Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #22861
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: It's Up To Charlie Hardin by Dean Ing. Boy's childhood adventures so far. I assume that something more SF-y is going to happen at some point.
I was wrong. No SF/Fantasy content at all, just a fictionalised US WWII childhood tale. It was OK, but not really my kind of thing.

Next up: Dark Watcher. The earliest bought book in my TBR pile, from early 2007. It seems to be a paranormal romance, and so concentrates a bit too much on the romance side of things for me, but I'm going to finish it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #22862
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson last night. This is the last book in the (first) Mistborn trilogy. It was still pretty good, but didn't match the first two books, for me. I think some of the directions it chose to go in didn't resonate for me.

That means I've now read all of the books I ever bought from the late Books on Board. These were mainly US editions I shouldn't have been allowed to buy from the UK, but still, it's a minor milestone.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #22863
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I completed The Aeronaut's Windlass yesterday and am now anxiously awaiting both the next Dresden Files book and the next Cinder Spires book!

Meanwhile I borrowed The February Doll Murders (Ed Noon #16) by Michael Avallone from the Amazon lending library and am 15% into it!
I finished The February Doll Murders which was again quite short and also very enjoyable!

I'm now back to reading Veiled and am up to 30%.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #22864
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yup. If I "pretend" I'm in the Us of A, the kindle editions show up. Now how do I actually purchase them I wonder...
thanks for confirming. Thought i was going nuts. (more so)
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #22865
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Ghost Fleet by P W Singer and it was okay not great. Military fiction of a war between China and the US in 2050.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #22866
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up was going to be a Georgette Heyer Regency, Lady of Quality, and I got started with it, but then I found out that Nathan Lowell had released a new Ishmael Wang book, In Ashes Born, so that's taking immediate preference.
Another wonderful book from Nathan Lowell, though it kept me up until 2AM finishing it. In In Ashes Born, Ishmael is very much in recovery mode after the death of Greta, and also at loose ends with the sale of his ship. But now, Pip is back in his life, and the Universe had best watch out!

Lots of old friends are back in Ishmael's life, and we have some new characters, but they don't really get much of a chance to flesh out yet. But we know there's at least two more in this arc of the Solar Clipper universe, so I hope and expect to see some more new friends.

Now, back to Georgette Heyer's Lady of Quality. I'm actually quite enjoying it. This is the very last Regency she wrote, and it's one of her better ones. Delightfully witty.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:53 AM   #22867
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next I'm going to read part 2 (Venice) in Christian Cameron's Tom Swan and the Head of St George series. These are a group of six short stories he wrote back in 2012.
Enjoyed part 2 and since it ended on a cliffhanger, I'll go right into part 3 Constantinople.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:25 AM   #22868
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Another wonderful book from Nathan Lowell, though it kept me up until 2AM finishing it. In In Ashes Born, Ishmael is very much in recovery mode after the death of Greta, and also at loose ends with the sale of his ship. But now, Pip is back in his life, and the Universe had best watch out!

Lots of old friends are back in Ishmael's life, and we have some new characters, but they don't really get much of a chance to flesh out yet. But we know there's at least two more in this arc of the Solar Clipper universe, so I hope and expect to see some more new friends.

Now, back to Georgette Heyer's Lady of Quality. I'm actually quite enjoying it. This is the very last Regency she wrote, and it's one of her better ones. Delightfully witty.
Finished Lady of Quality, and it was a delightful romp. All the wonderful characters you expect in a Georgette Heyer. Less of the ridiculous situations, though the overall premise was suitably unlikely. All in all, very much worth the read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #22869
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Just read 'Alphabet House' by Jussi Adler-Olsen and
Paul Merton's Autobiography. Currently Reading 'Mack
the Life' by Lee Mack and have five more Jussi thrillers
lined up and ready to go!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #22870
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Dark Watcher. The earliest bought book in my TBR pile, from early 2007. It seems to be a paranormal romance, and so concentrates a bit too much on the romance side of things for me, but I'm going to finish it.
It did concentrate far too much on the obvious (and apparently predestined) romance, and not enough on the urban fantasy for my tastes.

Next up: Asimov's SF Magazine, double issue for October/November 2015.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #22871
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Shelved Ellery Queen's Japanese Golden Dozen and instead went for Hard case crime #117 Easy Death. Not bad so far.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #22872
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I am reading Last Man (Mitch Rapp series #13) the last writing book by Vince Flynn R.I.P.
tomorrow #14 The Survivor by Kyle Mills is out.
i send a message to Kyle Mills abut writing books of the early career of Mitch Rapp.
is answer: "Not with the next one, but maybe the one after that. I think it would be fun to finish the prequel trilogy!"
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #22873
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Just had a couple of re-reads this weekend, Venison stew by SA Gorden (I wish there were more of these available) and The Accidental alchemist by Gigi Pandian.

I'm nearly finished The Masquerading Magician by Gigi Pandian which gets released early next year which is also great
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #22874
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Currently reading Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata. A lovely little book.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #22875
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Yesterday, I started reading Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue by Hugh Howey. I'm loving it.

Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote