Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which cloud service are you preferring?
Amazon Web Services 11 11.96%
iCloud 6 6.52%
DropBox 53 57.61%
Sugarsync 7 7.61%
Skydrive 2 2.17%
Did I miss your one? Don't forget to submit a reply! 13 14.13%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #46
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Yeah right I'm gonna trust some website with personal data. please tell me where I can send my address, credit card info, bank account info, voting preferences and so on, on some website run by people whose Identities or faces I ignore. And I take what ? their word that they will keep this private.

Big Brother is watching you guys, shame on it, but you willingly giving in to that, shame on you.

Edit: on the Dropbox website, it seems you have to download an application to your computer so that the info on your computer can be sent to the cloud. They call it an application, I call it a Trojan ...
That really depends on how you use it.

You can actually get a Dropbox account without downloading it. It is somewhat easier if you download it, because you have access to the folder when you're offline. But you don't have to. If you click "login" in the upper left, then "create an account," you don't have to download anything. You can just use it online only if you want.

I agree with putting personal data on there. If absolutely nothing else, Dropbox is still obligated, like any other site, to turn over your account to the gov if requested. And that's if nothing else. They say they don't allow employs access to your files, but who knows whether that's true in practice.

That said, how good or bad a given service is partly depends on how you decide to use it. Cloud services exist because they are useful. If you use it in a naive way, well... that doesn't change the fact. I like useful things. I also like privacy. I can do both at the same time by being a smart internet user.

If you put your personal data on a cloud service and expect no one to ever look through it, or for it to not possibly bite you in the ass someday, you're naive. Not only do you run the risk of losing privacy, you also run the risk of losing your data.

But do I worry about someone seeing my articles, which are posted online, or my poli sci essay on agriculture, which I sent to my professor through the school website? No. I worry about it even less because I have offline backups as well. It makes my work and school life easier.

I'm not naive enough to put anything in my Dropbox that I would mind someone else seeing. In most cases, it's something they're supposed to see. And what isn't is probably stuff no one cares about anyway - lecture notes and the like. Using it that way, the cloud is useful for me and poses no risk to my privacy.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-17-2011 at 05:46 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #47
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post

I've been using Dropbox for a couple of years and totally missed the double referral bonus for edu accounts. I just changed my dropbox account to my University email account and my free space jumped from 10.25 gigs to 18.25 gigs.

Karma to you!
Hmmm... this didn't work for me?

I got a free account (2gb), completed a bunch of steps, got another 250mb, and have had one person referred through me which is another 250mb, so 2.5gb total.

I just changed my email to my university email... and it still says my total space available is 2.5gb. Am I missing something?

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-17-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 AM   #48
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
Hmmm... this didn't work for me?

I got a free account (2gb), completed a bunch of steps, got another 250mb, and have had one person referred through me which is about 250mb, so 2.5gb total.

I just changed my email to my university email... and it still says my total space available is 2.5gb. Am I missing something?
I believe I had to jump through this link to verify my edu address. You will get a email at your edu account. When you reply to this email the 1 referral you have should change from 250 to 500 so you would see your account change from 2.5gb to 2.75gb after verification.

I had 8gb of referrals so mine increased by 8gb.

Added the step to my previous post.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-17-2011 at 04:20 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 AM   #49
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I believe I had to jump through this link to verify my edu address. You will get a email at you edu account. When you reply to this email the 1 referral you have should change from 250 to 500 so you would see your account change from 2.5gb to 2.75gb after verification.

I had 8gb of referrals so mine increased by 8gb.

Added the step to my previous post.
Yay! I now have 2.75gb.

Karma for you!

It's Christmas on the internet.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #50
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I use three daily.

I use dropbox for my calibre library.
I use icloud for my iphone and ipad backup. (quite new... but it's alright so far)
I use google for syncing of my contacts, calendar and mail.

I use my trusty external storage hd to backup all of the above.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 AM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My cloud is a mSD card. So really, I have no need for clouds.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #52
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #53
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I use dropbox a lot, but, as others have noted, it's not so much cloud storage as cloud syncing. It's a good way to keep documents available between my work computer, home computer, netbook, iphone, and ipad. I also have a shared folder with my gf that we use *a lot* - often while in the same room.

I use an external HD for backup, but I also use CrashPlan, an online backup service basically like Mozy or Carbonite. I don't entirely trust it, but I trust it much more than I do HDs, several of which I've had fail on me. So I use both. It's nice that CrashPlan is offsite, too.

I have 400+ GBs on CrashPlan, which took weeks to upload.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #54
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I use Dropbox, Carbonite, and a home NAS/Personal Cloud called TonidoPlug. I use Dropbox mostly because of its most excellent UI. If the TonidoPlug UI wasn't so clugy and hard to use, I'd be using it exclusively as that way I'd not have to store my stuff on someone else’s servers.

Carbonite was recently a life saver, a set it and forget it automatic off site backup solution. My PC died and had to be replaced. I just pointed the new PC at my Carbonite account, and a few hours later all my stuff was back, and up to date.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #55
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I use Dropbox to sync key files among all my computers. For backup I use an external hard drive connected to a Pogoplug, which makes the drive accessible from any Internet-connected device.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #56
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I don't use just one service. First, I have my own copies at home on both portable HDs, DVD rips and my MacPro (2TB x 4 HDbays). I have on Amazon the unlimited music for $20 a year but have not loaded all my music yet. I have over 200GB of music files on my computer, mostly ripped off my (and my brothers) CD collection. When music match is started in iTunes I'll also do that for $20 a year. I currently use Dropbox's 5GB for some of my book collection (all of my ebooks are on DVD) and Amazon has a few hundred on their Kindle files. I've given copies of family pictures to all my relatives (took me 2 years to collect everyones photos and scan them). Another program/site I use is Evernote. I keep my lists (ebooks, DVDs, comics and Blu-rays) and passwords on this App. Updates to my Apple devices.

Last edited by pagansoul; 10-25-2011 at 01:42 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #57
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Just reopened this thread after a month to post this.

AS many people say here, backup services DO come and go like a breeze. Thanks to MR, I didn't store any data on there.

Spoiler:

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-16-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Graphic too large. Enclosed in spoiler tags.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #58
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My cloud is a mSD card. So really, I have no need for clouds.
X2

SDHC is the way to go for me too.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #59
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I've given up on Clouds. Ran out of space on Dropbox. Tried to cut up my library and only saved the most recent stuff, but that was a mess. I though about uploading Calibre to the Amazon cloud, but there are some library books in my library, and I don't know what kind of metadata might be discoverable. So I am back to plain old backups.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Just reopened this thread after a month to post this.

AS many people say here, backup services DO come and go like a breeze. Thanks to MR, I didn't store any data on there.

Spoiler:
Well that just swell. Not really the comment I wanted to make, but as a moderator, if I spoke my mind on how I feel about companies doing that I'd have to ban myself.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, data, data in the cloud, documents in the cloud, library, mobile, online storage, personal, virtual storage