Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #196
mochishiro
mochishiro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
just tried jailbreak for DXG with update_jailbrereak_dxg_install.bin and it does not work. "update firmware" is grayed out. as mentioned previously we are looking at serial B009..... with firmware 2.5.5 (495460008)
mochishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #197
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Argh. Okay, I had a wrong info on the serial num, which *may* explain why my previous attempts didn't work...

EDIT: There. Packages in the first post updated. Let me know how these go!

@acarr: Yes, there was. Unfortunately the only way to do this (AFAICT) was through a binary patch of a java .jar (part of the Kindle framework), and that's waaaay out of my league ^^. Appart from this ss hack, the only other possible thing (AFAIK), is tweaking the timeouts before the Kindle goes to ss/sleep. It may not be particularly friendly on the batterly life/lifespan though.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2010 at 12:57 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #198
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Can't manage to get this working Firstly when I install the jailbreak it doesn't fail it says Update Successful, so does the screensaver hack and at the end of it it doesn't work anyway

What could be the reason? I've got a Kindle 2 International with firmware 3.5.3
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #199
outismetis
outismetis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Let me know how these go!
The DXg hacks for 3.5.5 work for me, now I can have a real serif--Dante. The screensaver hack is also working.

Thank you.
outismetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #200
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I found applying clarknova's jailbreak hack worked on my K2 with 2.5.3 (which I assume you meant). I have successfully installed the font hack and the screensaver hack since then.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #201
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
I found applying clarknova's jailbreak hack worked on my K2 with 2.5.3 (which I assume you meant). I have successfully installed the font hack and the screensaver hack since then.
I'll try that thanks. I did mean 2.5.3
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #202
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@outismetis: W00t! Thanks for the feedback! Since you've installed the fonts hack, could you zip up and post the content of the linkfonts/backups folder? I'd like to see if the fonts have been updated... Thanks!

@seagull: Er, if the jailbreak update didn't fail, I'm assuming it means that your Kindle already was jailbroken? (never really tried, but that's a bit weird...).

And what do you mean exactly by 'doesn't work'? Did you put the full linkss/ folder in the root of your Kindle?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #203
seagull
Addict

Quote:
@seagull: Er, if the jailbreak update didn't fail, I'm assuming it means that your Kindle already was jailbroken? (never really tried, but that's a bit weird...).

And what do you mean exactly by 'doesn't work'? Did you put the full linkss/ folder in the root of your Kindle?

Nope, it wasn't already jailbroken. By 'doesn't work' I meant that instead of displaying the files I had in the linkss folder it just displayed the default kindle screensavers.
Clarknova's jailbreak + screensaver hack worked perfectly though.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #204
NiLuJe
BLAM!

They're supposed to be in the linkss/screensavers directory, not linkss/.

Anyway, that's weird, the jailbreak install is identical to clarknova's... Unless I broke something with the DXg updates, but that would be surprising...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #205
outismetis
outismetis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
@outismetis: W00t! Thanks for the feedback! Since you've installed the fonts hack, could you zip up and post the content of the linkfonts/backups folder? I'd like to see if the fonts have been updated... Thanks!?
A zip of files found in the backup folder is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip font-backups.zip (488.5 KB, 400 views)
outismetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #206
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@outismetis: Thanks! And nope, they weren't updated, same fonts as the 2.5.2 update .
Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #207
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, just tried a cycle of Jailbreak uninstall/install on my K2i 2.5.3, and it's working as expected in both cases, so, really dunno what happend to @seagull...
Old 07-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #208
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And I just tweaked the default screensaver in the ss hack to make it more obvious that the install was successful.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #209
shimz
shimz began at the beginning.

Device: DXg
I got the new DXg and wanted my own screensavers.
I added the linkss directory to the root folder, then added the DXg bin to the root folder as well. Hit "update" and it said "unsuccessful" or something, and I still only see the old kindle screensavers. Not sure what I did wrong. I looked in the screensaver folder and saw the "you can delete this now" png so I figured I did it right. I added several 824x1200 png's to the screensaver folder but none are showing up.
probably a stupid user error on my part, im new to this..
shimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #210
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Did you install the jailbreak first?

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet