Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
Eastlondonboy
Banned
Eastlondonboy doesn't litterEastlondonboy doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Zola's Germinal

Stumbled across this book recently and was stunned by its descriptions of the poor mining classes in France. A gritty novel - I imagine, Zola, was one of the pioneeers of this kind of 'realism' in novels. Currently reading it and thoroughly recommend it.
Eastlondonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I hate realism

You will probably like Middlemarch too. Only realist novel I really like.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Kiya
Addict
Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360
Oh my God! Germinal!

I remember that one from the high school. It is really gritty novel.

If you like that one you should try some of his other novels: Nana and Thérèse Raquin.

Both are very good.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I hate realism

You will probably like Middlemarch too. Only realist novel I really like.
Not sure, Middlemarch appeals. I'm not a particular fan of realism, but Zola's descriptions are really outstanding - how he makes beauty out of such a miserable situation.

In my own writing, I guess I stray from realism with fantastical elements - I like to try to fuse both. It's difficult though.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiya View Post
Oh my God! Germinal!

I remember that one from the high school. It is really gritty novel.

If you like that one you should try some of his other novels: Nana and Thérèse Raquin.

Both are very good.
I went to see Therese Raquin at the National Theatre in London. Very good adaptation.
Advert