Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #61
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
There are too many good players in the fray now: Google Nexus, Acer, Galaxy, 2 ipad versions, kobo, Sony and not to mention Amazons dominance. This is too big of a hurdle for a book seller. I sold my nook ereaders and bought the Kindle PW
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #62
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The fact is, we really don't know what is going to happen. Speculation can be insightful and informative but, in the end, is only speculation.
Don
The article, as it is now entitled, suggests it is speculation. I believe it was not entitled like this originally, if I recall correctly, the original article stated that BN was getting out of the hardware business. That's very different from the current article, and hence the comments on this thread.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #63
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I think it's fair to speculate on something like this, especially since there has been a lot of negative news about B&N and the Nook over the last year or so. The problem is presenting speculation as facts or certainties. I think the problem with this perception arose out of the title the OP chose -- "Nook clearly headed for the dumpster" when it's uncertain what will happen to the Nook brand and B&N's e-book business.

Using a word like "clearly" when the fate of B&N is actually pretty "cloudy" is going overboard. But then I notice the OP likes to speak in absolutes -- ie, saying that "Caecilia is the best font for eInk. No question."

Personallly, I would never use Caecilia as my everyday font for reading ebooks. The ascenders are too short relative to the font's mean line, resulting in a sort of short, squat appearance. It is also widely known that a large differentiation between the ascender and mean line makes reading easier for most people. My own favorites are Adobe Garamond and Georgia. At any rate, fonts are a very personal choice -- the same way colors are -- so to say one font is the "best" for eInk is going quite overboard.

Getting back to B&N, here is what TechCrunch said on May 8th:

Quote:
"The documents also reveal that Nook Media plans to discontinue its Android-based tablet business by the end of its 2014 fiscal year as it transitions to a model where Nook content is distributed through apps on “third-party partner” devices."

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/08/mic...for-1-billion/
Just one month later, on June 11th, they say something different (same website; different reporter) ... saying B&N will get out of the ebook business and concentrate on low-cost tablets/e-readers:
Quote:
"Nook tanking these apps means that Barnes & Noble’s efforts around e-books officially now trail Amazon’s in terms of cross-platform access, but it’s likely B&N is setting its sights on a broader goal of becoming a player in the low-cost tablet space with Nook hardware, as it has recently introduced features that both add Play store functionality to the Nook HD line, and unlock key missing features like a browser for the Simple Touch, making them more than just e-readers."

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/11/bar...trategy-shift/
So, even the same source -- TechCrunch -- is saying different things! If I had to guess, I would say that B&N remains a content provider long after they stop making tablets and/or e-readers. But if and when that happens is anyone's guess. Could be 2014 or maybe not for a few years. While I wouldn't count on it, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more generation of the Nook android-based tablet.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #64
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
What is it with the witch-hunt against Nate the Great? His blog is fun and speculative. You guys seriously need to loosen up. Nate, keep it up. These guys' views are dull as ditch-water. There is nothing offensive about what you post.

Oh yeah, btw, B&N hardware is dead. Put money on it. I don't like it. None of us do. I've got a Nook STR and it's great. I'm circling the Nook tablet clearance sales like a vulture.
Things are not looking good for B&N but the hardware is still good. I don't see anything wrong in taking advantage of the sales. My main reader is my kindle paperwhite, but I still picked up a nook simple touch in the sales. I have no intention of buying any content from B&N but still think its worth picking up the hardware at these ridiculous prices.

I have 2 tablets already (google and apple) so I'm not interested in the Nook HD\+ but now that they have opened it up to the google play store it becomes more future proof.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #65
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I think it's fair to speculate on something like this, especially since there has been a lot of negative news about B&N and the Nook over the last year or so. The problem is presenting speculation as facts or certainties. I think the problem with this perception arose out of the title the OP chose -- "Nook clearly headed for the dumpster" when it's uncertain what will happen to the Nook brand and B&N's e-book business.
I think the title of the thread is okay. It's an opinion and, though provocative, is not meant as a troll. The OP is entitled to hi opinion, and to present it as a fact in his opinion. He doesn't need to prefix it with IMO as that is a given in 90% of cases.

In addition, I think it is as accurate. There is a lot of evidence to suggest the title's veracity, but that is by the by.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #66
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
I think the title of the thread is okay. It's an opinion and, though provocative, is not meant as a troll. The OP is entitled to hi opinion, and to present it as a fact in his opinion. He doesn't need to prefix it with IMO as that is a given in 90% of cases.
I agree with that part of your post. This is a forum of ideas, and I believe that anything within the posting guidelines of the site should be allowed. However, I was just explaining, from my viewpoint, where I think a lot of the resentment arose from. More from the choice of words -- semantics -- as from the actual substance of any information or article linked to.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #67
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Wink The thread is meant to warn off the innocent...

Quote:

In addition, I think it is as accurate. There is a lot of evidence to suggest the title's veracity, but that is by the by.
I agree. As the OP, I can only see downside for the Nook hardware.

People often confuse hardware and software. The Nook hardware, with an early exception, has always been good to great. On the other hand the various User Interface designs that have been perpetrated on the poor Nook hardware buyers have been quite literally atrocious.

The Simple touch is well done from a UI perspective but the color devices are all suffering from severe schizophrenia. Why did they not settle on one interface? If I had to speculate I would guess multiple software teams and a not-invented-here syndrome. They were also told to emphasize the "not just an eReader" features, which was wrong. People buying a Nook were attracted by the eBooks, sucked in by the tablet features and then thoroughly baffled.

The other terrifying thing is that Microsoft is lurking in the wings with a User Interface design department that inflicted the Windows 8, forget the Start button, approach.

All we can say for sure is that the tablet eReader industry is in flux and that a good design, the current Kindle Paperwhite is totally kicking butt. Sorry to be partisan here. I have or have had them all and I only use one unit for reading books.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #68
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
All we can say for sure is that the tablet eReader industry is in flux and that a good design, the current Kindle Paperwhite is totally kicking butt. Sorry to be partisan here. I have or have had them all and I only use one unit for reading books.
I agree, I read on my Nook in the Kindle app, and my main ereader is a Kindle Paperwhite.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #69
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I had gotten the Nook HD mainly for its tablet-like qualities because I didn't think that I'd like reading on the LED screen for extended periods of time since my eyes get tired when I do so on my laptop, but to my surprise, I'm not really having any problems with that.

I think it's because I am using the Cool Reader app as my preferred reading app and I've got the background color set to a very pale green-gray color that is more soothing to my eyesight than stark white. I also adjust the brightness intensity depending on the ambient light and I've found that I can read for hours on it. The stock Nook, Google and Kindle readers have way fewer adjustment options to them than the Cool Reader does; I'd have thought that they would have offered more personalization than they do.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #70
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wink Ways to Protect Your eBook Library If NOOK Readers Are Canned

http://dealnews.com/features/Ways-to...d-/747147.html

Apprentice Alf is your friend.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The article, as it is now entitled, suggests it is speculation. I believe it was not entitled like this originally, if I recall correctly, the original article stated that BN was getting out of the hardware business. That's very different from the current article, and hence the comments on this thread.
The original title was Barnes & Noble Is Getting out of the Hardware Business – Puts the Nook HD, Nook HD+ On Clearance. That did suggest that B&N was definable getting out of the hardware business and the reasoning for B&N getting out of the hardware business was because B&N extended their sale on the nook HD and nook HD+. There were no possible facts backing up the title of the article. That's why I mentioned it because it was sounding like a fact with a guess to back it up.

Now nobody has posted anything conclusive or even speculative enough to suggest that B&N is doing away with the hardware side of business. SO everything suggesting they are doing so is just speculation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Things are not looking good for B&N but the hardware is still good. I don't see anything wrong in taking advantage of the sales. My main reader is my kindle paperwhite, but I still picked up a nook simple touch in the sales. I have no intention of buying any content from B&N but still think its worth picking up the hardware at these ridiculous prices.

I have 2 tablets already (google and apple) so I'm not interested in the Nook HD\+ but now that they have opened it up to the google play store it becomes more future proof.
I am not a fan of the nook STR, but I picked one up at the Radio Shack sale for about $20 (US). I'm keeping it as a backup in case anything was to happen to my 650. Yes I could replace it if something happened to it and I would. But I may not be able to right then and there as I might not hae the money to do so. So having a backup is better then not having a backup.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
I'm not speaking about the software, just the hardware. Going only on hardware, the Kobo Aura HD is better then the Kindle PW. Kobo's downfall is the software. To be honest, that's the Kindle's downfall too. Amazon has built in some defaults that cannot (other then jailbreaking and then patching) that (IMHO) I find not a good way to do things.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #74
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The original title was Barnes & Noble Is Getting out of the Hardware Business – Puts the Nook HD, Nook HD+ On Clearance. That did suggest that B&N was definable getting out of the hardware business and the reasoning for B&N getting out of the hardware business was because B&N extended their sale on the nook HD and nook HD+. There were no possible facts backing up the title of the article. That's why I mentioned it because it was sounding like a fact with a guess to back it up.

Now nobody has posted anything conclusive or even speculative enough to suggest that B&N is doing away with the hardware side of business. SO everything suggesting they are doing so is just speculation.
Exactly my point, and the fact that the article has been amended reinforces our view that it was claiming as a fact something that was pure speculation.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #75
detayls
Addict

Cool Speculate with this...

Barnes and Noble to exit the hardware business...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...rs-build-nooks