Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Issue Entering Dates (Added or Published)

I normally don't bother with the dates, but recently DL'd a number of old books from Project Gutenburg. When getting metadata, a number of sources had metadata for a recently published version of the book. I would prefer to have the original publication date. But when I try to change that, it only allows one to use the calendar to pick the date.

A couple of problems, I don't know an exact date, just a Year. I see that some downloaded metadata only has a year or a month and year. But I cannot seem to do that in Calibre.

The BIG problem is, the currently set date is say 2010. The actual publication year is 1911. So a LOT of scrolling through the calendar to get to the proper year. I did find that you can click on the year and enter a different year and that helps.

And I found, that if you delete the date, the calendar decides to start from year 101.

Why can you not just type a date into the field? And why not allow just a Month and Year or even just a Year?
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I normally don't bother with the dates, but recently DL'd a number of old books from Project Gutenburg. When getting metadata, a number of sources had metadata for a recently published version of the book. I would prefer to have the original publication date. But when I try to change that, it only allows one to use the calendar to pick the date.

A couple of problems, I don't know an exact date, just a Year. I see that some downloaded metadata only has a year or a month and year. But I cannot seem to do that in Calibre.

The BIG problem is, the currently set date is say 2010. The actual publication year is 1911. So a LOT of scrolling through the calendar to get to the proper year. I did find that you can click on the year and enter a different year and that helps.

And I found, that if you delete the date, the calendar decides to start from year 101.

Why can you not just type a date into the field? And why not allow just a Month and Year or even just a Year?
You can. I must be in the locale format for your system. It must contain Month, day_number and 4 digit year
I use 1/1/1913 for when only the year (1913) is known.
Press F2, it will show the date in the expected EDIT format. Do not use the (down arrow) Calender.
Note that you can Click the Year (4 digits) at the top of the Calender and type a year
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
It does not allow me to type ANYTHING in the two date boxes.

OK, I found the trick.

I have the date in Day Month Year format. If I highlight the entire date, I cannot type. If I highlight just the Day or just the Month or just the Year I can change it.

VERY strange way to do it.

But if I delete the date, and the box now shows Undefined, I cannot enter the date directly.

I did mention in my OP that I had found that in the calendar you can highlight the year and jump to any year. But thanks for making sure I had seen that.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote