Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
The iLiad 2nd Edition currently sells for $699, I really doubt that this new device will cost $400 only. (BTW, the iLiad 2nd Edition is out of stock on the official Irex shop website).

Last edited by olis; 08-06-2009 at 04:30 PM.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
The iLiad 2nd Edition currently sells for $699, I really doubt that this new device will cost $400 only.
The Kindle DX ($489) has set the bar for what large screen "consumer" ebook readers can cost. In the past iRex has been able to charge a premium because they were after a slightly different market, and they were not producing in the volumes required to get good prices for components. I don't see how they could introduce a new 8.1" device that was more expensive than the 9.7" Kindle DX. However, a $400 8.1" from iRex would seem to require a price cut on the DR1000S as well.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I thought the reason the Irex devices were so expensive was because of the WACOM technology in it. There may be a chance that they are finally swapping WACOM for something else, either some new stylus tech or going with a finger touch screen which would allow them to drop the price.

One issue is that Plastic Logic is slated for Q1'2010 if I'm not mistaken. They should hold off until then and see what Plastic Logic's pricing is like as even $400 for a 8.1 inch device may be too much if Plastic Logic is priced in the same area. I'd personally like a Plastic Logic finger friendly device over the stylus. Sure you can write more clearly with a stylus but I think being able to just touch the screen has more appeal to me since I don't do much extended note taking on electronic devices
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Kindle DX ($489) has set the bar for what large screen "consumer" ebook readers can cost. In the past iRex has been able to charge a premium because they were after a slightly different market, and they were not producing in the volumes required to get good prices for components. I don't see how they could introduce a new 8.1" device that was more expensive than the 9.7" Kindle DX. However, a $400 8.1" from iRex would seem to require a price cut on the DR1000S as well.
I think that iRex will have to re-position its products on the market if it wants to survive, nonetheless it seems to me non realistic to expect a $300 price cut (about 43%) on the iLiad.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
DG25
Enthusiast
DG25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do other irex devices have dictionary lookup support?
DG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #21
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Content Partner

I like the IREX products but they are priced to make a profit on the hardware alone and I believe without a strong content partner to subsidize the hardware price they are doomed. There are too many other choices, with better content options price significantly lower. I keep wishing them the best but take the DR1000 for example ($859) - I can buy a Kindle DX for large content and a Kindle 2 for casual reading combined for $788!

I have said it before, so I apologize for repeating but I believe that IREX has priced themselves out of the mainstream market. I have doubts if they can survive on specialty revenue alone.

If the new reader is real though I Wish them luck with it.
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
What will the resolution be?

Because with an 8" screen and 800x600 resolution, you're still no step ahead!

If there's an increase in resolution it might be a very interesting reader!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #23
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
on a positive note, that design does appear to be hand agnostic. Something Amazon fails to provide, in three tries no less. People reading for longer periods need and want to change hands and many like myself cannot hold devices in one hand for extended periods.

It will be interesting, and I have little doubt iRex could deliver a working model in very short order. I suspect the case is the only complicated issue, then refining the internal components to fit the final form factor while avoiding overheating and working as intended.

Given the mock-up, this would have to have an accelerometer to allow auto rotation. Auto-rotation is going to have to become pretty much ubiquitous for successful devices, especially large format. A button rotation would also be fine with me...but eventually auto-sensing orientation needs to be part of the deal. Then again a button reduced the power needs to constantly monitor a sensor for changes. As someone mentioned this is starting to get interesting, just as many of us here have been saying would come in this fall and winter...or Q3 & Q4 for our buds south of the equator.

I hope iRex makes it...they have been there from early one trying to make a good device. While it was always too expensive for my tastes, the Wacom was pure genius and the right decision but perhaps at the wrong time. Market a Wacom device at mass produced prices to big companies and I think this is a seriously solid device.

I see another potential competitor to all the large format builders and promoters in TabletKiosk but that is another thread yet they are a company who could catch the industry with their collective pants down if they could get smart...

I know I would be interested in an iRex reading only device. Isn't 8.1" sort of the TPB size pages? Or is 9.7" closer? I do not have a TPB handy to measure. I really enjoy a TPB book and honestly only discovered them a few years ago as I always just bought MMPB's for recreational reading.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Plastic Logic - Something PixelQi - iRex. Choices, choices, choices. It's all good!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #25
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Plastic Logic - Something PixelQi - iRex. Choices, choices, choices. It's all good!
ya sure youbettcha!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this rumored iRex going to support ePub (I hope so) or will it support Mobipocket (I hope not).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #27
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this rumored iRex going to support ePub (I hope so) or will it support Mobipocket (I hope not).
Is there a way to turn off the auto-rewind?
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG25 View Post
Do other irex devices have dictionary lookup support?
Yes, but this is because they have the Java MobiPocket Reader. If iRex switches to mobile ADE then they loose the dictionary support along with the MOBI support.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #29
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
What will the resolution be?
It will presumably be 768x1024, like the iLiad. This is the also resolution that EInk quotes for its 8.1" screens.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #30
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
It's reasonable to be priced at 400 USD or lower if tied with certain book seller. If being sold alone, the price will not be so low. I am most curious about its OS kernel: whether compatible (or same) with iLiad or DR1000S, or another kernel build.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote