magazines: I can not read Mac Word, Science news has half paragrafs hidden in right side and so forth.

I thing It will be better do not touch at least this part, the old layout for magazines I found usefull and very good working.

Please, check this problem and try to put same presentation as vers. 84

Many thanks

Ndsvan - Madrid, Spain
Ndsvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndsvan View Post
Hello everyone,

I updated calibre from 84 to 89 and found several problems with common issues of magazines, e.g. the presentation in general is worst than calibre version 84, and I foun problems with several magazines: I can not read Mac Word, Science news has half paragrafs hidden in right side and so forth.

I thing It will be better do not touch at least this part, the old layout for magazines I found usefull and very good working.

Please, check this problem and try to put same presentation as vers. 84

Many thanks

Ndsvan - Madrid, Spain
The current version of Calibre is: 0.8.69
BTW that is a Text value 8.4 is not the same as 8.40 (36 releases later)

So did you go from release 4 to release 9 of the current major version (8)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
Ndsvan
Ndsvan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (2012)
Hello theducks,

I meant from 8.64 to 8.69, among this versions there is one from which the presentation of magazines is completely new and less useful than the previous layout (I am using Kindle Touch). I find the previous layout was perfect showing you the headlines and sections, and without problems in files (unreadeables some of them). Now is worse really.
Ndsvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndsvan View Post
I meant from 8.64 to 8.69, among this versions there is one from which the presentation of magazines is completely new and less useful than the previous layout (I am using Kindle Touch). I find the previous layout was perfect showing you the headlines and sections, and without problems in files (unreadeables some of them). Now is worse really.
The layout didn't change for mobi recipe creation.

I'm guessing if you upgrade to 0.8.70 you'll be fine. In 0.8.70 periodicals are no longer done in azw3, but in Mobi if you have azw3 or mobi as your preferred output format. Amazon has some issues handling anything other than Mobi as a periodical.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I'm reading the magazine output on a Sony T1 (as epub), and I LOVE the fact that the TOC links don't have the gray background anymore!
Several people had tried to get rid of the background, but gave up, since it seemed like that was controlled by the device itself. So I guess that towel was thrown in prematurely, as Calibre is able to suppress it after all.

BUT — And I don't know if this is on purpose, or (I hope) just a temporary glitch — the layout of the magazine pages is extremely wasteful. More than a quarter of the page is taken up by the headline and a huge Table of Contents bar at the bottom. That just doesn't make a lot of sense on a small eReader...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magazine.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	92792  
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert