Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
nodata
nodata began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Fedora 14 + Sony PRS-300: calibre doesn't work

Hi,

I upgraded from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 especially to get the new version of Calibre!

Unfortunately it doesn't work!

Under Preferences I choose "Debug Device Detection" and I get this:

Version: 0.7.20
[..]
Looking for POCKETBOOK301
Looking for POCKETBOOK360
Looking for PRS505
(1356, 798, 553, 'Sony', 'Sony Digital Book Reader', '0800461000DFA1E8')
Looking for README
Looking for S60
[..]
Looking for TECLAST_K3
Looking for THEBOOK
Devices possibly connected: SONY Device Interface,
Trying to open SONY Device Interface ... failed
Opening of the following devices failed
<calibre.devices.prs505.driver.PRS505 object at 0x2156b10>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/devices/__init__.py", line 117, in debug
dev.open()
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 637, in open
self.open_linux()
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 621, in
open_linux
mp, ret = mount(card, typ)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 598, in mount
ret = do_mount(node, label)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 593, in
do_mount
_('Could not find mount helper: %s.')%cmd[0])
DeviceError: Could not find mount helper: calibre-mount-helper.

I checked, and there is no file called calibre-mount-helper anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?
nodata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
nodata

Here is the workaround:

echo -e '#!/bin/sh\nexit 1' > /usr/bin/calibre-mount-helper ; chmod +x /usr/bin/calibre-mount-helper

and here is a quote from a Linux developer about this:

We rely on the desktop's automounting for ebook storage volumes. Quite frankly, calibre-mount-helper is really not appropriate to ship, it's by and large an unsafe rewrite of the much better understood mechanisms that udisks and even hal already provide. It's not necessary for calibre to work either, once the OS automounts the storage volumes they will just appear automatically in calibre's UI.

-- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...58/comments/12

So calibre just needs to drop the calibre-mount-helper program for distros that use udev
Old 10-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should be posting this in a fedora forum/bug tracker. What's the point of posting it here?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
nodata

I posted here because I was having a problem with Calibre, and I heard the maintainer was very helpful.

Then I found a workaround, and posted an update. The workaround needs to be applied to every version of Linux (Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Suse) that uses automounting. So I posted information on that too.

I also posted this to the Fedora bugzilla, but that won't really help since it's a problem that needs solving in calibre.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is not a problem in calibre. It is a problem in the Fedora package of calibre, where they have rendered calibre-mount-helper not functional.

Indeed, calibre linux packages are generally so poor in quality that I always tell people to not use the distro provided package and instead use the binary install from the calibre website.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
nodata

Oh dear. I have notified the Fedora packager, and he will check the patch that he had to enable the mount-helper. Here is the link:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=641610
Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
nodata

Update: I also linked back to here from the bug. Maybe you could talk to the maintainer so he can fix whatever problems you are having with his packages. That way it would work out less work for you? I can add your e-mail as CC for the bug if you like.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
nirik
nirik began at the beginning.

Device: android
Hello. One of the fedora calibre maintainers here.

I'd be happy to improve the packaging in fedora. In this case there are very good reasons not to ship the calibre-mount-helper however. Our desktops automatically mount mass storage devices when attached. A mount-helper would just mount them a second time or otherwise confuse things and be an unneeded step.

I've pushed an updated package for testing, so please do test and let me know if it works for you.
nirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There's nothing to work out. Basically, the package maintainer has to decide whether he wants to ship calibre-mount-helper or not. If he doesn't want to ship it, he should replace it with a script that does the same thing using whatever distro specific technique he likes.

calibre-mount-helper is 50 lines of C code, it should be trivial to replace. I am not going to write the replacement as the current calibre-mount-helper is the best cross distro way of doing mounting and I make it a policy to write as little context specific code as possible.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@nirik: calibre expects either that the disks are always mounted before calibre tries to mount them or that calibre-mount-helper mounts them.

I seriously doubt you can guarantee that the disk will always be mounted, therefore if you don't want to ship calibre-mount-helper, then you should replace it with a shell script that does the mounting/ejecting. Otherwise, you cripple calibre functionality and I get to deal with the bug reports.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

To help you, here are the three way calibre-mount-helper is called

Code:
calibre-mount-helper mount device_node mount_point
calibre-mount-helper eject device_node mount_point
calibre-mount-helper cleanup device_node mount_point
At a minimum you must implement the mount and eject commands.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
nirik
nirik began at the beginning.

Device: android
They should be always mounted when calibre should be dealing with them. I have a replacement for calibre-mount-helper, it just didn't get put in place in recent versions. Sorry for any problems this may have caused you.

There should be a test package available that fixes this.

Thanks.
nirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
dalark
dalark began at the beginning.

Device: sony
what the hell is going on with these answers, some of us just have emachines and want to read a book... you linux guys crack me up with all the mumbo jumbo.. go get windows.. now do any of you heavy karma geniuses know why an old dinasauor like the prs300 will not connect with calibre????
dalark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@dalark: Now there's a text book example of asking a question so that it will get no answers.

> /dev/null
Old 05-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodata View Post
Hi,

I upgraded from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 especially to get the new version of Calibre!
Why would you not use the binary version available on the Calibre web site?
It works with Fedora 13 doesn't it?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fedora, fedora 14, prs-300, prs300, sony