Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
PRS-T1 is 600x800. I believe the only 6" e-ink reader available with higher resolution is the iRiver Story HD (appears to be on clearance sale at Target for $50). As for removable memory, the PRS-T1 supports regular microSD (those really tiny ones, not the postage stamp sized SD cards).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
bmbriefs
bmbriefs began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm weighing these options too. In terms of device design, user interface, and read (i.e font styles) I like Kobo touch the most and Kindle Touch the least. However, I am a prime user so it's really hard to turn down the opportunity from the Kindle lending library. I'm torn whether it is worth picking my less preferred reader for the 4-5 books I'm interested in reading in the Kindle lending library. Kindle has been expanding their lending library, and I wonder if it will include many more books I'll be interested in the future.
bmbriefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbriefs View Post
I'm weighing these options too. In terms of device design, user interface, and read (i.e font styles) I like Kobo touch the most and Kindle Touch the least. However, I am a prime user so it's really hard to turn down the opportunity from the Kindle lending library. I'm torn whether it is worth picking my less preferred reader for the 4-5 books I'm interested in reading in the Kindle lending library. Kindle has been expanding their lending library, and I wonder if it will include many more books I'll be interested in the future.
Don't forget the issue of customer service - when you need it, it's important. Amazon have superb customer service. From what I've read, Kobo's is not so wonderful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Tron,

If you just want to read books and reading at bedtime is not important, you should skip Kindle Fire or any other tablet.

Now, which one you should buy will depend of several factors. But all major brands, like Nook or Kindle Touch, support DRM free books. You just need to download the proper format: MOBI for Kindle and ePub for Nook. Even if the book you want is only on one of them, you can easily convert via Calibre in less than 60 seconds. The key is buying a free DRM book.

Major stores or brands, like B&N and Amazon, sell protected ebooks, so buying from B&N only won't avoid the issue that you can't export or read those outside B&N ecosystem. However, I believe you can read Sony's ebooks on Nook devices, without any hack I think.

I personally like Amazon's selection and during these 10+ years with them, customer service has been fantastic. Can't say the same from B&N, at least the few stores close to home.

However, Kindle Touch and Nook are very close in terms of features. I would move the balance on Kindle's favor but it will depend of what type of books you buy; B&N does not have same selection of IT books, so that can be a problem for certain people like me.

Sony readers are really nice, but their online store and experience is not as good as B&N or Amazon, at least in my opinion.

My advice would be, on that order

-Kindle Touch
-Nook Touch
-Sony

The new Kindle Touch feels sturdy and solid. But does not have buttons :-( ... bummer. That can be good or bad for you.

The Sony supports landscape. That can help when reading poetry or computer books. Not so sure if Nook supports landscape mode. I'm very disappointed that the Kindle Touch 3G does not support landscape.

A nice bonus if you get a Nook, is that you can read books for free if you're in a B&N store. Can't remember if there is a time limit. And if you have no B&N store close to home, that may not be a good thing anyway.

Also, take a look on previous Kindle Keyboard. It is a good reader and you may find a better deal. It does not have a touch screen, but it is a fantastic device.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-06-2012 at 11:17 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

I would say go for Kobo Touch after reading reviews, even though I have a KIndle Touch, I feel that this one is better.

MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodRing View Post
I would say go for Kobo Touch after reading reviews, even though I have a KIndle Touch, I feel that this one is better.

Even with all the bugs of the Kobo? Have you not personally found them to be a problem?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

I'm the owner of a new Kobo Touch and I'm quite pleased with it. Haven't been affected by any of the bugs apart from the bottom bar reverting to the display of recommended books after a sync. As purely a reading device, I think it is great, I have no complaints in that area and I really like the formatting options where I believe it is one of the most flexible if not the most. Seems like the Kindle has some nifty features like the ability to share notes, I don't use them but so far any social features built into the Kobo have been quite useless for me and they seem quite gimmicky on the Kobo.

Also, the form factor of the Kobo is great, very comfortable to hold. My case arrives soon but the rubberised coating is quite nice although I don't expect it to last if you chuck your ereader in the bag like I do.

I have no experience with the any readers other than the Story HD, the PRS T-1 and the Kobo but I think that the Kobo UI is the best by far. Clean and simple.
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
nook simple touch is the one I like most currently. I started with the original and loved it. I switched to the ST and was very much pleased; so pleased I bought another just in case B&N went under and mine broke. I don't buy books from B&N so I can do without their 'suggestions'. I really only read public domain now.

Not a big fan of the kindle original, I 're-gifted' the one I got as a gift, albeit a bit used. While I've played with the other brands in stores, I've never read with them.

I would like to root one of my nooks. I just can't get motivated enough.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The T1 has the ability to go back. So if you jump to an endnote and then find no way back, Sony has a way back. You just go back in the history until you are back where you started. Very nice, very easy, and very useful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The T1 has the ability to go back. So if you jump to an endnote and then find no way back, Sony has a way back. You just go back in the history until you are back where you started. Very nice, very easy, and very useful.
... as does the Kindle. But I don't believe the OP is considering the Sony, Jon.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo Touch has this too, you just Touch the centre of the screen to bring the menu up, then press "Back". The only real bug the Kobo has is reverting back to Recommendations, but once the new update goes live it will be fixed.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
Dinghy
Monkfish
Dinghy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch or Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Either the Kindle Touch or the Nook Touch are decent purchases. It used to be that I would recommend the Nook over the Kindle, since the Nook could check out library books, but now the Kindle can too. Either one can side-load books, and it's trivial to convert epub to mobi or vice-versa, so that's not an issue. I'd say whichever one is cheaper or more aesthetically pleasing to you is the one you should get.

Take my advice and stay away from the Kobo Touch though. I had one and eventually got so fed up I sold it and bought a Nook Touch. It's so glitchy, and the text formatting (while better than its predecessor the Kobo Wifi) is still nowhere near as good as the Kindle or Nook.
Depends where you live and what you want it for eg Kindle does not let you borrow from UK libraries where Kobo does.

Im trying to figure out what to buy now my K3 died - I want a touch UI but Kindle no longer lets you use 3G I had on my keyboard for browsing and email so I'm struggling to understand the need or large price differential in the KT 3G versus standard KT. I find this limitation annoying as a traveller, but understand it may be too expensive for Amazon to support going forward. - this is pushing me towards Kobo as I'm sure it will many old K3 3G users who are used to a gold 3G service and wont accept a downgrade.

Kobo seem more in tune with UK customers, have hooked up with a UK retail book store, can cope with more formats without the hassle of conversion - Calibre might work for some but I just can't be bothered - I want to just buy and read and on the go.

All the touch devices appear to have glitches of some sort so I'm still at a cross roads - anyone got both? having been an Amazon client I wonder if it's time for a change even though I will need to convert existing books I want to re read.

I also wonder if Kobo will eventually become the undisputed market leader - they only do, care and focus on one thing and that's the ebook market and now have significant Japanese clout, funding and tech know how behind them whereas Amazon on the other hand is the worlds largest online retail store focusing on a myriad of business opportunities.

The flip side is that currently Amazon and Kindle is still the go to ecosystem and possibly devices, although I don't like their proprietary approach as much as the open approach to other companies, then again the Kobo Touch £20 cheaper and Amazons price differential between US and UK is nothing short of a disgrace - fortunately I'm frequently in NY.

Any advice on which device is better much appreciated, unfortunately - or maybe fortunately as I'd only be more confused we do t have Nook in the Uk. I think you can probably tell but I'm trending towards Kobo but it's largely about the device for me and that's where I'm stuck.

Last edited by Dinghy; 04-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Probably worth your while going into a WH Smith and a Tesco to have a play about with the display models of the Kobo and the Kindle. There doesn't appear to be a lot of difference between them, except the Kindle's trump card, Amazon's customer support.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
Dinghy
Monkfish
Dinghy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch or Kindle touch
I'll do that cheers - didn't know Tesco had display kindles - the both have their own trump cards, eg UK libraries on Kobo v Amazon customer service and service in general - hence its about the device for me
Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
As I understand it, some hackers figured out how to turn the Kindles with 3G into a wifi hot spot and where using the Kindle for just that purpose. They probably cost Amazon a ton cash and Amazon decided to restrict the access to the 3G. It sucks for people who used the 3G honestly but it is not too surprising.

I would be surprised if Kobo became the market leader for e-readers. They will pick up speed and could become the EPub leader, that depends on what BN does about going international. Amazon has a nice market built and has developed a strong reputation. I can see the playing field leveling between Kobo and Kindle, more at the expense of Sony internationally and possibly Nook in the US.

Right now, Kobo has a nice device that still seems to be less reliable then the Kindle, Sony, and Nook. It has fewer features then then other three. Yet it is priced the same. There are plenty of folks in the US who will turn to the Nook before the Kobo for that reason.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote