Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Free content for your Kindle via Whispernet

[I thought this worth repeating in its own thread]

Don't forget with the browser you can download books from mobileread.com and feedbooks.com. Just put the download guides on them. Type these URLs in your Kindles browser to get them:

https://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide

http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

Once those "books" are on your Kindle you can browse/search through them and d/l books directly to your Kindle... free of charge.

These are public domain and creative commons books that are perfectly legal and legit and can be shared with all your friends too.

BOb

Last edited by Bob Russell; 02-27-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Bookjunkie
Crackhouse=Bookstore
Bookjunkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you pilotbob! I had found the feedbooks thread and downloaded the guide. As I type, I am downloading the mobileread guide. oops. The mobileread says it's downloaded, but I am unable to find it. Hmm... will try again in a bit. Ah well, it'll give me time to play some. heehee

Thanks again!
Bookjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookjunkie View Post
Thank you pilotbob! I had found the feedbooks thread and downloaded the guide. As I type, I am downloading the mobileread guide. oops. The mobileread says it's downloaded, but I am unable to find it. Hmm... will try again in a bit. Ah well, it'll give me time to play some. heehee

Thanks again!
After downloading it should show up on your home page. Give it a few minutes.. after you d/l these big files the Kindle starts indexing them so things might slow down a bit for an hour or two.

BOb
Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Bookjunkie
Crackhouse=Bookstore
Bookjunkie began at the beginning.

Oh, there it is! It's just popped up. This is a whole new world for me to learn. Patience is not my virtue. Will have to work on that one )
Bookjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'd also encourage people to look at the MobileRead and Feedbooks guides before purchasing a "classic" at Amazon. My sister bought two of her favorites from Amazon for $.75 apiece, but the formatting was horrible. The same books were available here and at Feedbooks and once I pointed it out to her, she got new copies which were formatted much better. She was lucky that she hadn't spent much money for the ones from Amazon. I encouraged her to return them for a refund but she decided the aggravation wasn't worth it. I think she's learned to look before she buys.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the tip BOb - I didn't understand how do to it via whispernet before. In retrospect, I should have thought about going to the sites from the Kindle - D'oh!
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
hey...ummmm...just tried a couple of times to do the www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide both by entering it into my Kindle 2's browser a few times and by clicking on the link above...both come back with "The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later."

Could there be a typo in there?
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
hmmm just tried it, same thing
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 AM   #9
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

It looks like the whole feedbooks site is down at the moment. I'm getting the same message when I try the main feedbooks page in Firefox.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Works fine for me. I just tried it on my PC and got the download dialog.

BOb
Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Interesting ...

I downloaded it on my PC, but my Kindle can not get it. Other web pages are working on my K2. For example, I just tried cnn.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Interesting ...

I downloaded it on my PC, but my Kindle can not get it. Other web pages are working on my K2. For example, I just tried cnn.
Weird. You can just move it from your PC to your Kindle. Then see if you can use the guide from your Kindle.

BOb
Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Weird. You can just move it from your PC to your Kindle. Then see if you can use the guide from your Kindle. BOb
I'm at work and don't have my Kindle cable handy. However, I emailed it to my Kindle and it showed up just fine. Then to test it, I downloaded one of Cory Doctorow's books, and the book came in just fine.

So everything works, except getting the initial book/guide.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Good reminder - just adding that you can update both guides & see what the newest additions are. I try to update every couple of weeks. You have to delete the older version when you get the update. (Nice that it's easier on the K1 with the new ability to delete directly from the home screen.)
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
You have to delete the older version when you get the update.
Well, you don't "have" to.

BOb