Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Please help me debug problem with Calibre crashing when downloading metadata.

A few days ago I succeeded in running my own, a little bit patched version of Calibre. Now, I would like to use it to hunt down an annoying problem I experience for several months. The problem is also present in in canonical binary distribution I have been getting every Friday.

Sometimes, when I press Ctrl+D and download metadata and/or covers, Calibre simply quietly dies. With "Segmentation fault" error message if you have started it from console. Sometimes it happens on second or third attempt to download the medatada, sometimes I download metadata for dozens for books without problem.

What steps can I do to try to find the root of the problem? I have tried running calibre-debug --gui, but there is no better error message.

I am running on Mint Linux (an Ubuntu clone), newest version.

EDIT: If I restart the program and try downloading metadata again, Calibre doesn't crash on the same books.

Last edited by kacir; 09-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Crashes typically happen at the level of C code in libraries calibre uses not calibre code, so they aren't so easy to debug. To start with try running calibre under gdb and get a back trace.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert