Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
ZBlobXxX
ZBlobXxX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350-900
B&N... needing help!

Short version of the story:
Wanted to buy a ebook sold only at B&N, epub, sounds fine.
But I'm an alien, not US can't buy. Bought a gift card.
Don't know how it still recognize me as an alien, but it does, even after a new account.
Anyway put a B&N in a Sony is not difficult, I already reached in theory.
Anyone can do it for me?

Thanks
ZBlobXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ZBlobXxX
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
ZBlobXxX

Thanks, I remember to have a much older account.... but looks I was just reading in last months here
Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
maxlawman
maxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony
A solution

From experience, B&N will only let you buy ebooks from them (using a gift card or foreign credit card) if:

(a) you have a (bogus) US mailing address attached to your account; and

(b) you have an IP which B&N recognises as being based in the US.

(a) is easy to do, but (b) is a bit harder. I live in Australia, and use a VPN (I use StrongVPN (www.strongvpn.com), which for US$55/yr gives me a US IP) when purchasing.

There may be free VPN solutions around, but I've never had a problem with StrongVPN. Also, call me crazy, but I like to think that the fact that I am paying for the VPN service means that crediit card details etc. are less likely to be hacked than if I'm using a free service.

Best of luck!
maxlawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
ZBlobXxX

This is a great news, I can give my account detail to any friend in USA and ask him just to download b&n software and then the file
Old 11-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Your friend doesn't even need to download the software. Just log into your account on the B&N site, make the purchase, and download from the My NOOK Library section of the website.

Or you could just do it yourself after changing the shipping/billing address and using the VPN IP-proxy (Hotspot Shield is a free ad-supported one which works on Windows and Mac; the ads are a bit annoying, but you don't need to have it turned on for very long and it's worth sitting through a few flash pop-ups for what you get from their service).

If you are worried about your CC/login details being compromised, you can login to B&N's site and change your address/etc. first, then turn on the VPN session and 1-click/download the book you want and turn it back off right away, and it will work perfectly well without your ever having to enter any username/password info while the proxy is running as long as you don't close your browser window after logging in.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
If your purchase an ebook from B&N, you will need to strip the DRM before putting it on your Sony.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
ZBlobXxX

Great, everything worked!
1st times I got a UK ip address trhough anchor, or at least looked so.
Than I tried again and... file is already ready for my PRS-900.
Now I can start to plan an happy buy of PRS-350.

Last question... all the same with the Sony store?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yup. The same IP-hiding/address tricks work with the Sony store, at least for the promotional free books. Don't know what would happen if you actually entered a CC # into the system and whether it would check against the actual billing address, but it couldn't hurt to register and try getting one of the freebies first before investing in a gift card.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
ZBlobXxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Yup. The same IP-hiding/address tricks work with the Sony store, at least for the promotional free books. Don't know what would happen if you actually entered a CC # into the system and whether it would check against the actual billing address, but it couldn't hurt to register and try getting one of the freebies first before investing in a gift card.
For a freebie has been enough lie on the address. no ip-hiding.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlobXxX View Post
Last question... all the same with the Sony store?
I'm in India. While registering for the Sony store they asked me for an address, at which point I gave a dummy address, (some garage or car park I think) with a valid US ZIP code. That was it. No issues with downloading free ebooks. Haven't actually used a credit card there yet so can't comment upon that.

Edit:
should have read the complete thread first! oops :P
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote