Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 01-09-2015, 04:31 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Yet another copyright question: Aylmer Maude (translator of Tolstoy's books)

I've stumbled upon a Wikisource version of Tolstoy's "A confession," but I haven't been able to find a pdf that matches the etext, which has some formatting issues.

Apparently the translation is by Aylmer Maude (1858–1938), but for some odd reason, Google Books doesn't offer the book for download, presumably because the US copyright of the translation has been renewed.

I've got two questions:

1. Does anybody know where I could find a Public Domain pdf of the Aylmer Maude translation of Tolstoy's "A confession?"

2. Would I be able to upload Aylmer Maude translations to MR or would they be automatically moved to the Offline forum?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I've stumbled upon a Wikisource version of Tolstoy's "A confession," but I haven't been able to find a pdf that matches the etext, which has some formatting issues.

Apparently the translation is by Aylmer Maude (1858–1938), but for some odd reason, Google Books doesn't offer the book for download, presumably because the US copyright of the translation has been renewed.

I've got two questions:

1. Does anybody know where I could find a Public Domain pdf of the Aylmer Maude translation of Tolstoy's "A confession?"
Can't help you with that one, I'm afraid.

Quote:
2. Would I be able to upload Aylmer Maude translations to MR or would they be automatically moved to the Offline forum?
Sure. Her translations are in the life+70 public domain. No problem at all to upload them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Doitsu --
Hathi-trust has a pdf :
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...view=1up;seq=7

Unfortunately, they have a silly policy that you must have a "partner logon" (with a participating university or other institution) to download the entire book. Otherwise, it is one page at a time, I'm afraid (and they put on a temporary 5-minute block on your IP when you exceed "resources").

But it is digitized by Google, so there MUST be other copies available SOMEWHERE.

Or, of course, you could just stay logged in to Hathi while you work on your text.......

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 01-12-2015 at 11:03 PM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Thanks for your search. Unfortunately, that copy seems to be geo-restricted and/or miscategorized, because no matter what proxy I use, I keep getting the infamous "This item is not available online (Limited - search only) due to copyright restrictions." message, which is rather annoying, because the translation should be in the Public Domain in life+70 countries without copyright renewal laws.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:49 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Sending you a pm.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert