Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Flash is Gone; Where's HTML5?

Adobe Flash Player exits Android Google Play store

Quote:
Adobe is pulling its Flash Player plug-in from Android's Google Play store.

It follows a decision to halt development of the software for mobile devices.

The plug-in allows multimedia content created using the Flash format to be viewed via a web browser.

Adobe will continue to develop the player for PCs. It will also support Air - a tool which lets developers turn web-based applications using Flash into standalone mobile apps.

The Flash Player had been popular on Google Play - with two-thirds of users giving it a top score.

But Adobe said it was removing the option to install the plug-in because it was likely to exhibit "unpredictable behaviour" when used with the latest version of Android, known as Jelly Bean.
And what of its replacement, HTML5? Oh yeah, it's still under development. Nothing like pulling the plug too early. Kinda like removing expandable storage from mobile devices because they can use the cloud. The problem is, the cloud requires a net connection and wifi isn't universally available.

Happily, my Galaxy Player has both Flash and a card slot.

ps: it's still available for officially supported devices
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
This confirms the trend towards HTML5 becoming the standard, despite the fact that it's not perfect.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
And for the moment, Flash is working just fine on Android, all versions from 2.2 to 4.1 (though it is sad that you need workarounds on JB). I, personally, would not want to use a device that does not support Flash at this point in time. Too much content goes missing, or you have to pay for it instead of getting it for free (like Hulu vs Hulu Plus).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
FYI, Adobe also killed the player for Linux (unless you install Chrome, which few Linux users will do) with a particularly buggy version- either you have blue casts to everything in youtube videos, or you get incessant crashes. The general response to people filing bug reports was something like, "We no longer support Linux, now go away and stop bugging us about fixing it."
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
FYI, Adobe also killed the player for Linux (unless you install Chrome, which few Linux users will do) with a particularly buggy version- either you have blue casts to everything in youtube videos, or you get incessant crashes. The general response to people filing bug reports was something like, "We no longer support Linux, now go away and stop bugging us about fixing it."
In the end, don't blame it on Adobe blame it on Steve's personal vendetta. Once Flash wasn't economically viable anymore Adobe had little incentive to fix it. At least that is what happened to mobile Flash. They dumped Linux earlier, if I remember correctly.
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And for the moment, Flash is working just fine on Android, all versions from 2.2 to 4.1 (though it is sad that you need workarounds on JB). I, personally, would not want to use a device that does not support Flash at this point in time. Too much content goes missing, or you have to pay for it instead of getting it for free (like Hulu vs Hulu Plus).
The workarounds aren't exactly onerous. All you need to do is get the Flash app from somewhere *other* than Google Play, and use it in a browser *other* than Chrome. For those here who have expressed negative thought toward rooting your devices, no fear--you don't even need that.

Full directions here.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
For the time being, Flash is working fine without Chrome's Pepper. The plugin I have is dated June 8th of this year and another one may not come down the pike, but for now all is well.

This super-buggy thing you're talking about...are you referring to Gnash?
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
The workarounds aren't exactly onerous. All you need to do is get the Flash app from somewhere *other* than Google Play, and use it in a browser *other* than Chrome. For those here who have expressed negative thought toward rooting your devices, no fear--you don't even need that.

Full directions here.
No problem for me (though I don't have any device running on JB yet), but the problem is that most users won't know how or won't bother. So this move is the final blow for Flash.

And apparently you need older version of Flash for JB, which means a lot of users are seeing the error message "you need to update your flash player".
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i guess for now, my incentive on buying newer mobile devices is gone
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
In the end, don't blame it on Adobe blame it on Steve's personal vendetta. Once Flash wasn't economically viable anymore Adobe had little incentive to fix it. At least that is what happened to mobile Flash. They dumped Linux earlier, if I remember correctly.
I have no problem blaming Jobs as long as I know he's actually responsible. I'm with you on the chronology, just not on the assumption that Android and Adobe are copying Apple due to financial isolationism. It's also possible they reached the same conclusion as Apple for other (possibly technical) reasons.

That said, I have friends whose long-term jobs have involved writing flash games and apps. They're not happy with HTML5 so far and they really don't like that giant foot from Monty Python coming down on flash prematurely.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-16-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Well, that's one point where Steve and I agreed. I'm glad to see flash gone.
The crappy linux support mainly.

And I hate website flashing around everywhere. I hope devs won't abuse HTML5 the same way.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

And I hate website flashing around everywhere. I hope devs won't abuse HTML5 the same way.
The problem is that it is not really gone yet. We are still in limbo, I need Flash for many websites. They let flash die on devices while we still need it to display content. I am glad I have my workarounds, but for a lot of users this is a major pain. If there had been a seamless switch from Flash to HTML5 I couldn't care less what the underlying technology is. But this is pretty stupid.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

Hah! The Glen Barrington addendum to Newton's laws of physics. "If a technology CAN be abused for short term financial gain, it WILL be abused for short term financial gain."

Your best bet in that regard is to start pinning your hopes on HTML7 or 8. Those technologies are at least far enough out in time that you might be dead before you see how THOSE technologies are abused!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Flash 10.3 works quite well for me on Linux. I use it to run the Hulu Desktop software and watch TV with it. Any version beyond that gets sketchy, I'll admit. I'm not sure why anyone would think installing Chrome is the only way to get Flash working in Linux, though.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Flash 10.3 works quite well for me on Linux. I use it to run the Hulu Desktop software and watch TV with it. Any version beyond that gets sketchy, I'll admit. I'm not sure why anyone would think installing Chrome is the only way to get Flash working in Linux, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
For the time being, Flash is working fine without Chrome's Pepper. The plugin I have is dated June 8th of this year and another one may not come down the pike, but for now all is well.

This super-buggy thing you're talking about...are you referring to Gnash?
Ok, from doing a little remembering, the issue only appears on nVidia GPUs. I saw something technical on it; aparrently the issue is with Flash improperly handling the GPU or something like that. I'm not a programmer so it was all in Geek to me. The gist of the matter was that nVidia had said it was Adobe's problem, and Adobe said there was no problem.

Gnash doesn't seem to have that issue, but it does have other problems like not supporting a lot of features of advanced Flash videos.

As for the thing about Flash and Chrome, Adobe announced that the only way to get an updated Flash player on Linux was to use the version bundled with Chrome.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote