Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-23-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Mobireader - experiences?

I recently downloaded Mobireader and its desktop tool Publisher and must say that I am impressed.

Does anyone have experience with Mobireader?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:37 AM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Mobipocket reader was the first "book reading" software I tried when I first got my clie (seeing it's the supported format on Baen's website).

I thought it was pretty good. Good font support for Clie's, and reasonably fast. Then I discovered iSilo, and never looked back. If a title I really want to read is only available in mobi format, well, that's why I still keep it on my memory stick. iSilo always lives is ram....

Regards,
Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with the enews portion of Mobipocket?

They have the Detroit News in their enews section and it is a local paper for me.
Just would like to know of anyones experiences.

David
Harpgliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried it out, and it's ok, but nothing iSilo can't do, and do better IMHO. It IS very easy to set up, though.

If you have both, you COULD use mobipocket to get the clipper details for the site(s) you want, then use that info in iSiloX to get it for iSilo (I ended up doing this).

I still like the Mobi reader, don't get me wrong. It's just that I like iSilo so much more...

Regards,
Craig.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:14 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Should we add a MobiReader section?

MobiReader has some nice features like scripting capabilities.
There is also a Yahoo group available here (I personally dislike Yahoo groups) - question is if people from there are willing to participate here.

Any opinions?
Advert
Old 08-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

I'm not opposed to it, if it will increase user activity on the forums (and allow us to convert them all to iSilo users :P )

Yahoo groups are ok. I have all the groups I'm in set up as mailing lists, so I never interact with the group at all unless I need to access a poll or download a file.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:54 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Not sure if anyone beside the two of us here uses MobiReader

BTW, MobiReader V4.7 Build 408 is out.

Whats new:
  • Enhanced Font capabilities: with the support of additional Palm fonts. ClearType sub-pixel rendering is now available on PocketPC.
  • Read in non Western-European languages (Chinese, Japanese, Russian, etc...) on your PocketPC/WindowsCE or SymbianOS device.
  • Send ebook directly from PC to a storage card makes it easier to install ebook files on a memory card extension. You can also send an ebook by Infra-red, Bluetooth or email from your PC to your PDA/smartphone.
  • 16-bit color support for high-end PalmOS color screens.
  • Web Companion enews channels : right-click on an enews channel in the Web Companion interface to read the enews directly in the Mobipocket Reader for PC. You can also secure an enews channel by setting a password on the enews .prc file that is created.
For developers (download PRCGEN SDK 4.6 documentation - 2.7MB):
  • Support of SQL SELECT queries in Mobipocket indexes. Learn more.
  • Enhancements to index alphabetical search box : tooltips allow to view the full text for long entries, there is no more top banner in the index box and it is now possible to customize the title and display of entries.
  • Automatic calculation of height of frames by the Reader
    - Web Companion channel updates : periodicity of refresh of .xsl and .enews can now be set different from the periodicity of channel update, which allows to improve the bandwidth and speed of enews synchronisation.
Bug fixes:
  • Crashes when installing or receiving ebook files on Symbian smartphones; synchronisation of enews to Nokia 3650.
  • Corrections to Web Companion synchronisation issues with ActiveSync.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:27 AM   #8
vitalyb
vitalyb began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro
I tried MobiReader and liked it a lot. However, its publisher seems to be one buggy tool. The only thing I was able to convert with it are text files (using its import). Upon trying adding plain html files, it added them as 0kb file without any content (in fact it actually DELETED their previous content!), same resulted with DOC/RTF, though at least it didn't delete the content of the doc/rtf itself.

Also, while in iSilo 3.35 I couldn't get good fonts, iSilo/x 4 (beta) fixed the situation and now I am wholly satisfied with iSilo and have hardly any reasons to go MobiPocket once more.
vitalyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 11:08 PM   #9
Den_Nis
Den_Nis began at the beginning.

Device: sony clie
I just try MobiPocket pro v4.7 today. First I like the interface look very nice and all tools it good in my ClieN760c.
So it will be nice if anyone can review MobiPocket with Isio and I gonna try it also and will post next time and Another thing it's posible that I make my own dictionary and use it with MobiPocket which it is the option when you hightlight the word and Definition it
Thanks
Den_Nis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #10
Mobipocket
Enthusiast
Mobipocket began at the beginning.

Device: al
The Mobipocket Publisher will be replaced by a new program called Creator.

The Publisher updates the imported file content (which may not be a good idea as you said), but it should not delete the file.

Quote:
Originally posted by vitalyb
I tried MobiReader and liked it a lot. However, its publisher seems to be one buggy tool. The only thing I was able to convert with it are text files (using its import). Upon trying adding plain html files, it added them as 0kb file without any content (in fact it actually DELETED their previous content!), same resulted with DOC/RTF, though at least it didn't delete the content of the doc/rtf itself.

Also, while in iSilo 3.35 I couldn't get good fonts, iSilo/x 4 (beta) fixed the situation and now I am wholly satisfied with iSilo and have hardly any reasons to go MobiPocket once more.
Mobipocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:38 PM   #11
woxof
woxof began at the beginning.

Device: Dell
Angry Bad Mobi

I HAve used Mobi on My Old Jornada and on my Dell. I liked the E Conversion that changed text files to mobie reader (I guess its called publisher) and the news downloads work great (I never get them read).

But don't buy their books! I bought Oxford dictionary and the security to keep from having pirated has prevented me from figuring out how to get it onto my Dell. Also a hard reset of the Jornada required a reinstall that had to be coordinated through their site rather than just reloading from Active Sync. This was much more complicated than needed and didn't seem to be of much concern to MobiReader people.The instructions are terrible and require multiple passwords, etc. Even an answer to my email didn't explain how to reinstall the program (Oxford English Dictionary) on to my new Dell. Don't waste your money buying anything from them.
Sean
woxof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:55 PM   #12
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Blech.

I've only purchased one mobi pocket format book, and that was from Baen, so it wasn't cripplied in any way. These days, I wouldn't touch Mobipocket with a barge pole either; iSilo first, then doc, then palm reader (if I must). Microsoft .lit files convert nicely to iSilo with the help of clit, so I don't bother with it either.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:04 AM   #13
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Reflecting on my last post, I think I may have been a bit harsh with my words. I still have Mobipocket reader installed on my palm and pocketpc, and really like the reader itself. What I don't like is the metrhod of activating secure books. As I have two separate devices I still use (and potentially the windows based reader as well making three), I want to be able to read a book a buy and download on all three (or at least the two mobile devices). That's not an easy option with mobi, to say the least...

Regards,
Craig.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #14
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
I use Mobireader for ebooks
iSilo for webpages and fast conversion

Mobireader's reading experience is best for me so far...text is full justified.. Mobitype font at size 3 is easy on the eyes, dictionary integration, tap a word and u can look it up easily, also u can highlight it, copy it, modify it even. you can add drawings on the page as well

If the enews creator comes out and is as good as iSiloX, I might fully convert

Last edited by Saud; 12-12-2003 at 03:59 PM.
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Saud have you had experiences with the beta of the enews creator? I wanted to write a review; unfortunately, other things crossed my plans and I haven't been able to do so yet.