Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
sinusLog
sinusLog began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Empty lines in epub without apparent reason

Hi,

I am converting a txt file to epub and I often get empty lines (maybe half of the time) with no apparent reason. The text file is in utf-8 and I checked that the lines terminate with 0D 0A hex.

This phenomenon occurs even when there are no punctuation marks at the end of the line, and also when there are no special characters.

Working with 0.8.20 under Windows xp.

How can I control that ?
sinusLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The specifying the paragraph type manually in the conversion settings. It defaults to auto detect.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
sinusLog

You are referring to the heuristic processing, I suppose. I hesitate to embark in that, but I'll keep it in mind. I can wait: the last 2 books I converted are ok.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinusLog View Post
You are referring to the heuristic processing
No, he is not referring to heuristic processing. He is talking about the text input options during conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinusLog View Post
I'll keep it in mind. I can wait
Wait for what? The tools to handle this situation already exist.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
sinusLog

I tested several options following your clarification, and I finally chose auto. I also checked Remove spacing between paragraphs in Prefs. That's how it is in real books. I'll see if I am comfortable with that.

One thing puzzles me though. When I convert 2 or more txt files, the text input section is absent. Is there a way to choose the paragraph style in that case ?
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
When you choose multiple text files for a bulk conversion Calibre uses the default settings configured under preferences first - and if an individual file has custom settings those will override the global preference.

Just go into preferences and tweak the defaults until you're happy. That will then be applied to any books which you haven't yet converted.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
sinusLog

Thanks, I found it.