Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
nennig
nennig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Installation Issues on Windows 7 x64

Running Windows 7 x64. The following error/issue occurres on both installation of 0.8.16 and 0.8.17. Download of source file completes ok/no errors. When I attempt to install and after I accept the license info I get an popup about insufficient privileges - need to run as administrator. Only have one user id and it is set to the system admoinistrator level. When I select the properties on both installation msi the 'run as administartor' option is grayed out - can not select it. Thoughts on how correct this so I can install Calibre??

Thanks
nennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nennig View Post
Running Windows 7 x64. The following error/issue occurres on both installation of 0.8.16 and 0.8.17. Download of source file completes ok/no errors. When I attempt to install and after I accept the license info I get an popup about insufficient privileges - need to run as administrator. Only have one user id and it is set to the system admoinistrator level. When I select the properties on both installation msi the 'run as administartor' option is grayed out - can not select it. Thoughts on how correct this so I can install Calibre??

Thanks
There should be a UAC popup asking for permission (only administrators can say Yes )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
nennig

I get a open file - security warning and select RUN. No other popup's until the license agreement and then the insufficient priviledges and etc... I just check under user accounts and I am listed as an administrator.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I get a open file - security warning and select RUN. No other popup's until the license agreement and then the insufficient priviledges and etc... I just check under user accounts and I am listed as an administrator.
Did the screen Din and a Yellow UAC box appear? I believe the Run is the download Manager asking (IMHO save to file, then execute the file later)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
nennig

No to the dim screen and UAC popup.
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
No to the dim screen and UAC popup.
That is your problem. UAC did not (get triggered to) allow.

Use the save to file on the download. Then double click the MSI file. UAC should happen (say Yes )
Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
nennig

Did that - saved the file to a folder and then double-clicked on the saved file.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Did that - saved the file to a folder and then double-clicked on the saved file.
No clue then. do you have UAC disabled or some A/V intervention?
It installed fine on W7 Home premimum (after I surfaced the UAC that was under something else I was working on at the time)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This is a configuration or other issue with your PC, not with Calibre. 8.16 and 8.17 both install just fine on Windows 7 x64 here.

You might try right-clicking the file, select Properties, and mark it as safe. Sometimes Windows marks files downloaded from the Internet to not allow them to run.

Finally, if all else fails, open a CMD window AS Administrator. Change directory to where the .msi file for calibre is located and run it from the command line. (so, for 8.17, the command line would be:

.\calibre-0.8.17.msi
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
This is a configuration or other issue with your PC, not with Calibre. 8.16 and 8.17 both install just fine on Windows 7 x64 here.

You might try right-clicking the file, select Properties, and mark it as safe. Sometimes Windows marks files downloaded from the Internet to not allow them to run.

Finally, if all else fails, open a CMD window AS Administrator. Change directory to where the .msi file for calibre is located and run it from the command line. (so, for 8.17, the command line would be:

.\calibre-0.8.17.msi
Yes this. I'm having no issue on multiple win7-64 machines
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
eezergoode
eezergoode began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
If your account is the admin account, and nothing else works, you can just turn off UAC for the duration of the install, then turn it back on.
eezergoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezergoode View Post
If your account is the admin account, and nothing else works, you can just turn off UAC for the duration of the install, then turn it back on.
not a great idea - that will wipe all of your IE internet cookie s& saved passwords & maybe some other programs registration data, as turning off UAC deletes the virtual registry.

either turn it off for good ( what I did) & fix up the one-time damage, or learn to live with/work around it's frustrations

PS with UAC off you can run the excellent freeware ERUNT automatically at every start up to back up registry, giving you a simple recovery solution should anything corrupt your PC.
enables recovery even when you can't load windows or when system restore lets you down!
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-on.../erunt/faq.htm

Last edited by cybmole; 09-07-2011 at 02:13 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Turning off UAC is like running everything as root on a UNIX/Linux system. A really bad idea. And with the amount of evil stuff out there, you're setting yourself up for having a PC that is owned. It can still happen with UAC enabled, but at least you have some defense.

I actually suspect something is preventing the UAC prompt, which leads me to wonder if his PC is already infected.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Turning off UAC is like running everything as root on a UNIX/Linux system. A really bad idea. And with the amount of evil stuff out there, you're setting yourself up for having a PC that is owned. It can still happen with UAC enabled, but at least you have some defense.

I actually suspect something is preventing the UAC prompt, which leads me to wonder if his PC is already infected.
more likely it is just a side effect of using a certain browser or download manager. I'd try downloading via vanilla IE, if you've not already done that.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #15
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Download the portable version, extract it to your profile, start it, have fun. ;-)
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote