Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
add books in 2 formats options

I have a series of books in both mobi & epub that I wish to add to calibre library.
The default "add books" option will create separate entries for each format of each book, it does not recognise that they should be paired.

I can't see an option that will handle this ?

NB the series folder contains 2 subfolders - one for all the epub versions & one for all the mobi versions.

the only method I can come up with is to manually reorganise the books into pairs then use the add one book per directory option - but for a long series that would take a long time.

I suppose the other way is to add one format only to library than have calibre generate the other format - but that does not feel right.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Add the book using the first format e.g. PDF.
Edit metadata for the book and add the other format (see right of the metadata edit window for the add book symbol). Now both books are stored in the same directory using only one cover.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If books that are being added have the same metadata for author/title then they should be automatically recognised as duplicates and put into the same book entry. If they are different then they will end up in different entries that later need merging.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Add the book using the first format e.g. PDF.
Edit metadata for the book and add the other format (see right of the metadata edit window for the add book symbol). Now both books are stored in the same directory using only one cover.
I am aware of that option but I wish to add an entire series & not have to do it book by book, individually!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If books that are being added have the same metadata for author/title then they should be automatically recognised as duplicates and put into the same book entry. If they are different then they will end up in different entries that later need merging.
the problem is subfolders. the default add books option will not accept the parent folder & wants me to drill down. the other 2 options are wrong for me they are 1. treat everyting as being the same book,2 treat efverying as beign different books. I want them recognised as pairs.

lets see what happens if I add the subfolders one at a time... it partially worked but there were some metadata mismatches. you reckon that If I manually patch up the wrong metatdata then calibre will merge things ?

seemingly not - I have 1 book in 2 formats which stubbornly refuse to merge even after downloading matching ISBN & metadata. any way to force the merge so that I see 1 calibre entry, not 2? UPDATE - OK I searched some more & found the merge function, so I've fixed this instance.

BUT I fail to understand why calibre did not auto merge two books once they were given identical metadata - downloaded form same source, same IBSN , same cover...

Last edited by cybmole; 09-21-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole;
seemingly not - I have 1 book in 2 formats which stubbornly refuse to merge even after downloading matching ISBN & metadata. any way to force the merge so that I see 1 calibre entry, not 2?
Highlight one (or more) entries and press 'm' to invoke the merge facility (or access it via right-click->Edit Metadata->Merge). Note that the first entry selected is the master if there are metadata clashes. This often means you only need to fix the metadata in the one entry and then simply merge in the bad one to get the format merged in but keep the good metadata.

When using merge you have the option of keeping just the one entry or all of them. I prefer to have all but the master automatically removed, but that is a personal preference.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
1. treat everyting as being the same book
If the pair are secluded in their own individual sub-directory then this is the option you want. It will create one book with both formats included under that one book entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
BUT I fail to understand why calibre did not auto merge two books once they were given identical metadata - downloaded form same source, same IBSN , same cover...
Calibre only automatically merges books on import (if the option to do so is checked under import/export - Adding books). After they're in the library you have to do it manually.

When merging two books manually, select the book with the best metadata / cover first because the one selected first is the entry that survives and the other entry is deleted as the formats are moved together under one book entry.

Once you have your two (or more) books selected to merge them into one right click on the book list and drill down according to the image attached.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merge_books.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	58552  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote