Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #61
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
- Go to your local pocketbook retailer
- Take a Pocketbook box
- Go to the check point
- Get your credit card out
- Pay
- Go out, and
Tada ! you have a PocketBook firmware !
Witty, are you, Godzil?

Mircea's inquiry is fully justified. Cybook's firmware is, pardon my french, cra...ehm craving an update.

@Mircea
If you want your cybook reflashed with pocketbook's firmware you have to send your unit to a pocketbook service center that's nearest to you. They will do it for you, for a fee (a reasonable one).
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #62
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
@Mircea
If you want your cybook reflashed with pocketbook's firmware you have to send your unit to a pocketbook service center that's nearest to you. They will do it for you, for a fee (a reasonable one).
`r you sure?
If so, I wonder why no one has not done so by now.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #63
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
`r you sure?
If so, I wonder why no one has not done so by now.
Pocketbook does not establish service centers in their Firmware on device company Bookeen.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #64
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Witty, are you, Godzil?
Yes I think

Quote:
Mircea's inquiry is fully justified. Cybook's firmware is, pardon my french, cra...ehm craving an update.
Hum, no his inquiry is not fully justified, or you think that installing a Microsoft Windows OS without the corresponding licence is fully justified?

If you buy a PC without an OS, or with Linux preinstalled, even if your friend have the same PC sell by another that come with Windows, this will not give you the right to install Windows on your PC because "it's the same thing, so I have the right"

Bookeen sell the right to use their firmware/application for the people who have a Cybook, the same for Pocketbook. Even if the device is electronicaly the same, this is purely illegal.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't see this as illegal. Is there any proof that it is illegal?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #66
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

So for you, using the CD/DVD of Windows (or any licenced application, that you didn't get a licence) that you borrow from your friend is legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
Pocketbook does not establish service centers in their Firmware on device company Bookeen.
Sorry do you mean “Pocketbook doesn't provide support for installing their firmware on Bookeen's device” ?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #67
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
So for you, using the CD/DVD of Windows (or any licenced application, that you didn't get a licence) that you borrow from your friend is legal?

Sorry do you mean “Pocketbook doesn't provide support for installing their firmware on Bookeen's device” ?
If he hands me the disc and says, 'Keep it.', yeah, I got no problem with that.

If he brings the disc over, installs it on my machine and then takes the disc back home with him, I have a (minor) problem with that - unless he's saving me the trouble of waiting for a replacement disc from Microsoft - I'm currently at that point regarding my (PAID FOR, do you hear that Microsoft!?!) Alternative Media disc that will allow me to update my legal copy of MS Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Vista Home Premium 64-bit. It's now been nine weeks since the purchase date and three WEEKS beyond the maximum Microsoft estimated delivery date.

So, yeah, it all depends. Of course, some people are so blind as to fair practices that they'd demand that I remove Vista 64-bit until my discs are delivered from MS - which MS refuses to acknowledge sending (or even receiving the order - this despite my printed-out copy of the online receipt) or having received payment for. (Yes, I *have* the bank statement that shows the payment being made.)

If a company cannot be trusted to follow through on it's legal commitments, why should I have to suffer by 'staying legal'??? Answer me that?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #68
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If you buy a PC without an OS, or with Linux preinstalled, even if your friend have the same PC sell by another that come with Windows, this will not give you the right to install Windows on your PC because "it's the same thing, so I have the right"
Yes, but if I buy a PC with Windows I have the right to install Linux on it. Similarly, PocketBook could make their firmware available for the Gen3 hardware - although it isn't clear what they would gain from doing so. OpenInkPot could do the same, and in fact they looked into doing so but the port is stalled (Device/NetronixEB600).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #69
Godzil

But Pocketbook doesn't allow you to install their firmware on other device than theirs.

Pocketbook firmware is not like linux on your PC. Even if an EB600 run linux, the applications can be commercial.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #70
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

We're not on the same page here. His request is justified considering the Bookeen's customer support and customer relations habits, or the lack thereof. It's not possible to install pocketbook's FW illegaly, the full version of PB FW isn't freely distributable or distributed.
I'm positive about the fact that in a pocketbook service center you can have your cybook (sic) reflashed, I asked the guys at pocketbook via email. Why nobody's done that yet? Perhaps because the nearest service center is in Kiev and as Ukraine isn't part of the EU different issues with the customs fees arise, though I'm not sure, but the sole fact that I would have to tackle anything else, but the postal fee dissuaded me from doing so. If they had a service center inside of EU I wouldn't hesitate a frickin minute and my cybook would be off and dispatched to be reflashed with the awesome pocketbook firmware.

Last edited by Abelturd; 11-25-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #71
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Quote:

I apologize for bad English, is forced to use the Google translator.

Firmware from Pocketbook impossible to establish the device company Bookeen. It can not be done by a normal user, and it will not do in the service center Pocketbook.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #72
Forkosigan
Wizard

Quote:
We're not on the same page here. His request is justified considering the Bookeen's customer support and customer relations habits, or the lack thereof. It's not possible to install pocketbook's FW illegaly, the full version of PB FW isn't freely distributable or distributed.
I'm positive about the fact that in a pocketbook service center you can have your cybook (sic) reflashed, I asked the guys at pocketbook via email. Why nobody's done that yet? Perhaps because the nearest service center is in Kiev and as Ukraine isn't part of the EU different issues with the customs fees arise, though I'm not sure, but the sole fact that I would have to tackle anything else, but the postal fee dissuaded me from doing so. If they had a service center inside of EU I wouldn't hesitate a frickin minute and my cybook would be off and dispatched to be reflashed with the awesome pocketbook firmware.
Your nearest service center Pocketbook is located in Nuremberg (Germany), but Nonetheless it as a service center in Kiev, do not install Firmware from Pocketbook on device company Bookeen.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #73
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
Your nearest service center Pocketbook is located in Nuremberg (Germany), but Nonetheless it as a service center in Kiev, do not install Firmware from Pocketbook on device company Bookeen.
I asked specifically about this and the pocketbook staff in kiev told me it's doable for a small fee, but maybe my information is obsolete or they don't do it officially, so now I don't know who's right.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #74
Forkosigan
Wizard

Quote:
I asked specifically about this and the pocketbook staff in kiev told me it's doable for a small fee, but maybe my information is obsolete or they don't do it officially, so now I don't know who's right.
As far as I know it is technically possible, but without permission from Bookeen it will not do. For example company Orsio from Russia gave such permission, and Firmware from Pocketbook was put in service centers the company Pocketbook on device company Orsio.
As to your question in Kiev, there is likely sent to a service center, and there is not understanding that this is not about Orsio, but about Bookeen said that this can be done.

Last edited by Forkosigan; 11-26-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #75
mircea
mircea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi, Cybook Gen3
Hi everybody,
sorry for the storm i started :-)!
For me, the firmware is a piece of software, which, if i buy it, i can use it!
So if I can do the update in a pocketbook service shop, i will (as bookeen seems stalled with the upgrades)

Thank you, regards,
Mircea
mircea is offline   Reply With Quote