Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
reeled
Member Retired
reeled began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Cool What fonts are you using for Kindle?

I've been updating my fonts using the great hack from NiLuJe, but so far I haven't found another serif typeface that is as legible and readable at a small size on the Kindle as its original font (PMC Caecilia).

At first I tried Adobe Caslon and Garamond (classic print typefaces) but I find e-ink is definitely too low-resolution to make either of those seem crisp.

Currently I've switched back to Caecilia, with Myriad as the sans-serif font. What are you using?
reeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I used to use Souvenir medium. Now I'm using a modified version of this

http://www.dafont.com/centabel.font

Out of the box it is too light for me, so I used a font editor to put a bit more weight on it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Kindle's default font is the best for me, it looks great. But, that's the matter of taste. I simply have no reason to search for another font.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
ppk812
ppk812 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I recommend these typefaces, as they were designed for low resolution outputs (such as webfonts or laserjet),

These are free:
http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Merriweather
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=CharisSILfont
http://typophile.com/node/18207
...also good ol' Georgia does a surprisingly good job!

These are not:
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/oranda/
ppk812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I seriously dislike Charis SIL, and wish fervently that publishers would stop embedding it in their epubs (and even more so if they continue to do so when we get KF8 files. But that's probably because I just hate embedded fonts in general, espcially when you're just embedding a font for the sake of it. (I have nothing against embedding fonts for pretty dropcaps, or custom scripts, or artwork, but don't mess with my reading font, damn it!)).

Aaannd I'm done ranting, and to get back on topic, I'm using Museo Slab. It's a slab serif like Caecilia, but a bit sharper/blockier. Last I checked, the regular version was free (I'm still using Caecilia for the italics anyway).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Aaannd I'm done ranting, and to get back on topic, I'm using Museo Slab. It's a slab serif like Caecilia, but a bit sharper/blockier. Last I checked, the regular version was free (I'm still using Caecilia for the italics anyway).
Ooh, I like that one! Museo Slab 500 (the mid-weight) is still free, so I'm going to stick it on my K3 and try it out when I get done with Christmas stuff. A new year of reading, why not a new font too?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
thayerwilliams
thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Georgia, modified with a heavier weight. Added a quick screenshot below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-9580.gif
Views:	1313
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	80249  

Last edited by thayerwilliams; 12-22-2011 at 12:40 AM.
thayerwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
chad2010
chad2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
glypha

Glypha is my favorite. It is a slightly modified slab serif font, similar to the standard Caecilia but definitely more condensed. A little monotonous like Helvetica, but works perfect for me. I am new here so can you see the screenshots?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	glypha_bold.gif
Views:	1411
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	80238   Click image for larger version

Name:	glypha_bold_01.gif
Views:	938
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	80239   Click image for larger version

Name:	glypha-regular01.gif
Views:	892
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	80240   Click image for larger version

Name:	glypha-regular.gif
Views:	919
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	80241  
chad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
I preffered Mercurius CT and Montara Gothic.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I use the default settings. Works for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thayerwilliams View Post
Georgia, modified with a heavier weight. Added a quick screenshot below:
Is that modified Georgia available for free download?
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad2010 View Post
Glypha is my favorite. It is a slightly modified slab serif font, similar to the standard Caecilia but definitely more condensed. A little monotonous like Helvetica, but works perfect for me. I am new here so can you see the screenshots?
Looks good!

I use Amasis modified by Barty. It´s great!
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
I use Droid Sans I find it light and clean:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_Droid_Sans.gif
Views:	1233
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	80270  
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad2010 View Post
Hello.

Where I can find your fonts?, I try to send an mp message, but you have disabled it...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
LeftHanded Matt
LeftHanded Matt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Palatino Linotype is the one I'm happiest with after exploring a few. The biggest problems I had with several others was that italic text appeared very whispy, or the size was just a little bit too large/too small. This has none of those issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-356.gif
Views:	1235
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	80562  
LeftHanded Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font, fonts, hacks, kindle, typeface