Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
dougsyme
dougsyme began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS -505
eBook Library not Displaying Correctly

Hi I'm new to this forum and need help with an annoying problem with the eBook Library software.

I've owned the PRS-505 since just after its launch in the UK on the 4th Sept. The e-book library software was working fine until a week ago. I'm running the Library software on a HP Windows Vista Home Premium PC.

The problem started when I bought and downloaded a new e-book from Waterstone's eBook store. Adobe Digital Editions opened automatically and told me I had to install a newer version before I could continue. This installed, started up, and successfully downloaded the new e-book. I copied the e-book from the Adobe Digital Editions library to the connected Sony Reader. I then started the Sony eBook Library software so I could copy the purchased e-book from the Sony Reader to the library to keep it in sync.

When the library software started I noticed it wasn't displaying correctly. Normally in the library window the narrow left hand pane displays the Source View including the Sony Reader if connected. The larger right hand pane displays the headings Title, Author, Size and Date. What I was seeing was no left land narrow pane at all and no Title heading in the right pane. In fact the Author, Size and Date headings were all that was displayed, Author was displayed as 'uthor' and right up against the left side of the eBook Library window.

I uninstalled and re-installed the software. There was no difference. I then uninstalled the software again and because Sony doesn't clean up after itself properly, I manually deleted the following folders in an attempt to totally remove the software:

AppData/Local/Sony Corporation
Program Files/Sony/Reader

I re-booted the system and re-installed the software. Again no difference. In my view that means there are still bits of the software or control files somewhere on my system which the Sony uninstall is not removing.

After fiddling around with the software I managed to open an e-book, that doesn’t display correctly, now I can’t get back to the library view. I’ve contacted Sony support but they don’t know what the problem is, all they suggested is to re-install Vista. I’d rather not do that just yet. I've attached screen shots of what I see when I open the eBook Library.

Has anyone seen this before? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eBook Library Image.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	16597   Click image for larger version

Name:	eBook Library Image2.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	16598  
dougsyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsyme View Post

Has anyone seen this before? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
There is certainly a setting to turn the navigation pane on and off. Check in the "view" menu. Or, you could just have it collapsed, but I can't tell from your screen shot. Is there a little arrow pointing to the left/right about halfway along the left side/frame of the window? If so, put your mouse in it, and "drag" it to the right to expand the navigation frame.

Alot of software does not uninstall it's user settings/preferences so they are retained when/if you upgrade a new version.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
dougsyme

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunatly there is no left pane displayed, it's a though the whole display has been shited to the left, pushing the left pane out of the display window.

I'm not sure how to insert a screen shot into this message, so I've attached a PDF with a couple of shots.

A very odd situation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony eBook Lib Issues 2.pdf (140.7 KB, 427 views)
Old 09-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunatly there is no left pane displayed, it's a though the whole display has been shited to the left, pushing the left pane out of the display window.

Ok, so can you click on the maximize button? It is in the top right corner just to the left of the X. If you do that, what happens?

BOb
Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try removing or renaming the directory ..\Local Settings\application data\kinoma and then reinstall.
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
dougsyme

eBook Library no Displaying Correctly

Hi, Thanks for your replies.

When I maximise the screen I just get a larger version of the same window, it’s as though the whatever controls the display of the eBook library window has shifter the displayed image to left. No other program is affected by this, just the Sony Library software. I’ve also uninstalled the software, deleted the ..\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation folder (there is no ..\Local Settings\application data\kinoma forlder, I running Vista), re-booted re-installed, but it’s just the same. It’s aso though there is something left of the software sill on my system.

I may have to restore my PC back factory settings as Sony suggests.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I maximise the screen I just get a larger version of the same window, it’s as though the whatever controls the display of the eBook library window has shifter the displayed image to left.
It looks and sounds to me like there is some type of control that they are using which perhaps there is another version of on your PC. When did this start happening? Was it as soon as you installed the new version? Or, did it work at first then stop? If the latter did you install anything else right before it stopped working?

BOb
Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What Sony supprt suggested, (in a nearby post) is to delete:

For Vista

C:\ProgramData\kinoma
C:\ProgramData\Marlin
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation
C:\Users\%usernam%\AppData\Local\kinoma

After doing so, reinstall your Connect Reader software from:
http://ebooks.connect.com/downloadclient.html

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
dougsyme

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your help, it's now working.

I followed Bob's post and deleted the directories listed, including the kinoma directories, that did it.

I'm now up and running again.

I only wish Sony Support had sugest this when I first called.

Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I just got this problem too.
One more for saving your timeif you get the problem too.

Delete all as they suggest except C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library

Then try execute agian, If it works fine
If it is not, delete the rest and install....
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
I just got this problem too.
One more for saving your timeif you get the problem too.

Delete all as they suggest except C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library

Then try execute agian, If it works fine
If it is not, delete the rest and install....
Hi keng.

Can you please explain why not to delete this exception?

I am using Vista myself, and I have no such folder. Sony's suggestion for Vista is to delete:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader

Can you please confirm the name of the folder, and that you are using Vista? I'm working on a separate post to hopefully give the full instructions on how to un-install and re-install the eBook Library v2.5.

I'm trying to collate instructions from MR members and Sony's online solutions. They supplied me with this link, which also has some discrepancies that I am currently questioning:
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1000822

Could you also confirm which version you were trying to delete. Is it possible that v2.2 kept folders in different places?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks...WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-20-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
LugeZ
LugeZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrjl View Post
What Sony supprt suggested, (in a nearby post) is to delete:

For Vista

C:\ProgramData\kinoma
C:\ProgramData\Marlin
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation
C:\Users\%usernam%\AppData\Local\kinoma

After doing so, reinstall your Connect Reader software from:
http://ebooks.connect.com/downloadclient.html

bob
I am using Vista also, however I don't have a ProgramData folder nor a AppData folder. Is there another way I can fix this problem.
LugeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugeZ View Post
I am using Vista also, however I don't have a ProgramData folder nor a AppData folder. Is there another way I can fix this problem.
You need to unhide these files using windows explorer.

Go into C: drive and select "organize" then "Folder and Search options" until you get the attached screen.

Then tick of the box to show hidden files.

WDE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Show-hidden-folders.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	28188  
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
LugeZ
LugeZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
You need to unhide these files using windows explorer.

Go into C: drive and select "organize" then "Folder and Search options" until you get the attached screen.

Then tick of the box to show hidden files.

WDE.
WOW! THANKS! It worked perfectly. Thanks again for your help.
LugeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Thanks, WDE:

I've been having exactly the same problem for several weeks now. I followed your instructions, found 'show hidden files' was, indeed, un-ticked, ticked it and ... suddenly ... nothing happened. The problem persists. Like Doug, I've uninstalled, re-installed and tried a whole bunch of other stuff until I'm blue in the face. Still no source view, so I can't drop books into my PRS-505 and the entire library's currently redundant. Darned frustrating because there are dozens of titles in there I really want to read. So it goes.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote