Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
malifact
malifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheese

Device: None
Installing Foreign Dictionaries

I ordered a PRS-T1 which should be with me later this week. I've never owned a Sony reader and I had a question about foreign dictionaires. I've read about the dictionary feature on the T1 and I was wondering if will it be possible to install other dictionaries (through an add-on or other means). I'd really like to be able to install a Japanese-English dictionary without installing the Japanese firmware for the T1. Has this been possible with earlier Sony readers? Thanks in advance.
malifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm afraid I don't remember anyone ever posting about successfully installing other dictionaries. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
This wasn't possible with the other Sony Readers using the firmware that they came with. It might be possible with PRS+, however.

I would love to be able to add a few dictionaries... Latin, Greek, Japanese.

The PRS-T1 is using Android now, though, so it might be possible to now add dictionaries to it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
It might be possible with PRS+, however.
Not with the current version of PRS+, I'm afraid
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I would love to be able to add a few dictionaries... Latin, Greek, Japanese
Portuguese would be far more useful to me than Dutch.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
saturos
saturos began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 / Samsung Galaxy II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Portuguese would be far more useful to me than Dutch.

It mentioned to have 12 dictionaries so I thought that Portuguese was included.
saturos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
sebasdoes
sebasdoes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
On that note, does anyone know if it's possible to install the Japanese firmware on the Dutch/European version of the PRS-T1?
sebasdoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
Are the dictionaries different in non-English speaking countries? Mine has two English dictionaries (American and English) and the other ten are bilingual: English to and from French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch.

I wondered if other countries had dictionaries in their own language?
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
sebasdoes
sebasdoes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The Japanese version has other dictionaries. A native Japanese dictionary, and the English ones if I recall correctly. I wouldn't know for other versions.
sebasdoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insalata View Post
Are the dictionaries different in non-English speaking countries? Mine has two English dictionaries (American and English) and the other ten are bilingual: English to and from French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch.

I wondered if other countries had dictionaries in their own language?
From previous discussions those are it.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
PRS-T1s delivered in France have the same dictionaries listed by Insalata. Seem to be the same ones everywhere.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
cpa
cpa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Seems that the T1 dictionary are msdict (from http://www.mobisystems.com/ ) dictionaries... so maybe would be easy add new ones...

I guess the first step would be extract Japanese dictionaries from the Japanese T1 and try to put them under European/American T1 version and see if them will work...

Of course both must be rooted before...

The dictionaries has the .msd extension. I'm looking for some file like this, but I still didn't found...

Regards...
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #13
cpa
cpa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
could someone to upload all files under /ebook/dic/ folder from a Japanese version of T1??

This could be very illuminating
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote