Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
kobo discounts on certain type of books

Trying to get my daughter onto a Sony reader,,,so she came back from the bookstore with a list of typical teen/young adults titles,,,all of them are never eligible for kobo promo codes,,,is this typical ???
So wondering where and when is best try to find teen books on sale..
Thanks for ant tips.
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
As far as I know, Kobo doesn't currently allow coupons to be used on most big publisher books (in the US and many other countries; in some countries, all books are coupon-eligible). They did for a while just recently, so this may change again at some point.

Your daughter's list probably includes big publisher titles, so, yes, that's probably going to be typical.

I don't know about Kobo but Amazon often has publisher-backed deals on young adult books, especially earlier books in series whenever a new book in the series is about to come out. I've noticed HarperTeen is especially good at offering their books on deep discounts at times, but they're not the only publisher to do that.

Unless you're comfortable with (a) waiting for a specific title to go on sale, and (b) buying in whatever format is discounted, it's probably not going to be very helpful, though.

I suppose your options are either to check if your library lets you borrow ebooks or add your daughter's list to ereaderiq or another similar price check site list that will notify you if the title has dropped to whatever level you specify. Most such notification sites that I'm aware of just check Amazon, but even if you don't want to buy from there, if a big publisher book is currently discounted on Amazon, it's worth checking if it's discounted also on Kobo or elsewhere (sometimes deals are shop-specific, sometimes not).

That's not going to help with instant gratification (and if you're just trying to get your daughter to switch to e-reading, "wait for months until a book you want to read now comes down in price" probably isn't going to be a winning argument), but it's the best option I can think of.

Basically, I suspect that for almost any list that is based on "what bookshops have on display right now", it's going to be hard to find great deals as these tend to be brand new books, currently generating buzz, published by big publishers, so probably not on sale and not eligible for coupons.

You could also see if she's interested in smaller publisher books - I don't know about their Kobo coupon state, but Strange Chemistry is a YA offshoot of Angry Robot which publishes young adult titles regularly and at fairly reasonable prices. Their books have been a bit hit or miss for me, but some of their books have been pretty good.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcread View Post
Trying to get my daughter onto a Sony reader,,,so she came back from the bookstore with a list of typical teen/young adults titles,,,all of them are never eligible for kobo promo codes,,,is this typical ???
So wondering where and when is best try to find teen books on sale..
Thanks for ant tips.
With Kobo promo codes It depends which country you are in, and which publisher the books are with. US is probably the worst for discounts as none of the big publishers are discountable there. But in other countries usually some or even all of the big publishers are discountable. Most small publishers and self-published books are discountable everywhere.

I don't know where to look for teen books specifically, but if you are in the US then Diesel often has good prices on Macmillan books, and OmniLit often has some sort of rebate scheme or other deal on HarperCollins and Hachette books. The trick is to put the books you want on a wishlist, be patient, and buy when they go on special. A price-watch site such as Luzme can be a good way to do this.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for your info.......i never thought these promos would not be valid for teen books...
every single book on her list about 10 of them was not valid for any discount...
i might just buy her one now and see how it goes...just thought i could save some money this way and buy on promo...ps... i have not thought of amazon for ebooks...
i will have to research and see how easy it is ...
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
It's not that the coupons aren't valid for teen books; it's that they aren't valid for big publisher books and any list made in a bookshop, for young adult books probably even more so than adult books (if only because all in all, the selection is smaller), is quite likely to feature currently popular, well-displayed, hot-right-now books - books that people are talking about, books that are being turned into movies, books that friends have read and recommended.

And those books are far more likely to be big publisher books than small publisher books.

It definitely pays to shop around though - Kobo, if you cannot use a coupon, currently tends to be more expensive for a lot of books than other shops are.

If you do buy a book for her and she turns out to enjoy the e-reading experience, do consider the various price comparison sites and "wishlist" sites (where you can add all the books you're interested in and get e-mailed when the price drops). In the long run, this might well be helpful!
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't know how it is where you live, but my local library carries a much better selection of digital teen books than digital books for adults. It might be worth checking it out. Kobo plays nicely with Overdrive, which is what my library (and many others) uses.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Give her a budget and let her look for herself. Teaches basic finances and planning as well as getting her reading. If you REALLY want her to read a specific book, forbid it
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote